What do you think about when you swim / run?

(63 Posts)
BuiltForComfort Thu 07-Feb-13 12:30:11

Have started trying to get fit - bit of swimming, should get into running too.. But I struggle with my thoughts - 30-40 mins of lane swimming either gets very dull or I can't switch off with thinking about a few difficult things that have happened to me in recent years. I don't want to dwell on it all, it makes the swim into a negative experience. How do you occupy your mind?

To preempt the most obvious answer on running - music would be the easy answer but I don't get on well with earphones and spend all my time readjusting them or getting tangled with the wires. And I don't like cutting myself off from whats going on around me IYKWIM.

Cycling is my favourite as you have to concentrate on the roads / route and there is lots to look at as you whizz along. But have hurt hand and can't brake so that's off for a while. Running is embarrassingly slow - not so much variety to look at!

melliebobs Sat 09-Feb-13 08:24:07

For running I go to ParkRun every saturday. It's a group, doesn't matter how crap u are, can have a chat with some n a rewarding brew after smile

ILoveTIFFANY Sat 09-Feb-13 08:33:09

Gosh couldn't run without my music! It's what spurs me on

And is it my imagination but could my running have improved due to downloading running trax by ministry of sound?

I've improved..... But is it the beat of the music or because I've been doing shred too and got stronger??

mercury7 Sat 09-Feb-13 10:46:05

for me the point of running is that it keeps body fat down like no other cardio i've tried.
It's also torture compared to other cardiosad
but gives a better high afterwardssmile

i wish i found it effortless in the way that some people do!

bigbadbarry Sat 09-Feb-13 14:55:22

bonkers I didn't get on with the over-the-ear ones I tried, they kept dropping off! I have these though I can't remember where I bought them. If you fancy a change I recommend them highly smile

bonkersLFDT20 Sat 09-Feb-13 22:28:07

mercury I know exactly what you mean about running being the best thing for a cardio workout. When I was injured and had to use the exercise bike I simply could not get going fast enough to get my heart beating the same way - not without increasing the resistance too much, and I didn't want to end up with massive legs!

Luckily, I don't find running at all torturous!

bigbad Ooooh, they're nice. I maybe have larger ear flaps (or whatever the top of the ear is called!) than you do. My overears stay over my ears, and also help keep my hair back at bit (though I have stupid hair for running - too short to tie up, but long enough to piss me right off when the wind is behind or to the side of me!).

bigbadbarry Sat 09-Feb-13 22:36:37

I think it might be called your pinna? Haven't looked it up so am prepared to be very wrong smile I have fringe issues too and am on the look out for a bandy thing that will gold it back and keep my ears warm but not annoy me. Is a minefield.

bigbadbarry Sat 09-Feb-13 22:36:53

Um, hold it back. Obvs.

thenightsky Sat 09-Feb-13 22:41:22

I have hair that is too short to tie up and long enough to get on my nerves when running. I've solved it with this handy little headband and it keeps my ears warm too.

I've got one of those headbands too, I suffer with ear ache in cold wind but get too hot running with a hat on, is is just the thing, only problem is if I wear it over my ears it makes my earphones dig in and feel uncomfortable. It solves the finge problem nicely though, so all round it's a winner.

lottiegarbanzo Sat 09-Feb-13 22:52:17

With swimming there's enough necessary awareness of others and counting lengths to prevent drifting into in depth contemplation. I find myself thinking about small but often enjoyable 'problems' like what recipes to cook, outfit to wear, little bits of everyday logistics, sometimes running through conversations.

With running I can get more into a topic. I do often find I work through negative thoughts about people and situations while running but then feel much happier afterwards, in the running high. Other times happier thoughts, again, imagined conversations and hinting about tasks and plans.

lottiegarbanzo Sat 09-Feb-13 22:52:46

Hinting? To whom? No, thinking!

bonkersLFDT20 Sun 10-Feb-13 08:10:28

I look a twat with those bands on my head [vain]

sarahtigh Sun 10-Feb-13 08:17:31

while I would rather swim that run,

it is not necessary in any of these exercises to push yourself to the extent you can not talk, there is lots of benefits to lower grade activity, in fact just walking 3-4 miles a day is good, however if you wish to go fast that is fine but there is no need for anyone to push themselves unless they want to

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now