GET FIT and/or LOSE WEIGHT in 2013: Support and motivation thread

(82 Posts)
Croccy1979 Fri 28-Dec-12 15:19:43

I have decided to get fit in 2013 after being somewhat lazy in the second half of 2012 so thought I would start a support thread so we can motivate and support each other (and congratulate each other on our successes of course!).

Feel free to join, whatever your fitness goal is, whether it's running a marathon or 5K. Just post your fitness goal below and then keep us updated of your progress....

I will start: I am generally quite fit but got really lazy in the second half of 2012. My (first) fitness goal for 2013 is to run 10k by the end of February........my second goal is to tone up my bottom, as it used to be quite nice (if I do say so myself) but now it is looking rather out of shape......

Answering your question though Peachy, zumba classes very much depend on the instructors. I'm so lucky.

Nothing wrong in trying out a few classes in your area! If dancing isn't your thing then Spinning is supposed to great & boxercise too.

I really need to tone up! I've just turned 40 and i'm wobbly smile

peachypips Mon 07-Jan-13 19:04:57

Think I'll try body pump when DH comes back on Fri. Or spinning. Do you read the Times? There is a suppliment every day this week on toning and fat burning. Really good. Just bought some dumb bells- eek!

No, don't read The Times. Might pick it up tomorrow. I'm still aching from Body Pump on Sat morning!!! Just finished Core Strength & zumba tonight....my abs will feel it tomorrow, but its a good pain.
Les Mills calls it Body Pump, there is another franchise that calls it PumpFX. I assume anything with 'Pump' in the title is bar & weight work!
I love it, its really reduced the old bingo wings smile

I'm also aching, wish I had an excuse beyond a 40 minute walk earlier and being a horse for 4yo charge this evening hmm Good aching though, not the usual aching, that's quite calm at the moment confused Can't complain! I have a 'rest day' in terms of walking tomorrow, but I am working later than usual and then have an hour and a half of climbing and an hour swimming tomorrow evening! First swimming lesson since I was a kid, really looking forward to it!

Oo, is that what Body Pump is? Never realised that.

Hey confused, good luck with your swimming lesson!

Our body pump is a 50 min class with bar & weights.
We do work on these areas:
Warm up
Squats
Chest
Back
More squats
Biceps
Abs
Cool down

The sweat is always running of me by the end & I really love it!!

Thank you smile I can swim already but am hideously bad at the one stroke I know so too embarrassed to go for a swim at my local pool blush

Apart from the squats I could do all of that, I might have a look at my local body pump classes, I know that they have them everywhere here! Not that I know when I'll fit them in between work and walking and climbing hmm

peachypips Tue 08-Jan-13 12:24:36

Feeling fed up as I just weighed myself and I have put on 5 pounds over Christmas!
More running and weights needed- I also want to get rid of bingo wings. Going to have to settle for DVDs this week until I can get outside again. I need to have toned arms before the mythological sun arrives!

Peachy 5lb isn't that bad! You'll get that off in no time.

Just found out my classes on Thurs have been cancelled, so i'll not be able to go until Sat morning now hmm

On the plus side, my abs are killing from last night!!

BsshBossh Tue 08-Jan-13 20:49:47

I will join you all. Lost a couple of stones last year mainly through careful eating (smaller portions, less snacking). Towards the end of the year I joined a gym and started swimming. Loved it. But Christmas has made me into a blob. I haven't dared weigh myself properly but think I've put on half a stone. So new year and all that - want to lose another stone and a half - 21lbs. Same fitness regimen (cardio - swimming & gym work) thrice a week, smaller portions and less/no snacking.

Went swimming 45 mins on Saturday and 45 mins gym work (treadmill, stepper) yesterday but still haven't got my eating on track (still being seduced by leftover Xmas goodies!).

But tomorrow is another day. I will go swimming again and start eating better (after tonight's key lime pie!).

peachypips Tue 08-Jan-13 21:04:37

Well done! I just did my Times work out with weights. Can feel every muscle which is a good sign. Onward and upward!

Hey Bssh! Sounds like you are getting yourself back into the swing of things.

Peachy- great start!! Be gone Bingo Wings.

Gutted I don't have classes till Saturday!! I'll have to work extra hard smile

No swimming in the end today, I was gutted. They emailed me back this morning saying that they only had one space left in the class and the other person had only let her know this morning hmm I asked for those 2 places last week! Cheeky beggars. So No lessons for now, but at least it means that my climbing partner and I can have a good catch-up and giggle and perv over the newbies who are gorgeous for longer every Tuesday ;)

I weighed myself today and am 66.1kg, 2 more than a couple of months ago. DP and I have gained a bit of weight over the past couple of month. Too many takeouts and big meals! We're focussing on eating healthily and less takeouts this year, and treating ourselves less frequently to cheese feasts!

North: that sucks! Are you going to do anything instead or have a rest day?

Bssh: Do you find doing it thrice a week okay, or do you find yourself wanting to do it more/less often? I am debating joining a gym and whilst I couldn't do much cardio in the gym I could do weights and swimming grin But I haven't used a gym properly before, found it boring and couldn't get into the swing of things blush

The classes I do aren't part of a gym, they are a couple of very gorgeous fabulous lads who formed their own company & run classes in schools/halls etc so I don't have other classes to go to. Thurs classes have been cancelled as school isn't available hmm
I'll be extra strict on portion control until then & will probably go for long walk on Fri

It's a bugger about your swimming!

I don't need 2 places for myself btw, DP was going to come with me grin We're both relieved as he wants a break after a couple of full on days at uni and I'm shattered.

I have now also been roped into climbing on Friday night too by the only two friends I have as we haven't had a chance to spend time with all three of us since before Christmas. I'll be sleeping halfway up the wall by Sunday!

Sorry, posted too soon (I do that constantly!)

Pretty good set up then for your classes, I'd love to be able to do that kind of thing! I think I'd die in one of those classes grin Have you got nice areas to walk nearby? I must admit that I didn't realise how many nice walks there were near me until I started researching walks to do later, now I'm really up for training to do longer walks more frequently smile

Confused, i live in the heart of Northumberland, I truly believe i have some of the most glorious scenery in the country around me!! Some I have to drive to like Hadrian's Wall / Pennine Way & shorter ones close by. We walk a lot in the summer with DS.

Actually just writing this has inspired me! A walk on Saturday it is grin

Oh! Driving distance to Hadrian's Wall! If only I was! Very jealous wink I'm also quite luckily though for walking, I live a two minute walk from part of the south downs and have some nice seaside walks within a fifteen minute drive. I'm doing a really weird walk on saturday despite this, walking through industrial estates for two of the ten miles hmm

Oh you have the south downs & seaside!! How lucky are you?
We are only an hour or so from the Lakes too, so in the summer we drive across there.

You've inspired me, I think we'll head out on Saturday unless the snow arrives smile

Ah, but I've lived by the sea most of my life, the downs is a welcome change to places I've lived in the past though. I was supposed to walk today, but ended up at work until 5:30 and have just got home. Not sure whether to go for a alk in the dark or just leave it today :/

From Monday DP and I are having a contest to see who can get the most Fitocracy points by the end of the month and on a monthly basis for the rest of the year. I must beat him wink

BsshBossh Thu 10-Jan-13 20:20:10

ConfusedPixie I really enjoy going to the gym as when I'm using the treadmill and stepper I can catch up on BBC New 24 or listen to my own music; if I'm swimming I just go into a kind of zone which chills me out even though I'm swimming really fast - it's the silence I like when swimming. I'd like to go an extra day (so 4 times) but it's not really practical right now.

So, I thought I'd put on weight over the holiday season but actually I've lost 2 lbs so despite over-eating it must have been the exercise that kept the weight off.

So that's 30lbs off since June 2012. I'm back monitoring calories/food portions, reduced snacking/eating only when hungry so fingers crossed...

Hi Guys,
Can I join in? I seriously need to get motivated, I am generally a fit person but over the last year eveything has gone to pot. My problem is getting started, hopefully once I get the bug again I will keep going. I like cycling to work but the rain before xmas and now the freezing conditions have really put me off! I am planning to get to the running club tomorrow at 9am to give myself a good push.
Wish me luck!

I did a ten mile walk today in the cold and drizzle. I hurt like hell and I'm climbing in the morning sad I will die by the end of tomorrow!

Bssh: That's fair enough, I wouldn't mind going and watching TV on the machines, I would end up hogging the treadmill though as it's about all I can do grin I wonder if I could get away with four hours on a treadmill? wink

Nice one RE the weight loss over Christmas!

Pass: Feel free grin Group exercising seems to be my thing I've discovered, having other people who are relying on me organising the exercise event so therefore need me to be there stops me backing out so often!

How's it going ladies?
I've been keeping to the plan & did 2 classes Sat morning & 2 Mon night. Hardly aching at all now & back into full swing.
Have just been chatting to instructor on twitter & he's persuaded me to do all 3 classes on Sat morning....what have I let myself in for !!!! grin

Well done smile Good luck for Sat morning ;) you may need it!

I climbed on Saturday, 6 climbs which was good considering we were late and then spent an hour hanging around filling in forms! Haven't done anything since then though.

I had a massive blister on the back of my ankle from walking which burst during my first climb on Sunday. By the end of climbing it was mostly off and dirt had gotten under the skin so I had to cut the skin off and now it's cracked and dry sad Anyone have any tips to help it heal? I left it alone yesterday but it was cracking today so I lathered on some of the old fashioned thick nivea cream (the plainest thing I have in the house) and have bunged a plaster on it. I'm hoping that softens it enough that walking tomorrow will be okay!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now