GET FIT and/or LOSE WEIGHT in 2013: Support and motivation thread

(82 Posts)
Croccy1979 Fri 28-Dec-12 15:19:43

I have decided to get fit in 2013 after being somewhat lazy in the second half of 2012 so thought I would start a support thread so we can motivate and support each other (and congratulate each other on our successes of course!).

Feel free to join, whatever your fitness goal is, whether it's running a marathon or 5K. Just post your fitness goal below and then keep us updated of your progress....

I will start: I am generally quite fit but got really lazy in the second half of 2012. My (first) fitness goal for 2013 is to run 10k by the end of February........my second goal is to tone up my bottom, as it used to be quite nice (if I do say so myself) but now it is looking rather out of shape......

peachypips Mon 31-Dec-12 18:12:42

I have done the podrunner intervals before, but not NHS. Need a change! Went out yesterday! Feeling very proud of myself and a little drunk on G and T!

chutney: what stomach toning are you doing? I was thinking of doing crunches but have found out that they are effective up but only to a certain point so you need variety which I don't know about really confused

I am not sure what to do apart from crunches and hooping. I have my hula hoop and hopefully will have room to hoop by the end of the month <<fingers crossed>>

chutneypig Mon 31-Dec-12 19:45:19

I did the MuTu system earlier this year ConfusedPixie. I'd done a lot of abdominal work with the 30 day shred and it helped tone everywhere but my stomach. I saw about MuTu on MN and figured that it was down to having a diastasis after my twins. Following that programme really helped but I fell off the wagon a bit on the healthy eating side in December. I'm hoping I can tie it all together next year and finally get a toned middle.

I will look that up, thanks!

Croccy1979 Tue 01-Jan-13 17:06:36

Cycled for three hours today grin

VivaLeBeaver Tue 01-Jan-13 17:10:37

I biked for just over an hour today, then walked the dog for over an hour as well.

Then I bought some mini eggs from the shop and scoffed them. blush

Croccy1979 Tue 01-Jan-13 17:13:47

Ha ha I did eat a pile of cheese, we have soooo much left over from Christmas!

chutneypig Tue 01-Jan-13 17:30:31

I've decided I'm going for a week of getting back into the fitness side before overly tackling the diet side. Nothing to do with all the nice stuff still around. Oh no.

I did run 2 today and felt fantastic afterwards. It was a beautiful day, not sure it's going to be quite the same at 6am on Thursday!

I'm in ladies!
Over the last 2 years i've lost over 2 stone, still a bit to lose (probably more since xmas) - I KNOW what works for me. I have classes (zumba, body attack, body pump, CX - les Mills stuff) that i actually love, but due to illness / commitments i haven't been for quite a while!

You guys can kick my ass !! I try to get to about 5/6 a week, but i work FT and DH works shifts.

I want to concentrate on getting fit now rather than weightloss...(am hoping i'll tone up).

A friend has also asked if i'll do GNR this year with her....i'm scared, as I'm not a runner, but wondering if I should go for it?!

I've just done a cardio workout on sparkpeople, DP came in and laughed at me (whilst I was laughing at myself and my inability to do it!) and the workout only gave me 8 points on fitocracy so not as great as I'd hoped! I may do some hooping later. I can't navigate sparkpeople very well though :/

Northumberland: Go for it, it will give you something to work towards smile

VivaLeBeaver Tue 01-Jan-13 22:14:08

Norathumberlandlass, 5-6 classes a week is really good. Respect!

I've only done a 10k bit a friend has done the GNR and she loved it. Go for it.

Pinkglow Wed 02-Jan-13 10:56:33

Glad I found this thread. I'm aiming to do some form of exercise everyday, it can be anything incl walking and for any period of time but the point is that I'm doing something and will hopefully be consistant with it. My diet is on the whole ok and its just the exercise part which needs working on really.

Did a half hour run yesterday (with a couple of minute stops) and I'll prob do a exercise DVD tonight.

Trying to work out sparkpeople at the moment.

peachypips Wed 02-Jan-13 15:08:32

Out today for run no 2...

ILoveTIFFANY Wed 02-Jan-13 20:34:47

Week 7 20 min run today... First of the new year!

Been trying to get to the gym for a lookaround and some info. Seems reasonable.

peachypips Wed 02-Jan-13 21:30:18

Took me 30 mins to run 3 miles. Feeling smug, though want to get faster!

Just thought i'd post <pant pant> that I've just got back from my first zumba class for a month & by god, you'd think i'd never done it before. The sweat is pissing out of me, whatever pelvic floor muscles I had have obviously disappeared over Christmas too!

BUT it was fantastic!! Can't wait for Saturday morning for body pump & zumba....

Feel loads better now I've been!

How's it going with you ladies?

peachypips Thu 03-Jan-13 20:38:13

Well done! I was pouring sweat yesterday too. I have to literally wee three times in the hour if I do Zumba! Not sure where the other posters have got to...

I am doing the gym twice this weekend. Eek! Don't normally go but we are at a hotel for our tenth WA so I am going to make use.

peachypips Thu 03-Jan-13 20:40:08

Btw I want to do the Great West Run. Have you started training? I did a ten k in Sept but have slackened off since. Ever done a half marathon north?

XBenedict Thu 03-Jan-13 20:42:28

Just looking at sparkpeople..........hmm I like it! I am very unfit but have decided 2013 is my year of fitness.

I haven't done a half marathon Peachy, I live about 20 miles from Newcastle & I would love to do the Great North Run, loads of my friends do it & try & persuade me every year.

i'm not a natural runner...far more a dancer (though don't look it). I know it would be a huge challenge for me & it scares me a bit!!!

I love going to classes because i like group exercise. IF I do go for GNR I have to apply for a ballot place by this weekend.

Do you run a lot?

peachypips Thu 03-Jan-13 21:02:52

I used to before the kids - then got really fat and stopped. Then lost most of the weight and started again, but want to crank up the challenge and do the GWR as am near Exeter. Also want to lose last stone. I run three miles about four times per week.
I wish I could dance - I royally suck at it!
How much do you run? I like classes if they don't involve dancing! Spinning is more my style.

I used to run 3 times a week about usually about 3 miles. I just didn't get any faster....i found it hard to build strength & stamina.

I now do a core strength, 3 zumba, one body pump (weights class) & body attack (the most intense of all) each week. Have lost about 3 stone in 2.5 years. Am really happy with it, but i know i will always need to do it & as i gain weight really quickly.

I feel so much better than i used too. I guess i still need to lose a stone or thereabouts!

peachypips Sat 05-Jan-13 22:56:39

How do you fit in all those classes! I want to start a regular high cardio one- which is best?

Well done with all the zumbaing north and peachy, that always looked like fun to me grin

I walked 9.9 miles today with sodding wet feet as my trainers are shite and desperately need replacing! My knees hurt, my chest is painful from the cool air and a new, fitting bra that I'm still getting used too, and I'm really tired, but otherwise feel good smile I also bought some new hill walking boots today, I'm so glad that I waited for a delivery as I chose a gorgeous leather pair which are lovely and snug grin I'm very chuffed with them actually, very old school style walking boots that will need looking after, but should last for years and years.

RE sparkpeople, I'm not liking it so much now I'm using it really, it's a brilliant resource, but I'm finding it difficult to actually use, and it's very calories/weight based and I have no interest in counting calories or losing weight. Using fitocracy and runkeeper seems to be a good combo for me at the moment smile

north that is an amazing amount of classes!

I did Body Pump & Zumba this morning! Was well & truly buggered. But felt great. Body Pump is one of my favourites, I can really see the changes in my body shape.

I do:
Mon: CX (core) & Zumba
Thurs: Zumba & Body Attack
Sat am: Body Pump & Zumba
Hoping to squeeze another toning one in on a Tues if I can.

Zumba is fabulous & I love to dance!! I put everything I have into it.

The classes I go to are Les Mills franchise & they change routines on a 3 monthly basis which is great.

Well done on you guys for getting stuck in.

I feel 100% better in myself when exercising. Don't you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now