How can you tell the difference between post baby loose skin and stomach fat?

(9 Posts)

Sorry but if its fat, you need to lose the fat otherwise no matter how amazing your abs are, you won't see them because of the fat on top. So crunches are not what you need so much - resistance training to strengthen and build muscle, some high intensity cardio (preferably intervals if/when you are reasonably fit) to blitz the fat and changes to diet - cut out sugar and processed food, especially processed carbs, these and sugar are the worst culprits wrt belly fat. Replace the calories in these with lean protein, you aren't aiming to lose weight but to lose fat and gain muscle. You may in fact gain weight but your measurements should shrink and you will look more toned, like milewalker says.

Also crunches are good but hundreds aren't - you risk injuring your back and ending up with a sticky out (strong) tummy! Planks, side planks, mountain climbers, bicycle twists plus other exercises that are aimed at other body parts but that require strong core engagement Eg push ups, lunges, squats are best.

The single best bit of kit for working your core and creating great abs ime is the TRX, it can be v hard but gives incredible results (you could do 20-30 mins with it and get a full body workout incorporating cardio and strength work). An excellent investment if you work out at home or travel lots. Lots of gyms have them now.

milewalker Wed 26-Dec-12 11:48:28

if you can find the self discipline to do crunches everyday i'll find the same and stretch everyday-i've just signed up to do a marathon in june and hate stretching, its boring but makes a difference to my running.

Meglet Wed 26-Dec-12 09:00:00

I have got the Shred DVD, I just get cabin fever doing workouts in the house. Doing crunches everyday would help though, need to find my self-discipline again. I miss the days I could go to 6 classes a week <sigh>.

milewalker Wed 26-Dec-12 01:58:08

the trainer/man at my gym did say that was the hardest bit to loose and he showed me pics of women at 140lbs that were 'flabby' or not toned and same women at 146lb but she was really toned.i think if you did something like the shred or other toning exercise it really would make a difference. i'll have alook at all my bits i've got here tommorow to see what else i can suggest to help.

lljkk Mon 24-Dec-12 21:25:23

Sorry but being nearly 40 makes it tough to get six pack back. Madonna is a bit of a freak in that way.

Meglet Mon 24-Dec-12 20:52:21

It's fat then isn't it <<lip>> . I'm underweight, but I suppose I was in denial about not having a toned stomach anymore. I certainly don't want to lose any weight, just be a bit firmer.

I have a bonkers plan about getting my 6 pack back before I'm 40 (18 months time). Should start doing crunches every day really as I don't get to the gym very often.

milewalker Mon 24-Dec-12 13:49:03

you can pinch loose skin and it stays pinched looking for a few moments-skin that has excess fat under it won't do it. another way to explain it is if you look at an uncooked chicken and you can sort of push the skin on it around with your fingers but its only the skin that moves-thats loose skin and its the same on your own body.
i've lost 13 stone now and have abit on the top of my breasts thats def loose (chicken fillets or a good bra sort it out thankfully) but only have a tiny bit just above my belly button though still have fat around my tummy under belly button if that makes sense. to get rid i need to loose more weight.

lljkk Mon 24-Dec-12 13:39:17

After 4 years, I don't think you can blame the baby any more. Blame getting older if you like, though, that's fair enough.

Meglet Sun 23-Dec-12 20:27:30

I'm the same weight I was before I had dc's (6 & 4) but my stomach still isn't properly flat. Seeing as I gained 3 stone each time I'm wondering if it's just because there's some loose skin down there confused.

How can I tell whether it's fat I can blitz or just loose skin that will stay there? I can feel, and almost see my abs muscles again but there's still some podge on there and it annoys me in a first world problems type of way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now