Couch to half marathon? Anyone who's done it, or can recommend a training plan?

(8 Posts)
BandersnatchCummerbund Sun 16-Dec-12 00:02:18

I am considering setting a half marathon as one of my New Year's Resolutions. I may be insane... Trying to work out how long it would take me to build up to one. It definitely can't be my top priority - I have too many other things going on right now - but I would like to do it if possible.

The Couch to 5k programme (the nine week one) is great. Can anyone recommend a 5k to 10k plan, and a 10k to half marathon one, in the same vein? I don't want an app or podcast - just a plan on paper. Maximum of three runs a week. I've been googling but can't find anything that fits my criteria. Any recommendations? smile

Also, if anyone who has done similar (couch to half marathon on no more than 3 runs a week) has any advice, I would love to hear. My goals are the usual - get fitter, and lose weight. I'd like to feel better, and to go from 9.5 stone to 8-8.5, if possible. I struggle a lot with tiredness, and with work pressures, so 3 times a week is definitely the maximum I could manage.

JRsandCoffee Thu 20-Dec-12 09:02:55

Hi, I've done it, used a programme on the Polar website, started June, race was in early October I think. Key thing seemed to be to make sure you got out for the longer runs, was quite time consuming as I recall but I did love it. If race is on the road make sure you do a good amount of training in the road. I found a love of cross country and on the event day I realised should have spent more time on Tarmac as was really sore afterwards, despite having run the distance before (got lost in Scotland...) good luck smile

BandersnatchCummerbund Thu 20-Dec-12 11:29:44

Thanks, JR. Any chance of a link to your training plan? Four months doesn't sound like much - I assume you were already a runner when you started, or weren't starting from the "couch" at least?!

Zest magazine have running plans for different distances: www.zest.co.uk/running/training-plans-for-every-distance/446.html

No idea how good they are as I'm still only on C25k!

redfleur Thu 27-Dec-12 15:38:06

This is what I am going to be using. I don't have time for more than 3 runs a week. I'm aiming for a bit faster, so will just adjust the length of the run by 5-10mins.
http://www.lucozade.com/media/44527/hm.pdf

BandersnatchCummerbund Fri 28-Dec-12 03:17:06

That plan looks perfect, redfleur, albeit challenging for someone who's never done more than a 30 minute run and is nowhere near fit enough to run for even 30 mins after Xmas indulgence. blush I'm going to do c25k again first, and then I'll attack this new one! Thanks. smile

humblebumble Fri 28-Dec-12 03:22:29

You could try one of the Hal Higden training programs. I did something similar last year. Worked for me.

loveinidleness Sat 29-Dec-12 18:26:14

hi I did that - I printed out the BUPA training plans and saw where they overlapped from 10k to HM length and used that. For the beginners' plans it is all about building up the distance, virtually no speed work, so you can just move seamlessly from one to the next.

Good luck and enjoy it! (I should warn you I got addicted to it, ran 2.5 marathons last year and will run more this year grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now