Is it me or is the Zumba Cult taking over the world?

(7 Posts)
ferrarigirl Mon 03-Dec-12 15:19:18

Look, I love exercise, I love dance, but the way Zumba is being 'rolled out' is sinister. ~The website is very cult-like, the fees are great for the entrepreneur/owners and good on them for developing it. But some of the instructors and students are verging on the edge of obsession with regards to 'recruitment' and the number of classes you are supposed to attend in a week (for a fee of course!). I had the nerve to post this on Facebook and got referred to as a 'doubter and hater' . Proves my point about the cult thing really. I have been to a class 4 times (over 4 weeks not in one week as per some of my co-students). I find it ok, but repetitive, with my 'friends' now breaking into a Zumba dance at every opportunity - birthday parties, weddings, night at the pub. I am seeking a Zumba- free zone where I can have a sensible and itelligent conversation without the 'Z' word arising!

baublesandbaileys Mon 03-Dec-12 15:20:48

your friends are boring and you are a bit paranoid
HTH

ferrarigirl Mon 03-Dec-12 15:34:16

Maybe this is slightly more weird .....
http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/7-fitness-progams-cult-followings?page=7

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Mon 03-Dec-12 15:47:48

Lol at 'your friends are boring'

I think it's a crap exercise tbh. And incredibly naff. Up there with Rosemary Conley workouts.

Caerlaverock Mon 03-Dec-12 15:52:30

Novelty exercise classes are an embarrassment. I can't believe they break out into Zumba in social situations. I think you need to enter a protection program immediately

ferrarigirl Mon 03-Dec-12 16:04:45

I was so close to getting sucked into the Cult. I think I broke out at the right time, but after having spent £8 on a Zumba 'belt' which makes me look like a belly dancer. At least it doesn't have the 'Z' word on it so I can use it as a scarf I suppose Know anyone who would like one? It is going free! Good luck to all those who enjoy it - I am going back to running, with my i-pod and a diverse range of music.

GetorfsaMotherfuckingMorrisMan Mon 03-Dec-12 16:08:22

Your friends are a bit groovy aren't they, bless them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now