Want to run but am TRULY CRAP at it... Is there any hope?

(609 Posts)
mirai Sun 04-Nov-12 04:24:05

Running is great. It's free, it's supposedly easy (put on your trainers and go), and hopefully it will shrink my huge bum (seriously my bum is very very big and round) blush

BUT. I'm rubbish at it. Terrible. My ears get cold, I feel everything jiggle, it hurts and I just want to give up.

Is there any hope for me? Can people like me turn into good runners? I'm actually getting ear pain just thinking about it. Or, is there no hope?

I really need to do some exercise. Tried swimming but the pool is too far - it took 3 hours out of my evening which wasn't sustainable. Tried doing an exercise video - but I'm exhausted after work and find it impossible to drag myself out of bed in the morning as it's SO cold and I'm always SO tired. Something needs to be done. Help!

LemonBreeland Sat 08-Dec-12 09:55:33

Morning all. I have lost my way I'm afraid. I finished week 3 last Friday but haven't managed to get out since then. Mostly the weather, as it has been so icy. But also our car broke down. We already had one car off the road and it was hard coping but now no car at all and my dc at a school 10 miles away in a pretty rural area with poor bus service is really stressful. I've hardly slept all week, worrying about how we are going to pay for one car to be fixed and the other one replaced.

I did go for a walk yesterday to the next village to get som shopping with dd in the pushchair. It was 8.5k, so some decent exercise, however my hip is really sore today so I think I should just stop the running until I can see a physio. I had already been to the gp about my hip before I started this but it wasn't too bad then. I hope I can get it sorted as I really want to continue with the running.

On the plus side, I have lost 4lbs with all the stress. smile

You'll get back LemonBreeland, youve made time before and you will again. Just remember how you feel after a run and that'll spur you on!! So sorry to hear that things have been tricky for you, doesn't sound like a lot of fun! Hope things improve in time for a lovely Christmas smile

LemonBreeland Sun 09-Dec-12 15:39:29

Thanks cinnmaon. I do have the determination to get back to it as soon as I know what is wrong with my hip and it is on the mend.

surfandturf Mon 10-Dec-12 14:49:15

Sorry to hear of your troubles Lemon, hope things improve soon. I have also been slacking somewhat! First I was ill then my DD so the last couple of weeks have been a bit of a write off - hate this time of year with all the bugs going round.

Anyway, I made the effort this morning and got up at 5.50am to brave the cold! I've had to repeat week 2 already and didn't want to have to do it again so I tried week 3 today and actually found it wasn't too bad. It was a really clear morning and the moon looked stunning - it's this kind of thing that keeps me going! and the fact that i eat far too many mince pies this time of year

mirai Tue 11-Dec-12 12:28:46

Surf I t

surfandturf Thu 13-Dec-12 07:03:41

what happened Mirai? Hope you are ok? Would love an update on how your training's going?

LavenderBriggs Thu 13-Dec-12 07:26:58

I'm struggling like mad and I'm not sure how to get started again. I don't even know what's stopping me.

There will be a way to sort this out, I just need to find it.

surfandturf Thu 13-Dec-12 14:03:22

Oh Lavender sad. It's a hard time of year anyway - it's so cold and there's so much on your mind and to do!

I'm sure we all have our slumps and sometimes your body knows best and you may just need a little rest.

You have been such an inspiration to people on this thread (have a read back it might give you some inspiration) but don't put pressure on yourself and start again SLOWLY when you're good and ready un-mn-hugs smile

LavenderBriggs Thu 13-Dec-12 21:59:34

Thank you Surf for the very gentle dose of grip up thanks. I'm going take icy cold days out of the equation and stop worrying if I don't go out in -2 degrees. Dh has offered to come out for a gentle potter/run tomorrow morning (I'm hopeless at running alone).

It's very easy to pile the pressure on! It's rather nice to lift some of it back off again grin

surfandturf Fri 14-Dec-12 07:10:05

Did you manage to get out this morning Lavender?

LavenderBriggs Fri 14-Dec-12 08:14:17

Nope. But the news is good - I have the start of a stinking cold. I seem to become very doom-laden just before I'm going to be ill, so I was pretty relieved at sore throat and runny nose this morning. Feel like crap so going to dose myself up with aspirin and as many fresh veggies as possible.

How about you? What are the walking/running times in week 3?

And where's Mirai?

This weather is so rubbish for running! It's warmed up here a bit today so now of course it's started raining sad

surfandturf Sat 15-Dec-12 08:27:44

Hope your cold doesn't hang around for long Lavender. Keep yourself warm and dosed up.

Week 3 times were 90 secs run and 90 secs walk, then 3 mins run and 3 mins walk then repeat. Didn't find it too bad. Had a little listen to what's expected in week 4 and think it ups the ante to a 5 min run - not sure I can keep going for that long but will give it a go!

Weather is the same here Cinnamon. Luckily yesterday it was fine when I went out but 10 mins after I got back from my run the heavens opened!

Not sure what's happened to Mirai lately. Maybe she's too busy running to MN grin

This time last year I couldn't run at all, today I ran 6 miles! You can all do it!!!

cq Sat 15-Dec-12 12:49:17

Glad this thread popped up again on Active. My running has been derailed by sick kids (DS at home for TWO WEEKS shock) and now I have the same virus. Cold symptoms have gone but I have zero energy, and keep getting blinding headaches. It's all I can do to drag myself out and walk the dogs for 20 mins, much less run.

I find it so hard to get back in the groove when something like this has derailed me. And it's SOOO cold outside, but I hate the treadmill.

Anyone got a kick up the arse some motivation for me?

mirai Sun 16-Dec-12 10:15:39

Oh my gosh what happened to that post?! So annoyed, I wrote a really long one and it didn't post! Oops blush

Well, I'm afraid I've been laid low with a chest infection, an annoying bugger that I couldn't shake for about two weeks. It's still not gone now but it absolutely wiped me out. So I haven't been running or doing much to be honest sad I was disappointed as I was really getting along well with it and I loved the feeling when I came back from a good run!

Thank you everyone for keeping the thread going. As soon as I get back on my feet I will get back in the saddle, so to speak, I'm hoping maybe later this week? smile

LavenderBriggs Sun 16-Dec-12 11:26:54

Thank you Surf smile I feel loads better. My colds used to drag on for weeks, but since I started running I now get a couple of days of feeling gloomy, a day or two of having a cold and then I start to bounce back again. I went for the first run in ten days this morning. It was not easy. DH had to practically drag me around the park - he tried motivating speeches, cajoling and ending up with downright bribery. I am so glad I went - it continues the 'never regretting going for a run' theme.

Best of luck for the next week - it will push you to add another two minutes on, but if you're already running three, then you're almost there anyway. You can keep going - it's a good idea to have a couple of sentences at hand "I can run for five minutes", etc. it really helps to say it to yourself. You've only said "I don't know if I can do it" - it would be helpful to have the opposite thought to counteract that. If you've never run, you've only ever thought "I can't do that", try and say something positive. I'm not explaining this well. Haven't had post run coffee yet.

Hi Mirai Sorry to hear about the chest infection. Get yourself well and we'll keep a place on the bench for you grin

Hi cq Have you managed to have a run at all? What is your motivation for running and getting fit? (I want to be able to tailor the arse kicking grin).

surfandturf Mon 17-Dec-12 07:12:46

I did it!!!!! Such a good feeling! Almost half way through couch to 5k. I am now running more than walking during the 30mins. Wasn't quite as tough as I was expecting it to be.

Lavender I know exactly what you are saying. Instead of 'I don't know if I can do it' my new motto is 'I CAN DO IT!'

Well done Cinnamon 6 miles sounds like such a long way but soon I WILL be able to do that too!

Mirai - Hope you are feeling better soon and cq just think about the guilt free indulgence over Christmas. You won't feel so bad having that extra mince pie / glass of wine if you've done a run or 3 over the festive period. That's the thought that's keeping me going!!! grin

Have a good day everyone - will check back in after my run on Weds...

mirai Mon 17-Dec-12 10:02:52

That's amazing surf smile have you noticed any changes in your body shape/weight?

cq Tue 18-Dec-12 17:52:16

Lavender tailor made arse kicking - I'm impressed - you must be a personal trainer!

Not sure any more what my motivation is. Weight seems to go up and down but I really only get my arse into gear when I enter a race or event, then I have a deadline and my motivation is to not be the last one to cross the finish line. It happened to me once, I was literally running just in front of the truck picking up the traffic cones blush. Never again will I enter a race without being sure I can run the distance!

So I have entered the Reading Half Marathon in March but sadly that still seems so far away.

And today I have had my hair done all nicely for Christmas so obv can't get that sweaty for at least another 24 hrs grin

And now the kids are home for the holidays and DH still working and leaving me to do all the shopping/wrapping/tidying etc so running gets pushed further and further down the list.

And still soooo tired from this virus.

God what a list of lame excuses and whinges. If I could just get out the door for one run I would feel so much better.

surfandturf Wed 19-Dec-12 07:04:07

cq yes that is quite a list of lame excuses! but i know where you're coming from Worst time of year to try and get your arse into gear but why do you only do it when you have a race or event? I have taken up running as a lifestyle change. I want to have better fitness and get in better shape and I want it to last for years and years. Is your weight yo-yo-ing because once you have completed an event you relax and stop running?

Also as part of my lifestyle change I've decided to start using skimmed milk and I'm trying to stop eating once I recognise that I'm full. Usually I just eat whatever's on the plate (hate wasting food) My DH serves up huge portions so now once I've had enough I leave what's left and eat it for lunch the next day If I'm cooking I simply don't put as much on the plate.

Just got back from my 2nd run this week. Last 5 minutes were quite tough - legs felt like lead but I feel better for having done it!

LavenderBriggs Wed 19-Dec-12 09:04:31

cq grin No, not a trainer, but I'm studying sport and exercise psychology and looking into more hands-on courses, so who knows what the future will bring? I have to figure out if having Ehlers Danlos and being a trainer are compatible.

Enough! That's a lovely long list of blocks grin but there is some good stuff in there - going for a run makes you feel so much better - that's your short-term goal right there, to feel so much better. Is there any way you can get family and DH on board to give you 30 minutes? Get a couple of runs under your belt and we'll get some more goals sorted.

Hi Surf Well done for getting out! DH bought me a foam roller to try and help with lead legs and it seems to help a bit. It might be worth having a quick look and seeing if you think one could help. I've used it once and it definitely took away some of the heavy, post-run feeling.

surfandturf Wed 19-Dec-12 19:49:57

lavender aren't foam rollers things you use to make your hair curl? grin

LavenderBriggs Thu 20-Dec-12 09:11:28

grin yes! swishes curly hair

Or, you can get a big one to do some fascia release work, which sort of 'unsticks' things <only halfway through first coffee face>.

Definitely try to focus on the after run feeling and how it makes you feel generally. I am a much nicer person to be around since I started running, my hormones affect my moods less and I have lots more energy even on days I don't run smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now