Want to run but am TRULY CRAP at it... Is there any hope?

(609 Posts)
mirai Sun 04-Nov-12 04:24:05

Running is great. It's free, it's supposedly easy (put on your trainers and go), and hopefully it will shrink my huge bum (seriously my bum is very very big and round) blush

BUT. I'm rubbish at it. Terrible. My ears get cold, I feel everything jiggle, it hurts and I just want to give up.

Is there any hope for me? Can people like me turn into good runners? I'm actually getting ear pain just thinking about it. Or, is there no hope?

I really need to do some exercise. Tried swimming but the pool is too far - it took 3 hours out of my evening which wasn't sustainable. Tried doing an exercise video - but I'm exhausted after work and find it impossible to drag myself out of bed in the morning as it's SO cold and I'm always SO tired. Something needs to be done. Help!

LemonBreeland Wed 28-Nov-12 19:15:42

Gotthearse I have a shock absorber level 4. I've seen others recommended on threads on here, Enell and possibly Anita.

mirai Thu 29-Nov-12 07:33:06

Hi all, just a quick one on my phone, hope to reply in depth later! I am still cracking on with it although I am really fed up about one thing. My appetite has gone through the roof and I've put on 4lbs in the last few weeks. This was not supposed to happen!! I'm eating tons of fruit, having porridge for breakfast (never used to have breakfast and it's only 150 cals), but now I'm craving tons of sweet stuff/ junk in the evenings too. Really disappointed. Any tips please? sad

mirai Thu 29-Nov-12 07:41:19

I know a lot of people recommend My Fitbess Pal to track calories but I don't think that'd work because firstly my non-existent willpower/cravings for junk and secondly because we always cook from scratch and frankly I CBA weighing my rice and meat and pots etc! Gah so fed up!!

PropositionJoe Thu 29-Nov-12 08:01:54

Many people say that once you can run 30mins straight it really affects your weight, which will be you after Christmas. In the meantime, drink water in the evenings and brush your teeth to stop yourself eating any more?

LavenderBriggs Thu 29-Nov-12 08:51:22

Hi Mirai I agree with PropositionJoe it does take a lot of running to cut down on weight. I see a real difference if I run 6k a couple of times a week. If I run 6-7k three or more times a week, then I honestly can't eat enough to put weight on. Think of this stage as the foundation - you're learning how to run, how to exercise, how to breathe efficiently when running, how to plan when to exercise - it's a lot of skills to pick up.

It will take longer than a week or two or a month or two to see real results. That's ok. Think about November 2011. Does it seem like a very long time ago, or does it seem pretty close? Now think of November 2013 (sorry for time-travel nonsense), it's not that far away and think of the changes you could make between now and then. Getting fit isn't quick fix. The longer you go on the more results and Really Good Things you get.

Also, non-existent will power is the very best reason of all to use My Fitness Pal. Yes, putting meals in can be a pain in the arse, but if you eat the same meals regularly you only have to put amounts in once, then you can use that meal again (I use Food Focus and don't know if you can do the same stuff with MFP, you'll have to have a quick check). Log everything. It really, really helps. You can't make changes until you know exactly what's going wrong (you might be a bit low on protein or total calories and that's making you hungry later). Don't be defeated - it isn't easy - but that's what makes it worthwhile.

One last thought - have you checked your basal metabolic rate? If you go under that then you won't lose any weight.

You're doing brilliantly. Say "I'm doing brilliantly" smile

leavesarefalling Thu 29-Nov-12 09:07:45

I haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this has already been discussed. But i also get ear pain when I run if it is windy and/or cold so I run in a head band that covers my ears and it's great. I got it from a running shop Well, I say when I run, but I am only managing 15 minutes 2x a week. blush

LavenderBriggs Thu 29-Nov-12 09:47:53

Hi leaves I use a headband when it's cold as my ears and face are agony in cold wind. Have you just started running?

leavesarefalling Thu 29-Nov-12 09:58:19

hmm, I've been running, well slow jogging if I'm truthful, since mid-October.
I'm running with a neighbour though who refuses to push herself. That sounds like an excuse I know, 'cos I really should go out on my own.

LavenderBriggs Thu 29-Nov-12 10:13:03

That's only just over a month. And it's got to be good that you think you can do more. Could you go on your own?

MarianForrester Thu 29-Nov-12 12:11:26

Well, have calmed down and got back on treadmill. Good for stress, you said, well, you were right! Also listened to all those of you who said walk if too much, and managed to do 30 minutes and 3.54k smile

Mostly "running", but bits of walking (pretty much same speedblush)

So will really try to keep it up now.

Can't advise on outdoor running gear, tho is blooming freezing here. I just wear old shock absorber bra- would really like one if those sports ones with underwiring, just makes me feel happier if they well hoiked up. Maybe when emerge in spring.

Lavender hope the pain not too bad, must be rubbish, am impressed by your commitment, I might use as excuse to lie on sofa... grin

LavenderBriggs Thu 29-Nov-12 13:43:11

Marian the commitment doesn't look that impressive when you know that I'm in more pain if I don't exercise. Although, thinking about it, it can't just be the Ehlers Danlos that causes that, wouldn't anyone be in more pain if they didn't exercise enough?

Well done for getting so good - 3.4k in, what, a couple of weeks.

(Yes, I'm right a lot about the positive benefits of exercise - if you ever need a gentle shove I can come up with something positive.)

LemonBreeland Thu 29-Nov-12 21:23:55

I went out tonight and did w3r3. I've found week 3 really tough. It was very cold tonight and I was a little worred about icy paths and possibly slipping.

Leaves I also get earache in the cold. I wear a buff around my head like a headband. I actually had two on the other day, one around my head and one around my neck as a scarf.

Marian, although I really am finding it hard going I do find it stress relieving to get out and clear my head after a busy day.

leavesarefalling Fri 30-Nov-12 07:47:32

Well done Lemon you had 2 excuses -cold, icy - and you ignored them both and DID it. I'm inspired.

LemonBreeland Fri 30-Nov-12 19:52:03

Thanks leaves. I just know that if I make an excuse once that will be the start of it going downhill and me giving up. I really don't want to do that.

MarianForrester Sat 01-Dec-12 12:41:59

Thanks lavender! I do know what you mean about feeling better for exercise. I really prefer a class to running tho, as I really need someone I shout at me to keep me going- am quite lazy, really, and not talented!

But I did do another half hour this morning smile Must keep it up....

MarianForrester Sat 01-Dec-12 12:44:27

Oh, and lemon , well done on going out- am impressed as I hate hate the cold! Bad enough in the icy garage, but I would struggle to venture outside in it...

FunnysInLaJardin Sat 01-Dec-12 12:51:41

I did couch to 5k at the start of the year and now regularly run 5k's at the gym. But it didn't have any effect on my weight in fact I put on a few pounds which is really annoying. The good thing though is that I enjoy running now and get a lot more out of it than just shedding weight, which is a good job really!

LavenderBriggs Sat 01-Dec-12 13:52:26

Well done to everyone who has got out in this weather (or has made it to the garage grin). Marian, don't worry about being talented, you're not aiming for Brazil 2016, you're aiming for fitness. Quote of the day "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no licence to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."
--John Bingham

I was going to cancel my run tomorrow (meet up with friends on a Sunday morning), but the course I'm studying has moved on to the positive effects of exercise and the huge benefits of activity over being sedentary and I've only gone and confirmed the run.

MarianForrester Tue 04-Dec-12 20:54:29

Ok, who's been running?

Hope you got out on Sunday, Lavender, I am dreaming of Rio....grin

Need to run tomorrow, tho time thwarted by cancelling of ds's class; don't try realise dreams being trashed here? Will need to wait til dd home from school to be in charge.

You only have to weight stuff once mirai, then once you know what size spoon you dished it up with you know for next time. Mfp is really convenient, the barcode scanner is fab and I genuinely found it easy to use and after a while it just became part of every day. I am now on my second week of now logging after 6 months of logging and I feel I have retrained myself to eat in a much better way.

I run 2-3 times a week and each run only burns 300-350 calories so really not a huge amount, I assume I have more muscle so my bmr will be higher but not a great deal. Exercise is great but you still need to monitor what you're eating unless you really are doing LOADS of it!

DIddled Tue 04-Dec-12 23:30:42

I was a complete exercise hater till this year -yo yo dieting on ww/Sw etc etc. joined gym in August, graduated to running outside about 6 weeks ago which I much prefer. Managing 4-5 k every other day and both weekend days. Eating what I want within reason, have stopped eating the boring low fat versions of everything. I came in from work tonight, it was freezing and wet, really didn't feel like it but forced myself to put on my kit, grabbed the dog and ran just short of 3miles smile.

I have lost some weight but even at nearly a stone over my lightest when at target on Sw, I am slimmer and more toned.

I am 41 and have never exercised in my life- if I can do it anyone can!!!

The sheer pleasure of eating a full at muller corner mmmmmm vs an insipid Muller light ..... That's why I am doing it.

Plus I am calmer, happier, sleeping better...... Am I selling it to you OP? You can do it!!!

Great motivator, download one of the run apps to track progress and Good luck!!! smile

cq Tue 04-Dec-12 23:38:32

Sounds like you're getting there OP, but be patient with the weight loss. I've given up weighing myself and just go by the fit of my clothes. Since I started running (again) 3 years ago, I've gone from a size 20 to a size 14 (while training for a half marathon) and then crept back up to a size 16 while distracted by moving family back to the UK.

Went to a fantastic boot camp 2 weeks ago, studied nutrition and the science of exercise, no shouting and bullying etc. Key message is to keep running but run SLOW - it's all about building muscle which munches the fat for hours after you've stopped running, and building up your heart and lungs to work harder so you can gradually build up speed.

LavenderBriggs Fri 07-Dec-12 09:07:31

Hi Marian. I did get out on Sunday. It was below freezing, but I wrapped up well and had a lovely run. One of my mates asked if I would take him for a run (I seem to have accidentally become a running coach - this might not be the best job for a 45 year old with a disabling condition) - he hasn't run for years, but is younger and fitter than I am and he shot off at great speed. Fortunately, he slowed down and was done by 3k and my stamina won the day, but the first 500 metres were a bit scary. How are you getting on?

Diddled - isn't it wonderful to be slim and toned in your 40's? grin Agree with you about ditching low fat food. I think low fat food is one of the biggest cons of the modern age.

Agree with Cinnamongreyhound and cq - you don't lose weight running by burning calories, you lose it by building lean muscle, this is the stuff that burns calories all the time. Even when I'm gazing into the distance waiting for the kettle to boil my lovely muscles are burning fuel. Cutting calories without building muscle will not lead to sustained weight loss.

Is anyone else still getting out?

I went Monday and have had a week full of busy evening so was going to go last night but wussed out when it was raining, cold I can cope with but cold and wet generally puts me off!

DIddled Fri 07-Dec-12 23:05:00

In work for 9hr day, whizz round Morrisons on way home- last thing I felt like was a run it's bloody freezing! I forced myself to throw on my gear and ran 2.5 miles , felt great afterwards and the dog is knackered so lovely and quiet. Now relaxing with a few glasses of wine and some crispssmile

My husband isn't exactly fulsome with praise as a rule but he commented that 'your arse is getting smaller' to me this evening - that's about as complimentary as he has ever been smile

Keep it up everyone x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now