Want to run but am TRULY CRAP at it... Is there any hope?

(609 Posts)
mirai Sun 04-Nov-12 04:24:05

Running is great. It's free, it's supposedly easy (put on your trainers and go), and hopefully it will shrink my huge bum (seriously my bum is very very big and round) blush

BUT. I'm rubbish at it. Terrible. My ears get cold, I feel everything jiggle, it hurts and I just want to give up.

Is there any hope for me? Can people like me turn into good runners? I'm actually getting ear pain just thinking about it. Or, is there no hope?

I really need to do some exercise. Tried swimming but the pool is too far - it took 3 hours out of my evening which wasn't sustainable. Tried doing an exercise video - but I'm exhausted after work and find it impossible to drag myself out of bed in the morning as it's SO cold and I'm always SO tired. Something needs to be done. Help!

mirai Tue 06-Nov-12 11:03:00

surfandturf how did you get on?!

surfandturf Tue 06-Nov-12 11:37:57

I did it!!! I was out of the house at 6.20am. It was bloody freezing, I forgot my gloves and my headphones wouldn't work so had to run with my phone in my hand! I can't say I enjoyed it as such but it wasn't too bad. Hope you do ok tonight OP.

CointreauVersial Tue 06-Nov-12 13:34:00

Well done surfandturf! Onwards and upwards.....

Gloves definitely essential on a chilly morning.

Bodyshape?? Well, everything is a damned sight firmer now that I run (although I started low-carbing at the same time, which took a good stone and a half off). And strangely I no longer suffer from backache, which plagued me on and off for years. I'm sure my strengthened core stability has a lot to do with it.

I am definitely more muscular but I also lost 5 1/2st in the last year through a change in diet so bodyshape has totally changed and I don't know how much is down to running!

TellMeLater Tue 06-Nov-12 19:10:25

Well done surf. I'm more toned, I don't build muscle easily....with some dietary restriction, I went from a size 14 to a size 10.

surfandturf Tue 06-Nov-12 19:55:36

Wow! You guys have done really well! I don't really need to lose weight as such but definitely need to tone up and get fit! I would be happier if I could lose about half a stone which I know doesn't sound much but I have no willpower!!!! I probably should cut down on carbs and I eat way too much bread and biscuits and chocolate

mirai Wed 07-Nov-12 09:29:28

Guess who was up at 6.20 THIS morning?! wink

So. Damn. Cold!!!

mirai Wed 07-Nov-12 09:30:46

I'd still like some more body shape stories, I need to know that these bum and thighs will go!!!

LavenderBriggs Wed 07-Nov-12 10:11:16

Did you run?

I didn't think I could run (disabling condition, being over 40), but I wanted to be fit. I started by running for 30 seconds and built from there. I've now done two competitive 5ks and one 3k (came 4th).

I'm now fit! My hips are slim - proper slim. My bum got a tiny bit bigger, but the shape is so much nicer. My tum is flat and I can wear size 10 jeans with a short top, because there are no bulges. I used to have a BMI 0f 26.5, now it's 21. and I feel younger than I did ten years ago.

mirai Wed 07-Nov-12 10:56:29

Yes I did! I should have made that clear haha. I didn't enjoy it.

That's great lavender, how long has it taken you to get to this point? Your BMI is blooming marvellous!

Lancelottie Wed 07-Nov-12 10:59:20

Wow, you did it then? How much did you manage at a time desperately hopes to find someone else who struggled with the first 30 seconds?

Yay well done!

surfandturf Wed 07-Nov-12 12:35:04

Well done OP! I'm proud of you! How did you find it? Did you do the couch to 5k or are you doing your own thing?

Here I am sipping hot lemon and water instead of my usual brew and I'm planning on running again at silly o'clock tomorrow morning!

LavenderBriggs Wed 07-Nov-12 13:33:12

Brilliant! You know we'll need times and distances now? smile

I started in January last year (when I was 43). I did the first 5k race in July last year in 35 minutes - it didn't take that long to get to 5k, that was just my first proper race. When you first start 5k can seem like a marathon, but it gets easier, and the benefits are too good to give up.

I did 7.3k in 58 minutes last week and the high lasted me for the rest of the day - the buzz might not happen at first, but when it does come, you'll want to get it back again and again.

Now tell us about your run grin

LemonBreeland Wed 07-Nov-12 13:49:10

This thread has inspired me. I kept thinking about trying couch to 5k, but I also have always hated running. I will really try to start with this. I'm losing the weight I need to by dieting anyway, but my fitness is through the floor. I've always been unfit since having my DC.

Am on my phone now dowloading the app. Will be buying a sports bra later.

surfandturf Wed 07-Nov-12 13:55:06

Yey! Come join us LemonBreeland. I've finally got my headphones sorted and must remember my gloves tomorrow although it is a bit milder today so hoping it will stay that way!

Lavender - Times and distances...maybe in about 6 months!!!! I haven't got any idea about distances nor have I got a fancy phone with an app to tell me!!!!

My legs are aching more today than yesterday - how are you baring up Mirai?

LavenderBriggs Wed 07-Nov-12 14:03:04

Hello Lemon - so glad you feel inspired. Just think of the day when you run for a bus and you aren't even breathing heavily - imagine being able to use your fitness to make life easier.

Surf - grin well done for running (you could always plot it on Google maps if you wanted to know - you might not now, but in a few months it could really help you see how far you've come).

LemonBreeland Wed 07-Nov-12 14:16:58

Ladies you are so lovely and welcoming, it will be another push as I won't want to let you down now.

I'm hoping I can make the app work on my phone, am not terribly technologically minded sometimes. Now to get me a sports bra.

Glad to hear you've got out OP, I didn't enjoy it at first at all but really do now. Although I still have days when I can't be bothered to go out, am always glad when I do!

LavenderBriggs Wed 07-Nov-12 14:32:17

Lemon - have you got Runkeeper?

Cinnamon speaks the truth. I can honestly, honestly say that I have never regretted a run. Ever. Even the time I thought I was going to be sick (because I just felt dead hard and athletic). I have regretted sitting on the sofa instead of running.

TellMeLater Wed 07-Nov-12 14:35:20

Have regretted the runs that caused injuries wink seriously though even after running a 10k in nearly 50 mins I still get some days where my legs are like lead and I end up walking for most of the distance but hey - walking is still good exercise!

LavenderBriggs Wed 07-Nov-12 14:38:04

I did think about that, but then I thought it was just the injury I regretted. I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, so I get a fair amount of injuries - I can't live with that amount of regret!

I'm in awe of your 10k time. I'd love to be able to do that <writes list of 'things I want'>

FerrisBueller1972 Wed 07-Nov-12 15:22:14

Ladies thank you for answering all the questions I think I wanted to ask but was too scared/embarrassed to ask!

I gave up smoking 2 weeks ago, I haven't done a jot of exercise since I had to have my horse PTS 2 years ago, I haven't run since I did cross country at high school (25 years ago!) and I am totally unfit. I hate catching glimpses of my body in a mirror seeing how wobbly its got. When I have clothes on you would not know, but I know

I have downloaded C25K and as I work in sports wear and all things healthy I have access to compression wear at cost price so I am not going to make ANY excuses ANY MORE!

I'll start tonight, maybe tomorrow actually. Is it better to build up by running on the spot or using the Wii at home?

I feel really stupid asking that but I am actually terrified of collapsing 200 metres from my house!! blush

Is anyone else pretty tall and do they find it harder to run?

LavenderBriggs Wed 07-Nov-12 16:30:54

Hi Ferris (apologies to Mirai for hijacking thread, but I really love talking about running).

I think it's better to get out - as you improve you'll have a good benchmark - I wish I'd kept a note of my first couple of months.

Try to think about the time in the future when you'll catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror and smile at how toned you look. This is entirely possible. It will take time, but it won't happen at all if you don't start. Get your kit on, put your headphones on and get started. Look at picture on my profile if it will help.

FerrisBueller1972 Wed 07-Nov-12 19:10:45

Hi lavender - thank you! I can't see profile as I'm on the iphone but the kit has been ordered so I'm not backing out now! Sooner I start the sooner I will see results! A friend said it really helps her with her pmt these days as we get older especially grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now