Want to run but am TRULY CRAP at it... Is there any hope?

(609 Posts)
mirai Sun 04-Nov-12 04:24:05

Running is great. It's free, it's supposedly easy (put on your trainers and go), and hopefully it will shrink my huge bum (seriously my bum is very very big and round) blush

BUT. I'm rubbish at it. Terrible. My ears get cold, I feel everything jiggle, it hurts and I just want to give up.

Is there any hope for me? Can people like me turn into good runners? I'm actually getting ear pain just thinking about it. Or, is there no hope?

I really need to do some exercise. Tried swimming but the pool is too far - it took 3 hours out of my evening which wasn't sustainable. Tried doing an exercise video - but I'm exhausted after work and find it impossible to drag myself out of bed in the morning as it's SO cold and I'm always SO tired. Something needs to be done. Help!

Fishandjam Wed 28-Aug-13 16:59:02

Hello funny! Welcome to the Truly Crap Runners Club - not that the likes of Beluga, Artemis and Lavender are crap. In fact I'm probably the only one who fits that description grin

I am very envy at your being able to run on the beach. Mind you don't overstretch your hamstrings though!

I dunno about tips as I'm still a newbie myself. The best advice I was given was not to try to do too much too soon, as that way discouragement lies. But if you've got a C25K app, that should let you in nice and gradually.

I managed 4.5k last night but the public footpath route I take is getting dreadfully overgrown. I blame my rubbish time on having to push my way through chest-high brambles at various points.

surfandturf Wed 28-Aug-13 21:14:51

Hi fish and welcome funny.

Fish you would definitely fight me and lose for the title of most truly crap runner but hoping to change that back round once the kids get back to school. I wouldn't worry about your times - at least you are actually still going out running (unlike me).

Funny - c25k is a great way to start off. In fact it's been so long since I went for a run I may go back to it and start to build myself up again slowly. You've certainly come to the right place for support and advice - the 'team' on this thread are great!

FunnyRunner Thu 29-Aug-13 09:58:40

<Waves> at fish and surf. You have inspired me to step away from MN and go for my run.

<pumps fist, sings 'eye of the tiger'> wink

FunnyRunner Thu 29-Aug-13 13:10:45

Well I did my run (W1 R2) and it was harder today, mainly because I pushed harder during the running and managed to get a bit out of breath. Last day my calves were burning during the first run - today they didn't start until the 4th run.

One thing though - my ankles were very tight during the first run. My warm up has really only been the 5 min walk but should I be doing other stuff? And if so do you have to pause the app? And will I look nuts on the beach?

surfandturf Fri 30-Aug-13 14:07:48

Hi Funny - you made me laugh with the eye of the tiger and fist punching!!!

I never did any other warmup other than the 5 minute walk although I do think it's easy to just walk along for 5 minutes when really you need to be 'power walking' to increase your heart rate. Are you sure you are pushing yourself to do a fast 5 minute walk? It may help. If not try doing a few stretches first too. I'm sure no-one will laugh at you on the beach not to your face anyway grin

FunnyRunner Sun 01-Sep-13 21:47:32

Got properly out of breath today, not helped by the 'double-bra-ring-of-steel' around my chest confused

ArtemisatBrauron Mon 02-Sep-13 09:06:39

Hello all!! grin We moved house, so I haven't been running in 4 week until yesterday (ouch!)

managed 3.79k yest, 5.79k today. Trying not to think about that half-marathon in October -why oh why did I drink and surf the net... confused

surfandturf Tue 10-Sep-13 19:02:00

Hi Artemis! How's the new house? Very exciting! I know what you mean - my 5k is in less than 5 weeks and I haven't been out running for ages - although I am pleased it's only 5k and not a half marathon!

I'm going to go out in the morning and try and get at least 3 k in. Been keeping up with exercise classes though so not been a complete bum at least.

Hi Funny, How are you getting on with C25K? What week are you on now?

Where has everyone gone? It's been so quiet on here lately...

Fishandjam Sun 05-Jan-14 20:47:45

Anyone want to resurrect this thread?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now