Want to run but am TRULY CRAP at it... Is there any hope?

(609 Posts)
mirai Sun 04-Nov-12 04:24:05

Running is great. It's free, it's supposedly easy (put on your trainers and go), and hopefully it will shrink my huge bum (seriously my bum is very very big and round) blush

BUT. I'm rubbish at it. Terrible. My ears get cold, I feel everything jiggle, it hurts and I just want to give up.

Is there any hope for me? Can people like me turn into good runners? I'm actually getting ear pain just thinking about it. Or, is there no hope?

I really need to do some exercise. Tried swimming but the pool is too far - it took 3 hours out of my evening which wasn't sustainable. Tried doing an exercise video - but I'm exhausted after work and find it impossible to drag myself out of bed in the morning as it's SO cold and I'm always SO tired. Something needs to be done. Help!

LavenderBriggs Sun 30-Jun-13 10:49:42

Ubermumsy grin it's taken me by surprise! I think it might be fitness - there's no pain or stress, just the wonderful feeling of exercising for the sheer fun of it. But this is all new to me. Years ago I hurt my knee using the rowing machine and it took 18 months to get better (Ehlers Danlos Syndrome - we don't heal quickly), but the stronger I get, the stronger I get. Good news about your calves - did you take Thursday and Friday off?

I've got another 5.5k running to add. Where's that Surf with our total? How long have we got?

Ubermumsy Sun 30-Jun-13 14:38:41

Wow, you have EDS and you can row and run? <bows reverently>

Yes, Thurs and Fri off. And I'm going to do some shorter runs for a bit - maybe only do 5k once a week/10 days, until I get a bit fitter. As I've only been running for, what, 6 weeks, so don't want to do too much too soon!

surfandturf Sun 30-Jun-13 22:11:47

Hi guys, you've all been busy!!!! I on the other hand have been busy sunbathing at the beach for most of the weekend!!!! (looking a little lobster-red blush

Will get on and tot up the totals tomorrow (too tired tonight) and give you all an update. Hopefully I will have a few k's to add as planning on going out for a run in the morning.

Have also sent an email about joining a local club for 'slow' runners and am just waiting for them to get back to me. Need to push / motivate myself as I have been getting really lazy recently sad

itried Sun 30-Jun-13 22:17:14

Start off with a combination of walking and running. Walk from one lamp post to the next. Run/jog to the next, then walk again. Alternate until you can do it easily. Then run from lamp post 1, past lamp post 2 to lamp post 3, then walk to lamp post 4. You will soon find you can leave out the walking. Just go round the block at first or to the end of your road and back. It is not about being good at running, it's about fitness and health. Good luck!

Somethingtothinkabout Sun 30-Jun-13 23:31:51

A not as fast as intended 2k from me last night!

LavenderBriggs Mon 01-Jul-13 14:45:08

grin Ubermumsy It's taken me years to get this far. Around 5 years ago I was thinking about buying a walking stick as I was in so much pain. Three years ago I broke down in front of a physio when he said "you have to use your own strength" - I didn't have any strength. But I've made my way one problem at a time and now I can row and run. I have so many fewer pain flare-ups these days and I feel really very lucky - I know others with EDS who are having a much harder time of it.

Hi Surf don't mind us, you go and have fun grin

Round of applause for Something for adding 2k in horrible muggy weather.

Somethingtothinkabout Tue 02-Jul-13 06:58:53

Another 6k from me!

Lavender, you rock smile That is mightily impressive.

Ubermumsy Tue 02-Jul-13 10:27:46

Argh, guess which dibley forgot her trainers? No run for me this lunchtime - will have to try to fit one in this evening, around getting ready to go away tomorrow. (DH is doing a sponsored cycle ride and I'm going with the kids to stay at MIL's - she lives a stone's throw from the end of the ride in Bridlington.)

surfandturf Tue 02-Jul-13 12:40:59

Ooh - have fun uber

Lavender grin - I'm back on it! Even logged back in to MFP so you can laugh at my sugar intake once more!!!

3.4k from me yesterday morning - FINALLY!!!! I feel so much better for getting out again and seem to have got my mojo back!!!!

The totals so far look like this:

Something - 29.9
Uber 26.5
Lavender 25.7
Artemis 20.24
Beluga 6.4
Surf 3.4

Total to date - 112.14

Well doen everyone. I think 300 k was probably a little bit optimistic given that we've had some ladies down. Shall we aim for 200k before the 11th July? I think that's more achievable?

Ubermumsy Tue 02-Jul-13 16:13:08

Thanks surf - though I'm not sure that 4 days with both kids and my MIL will be much fun! (Though MIL is a diamond, don't get me wrong - but DS is driving me bonkers being a leetle challenging at the moment, and MIL has successfully brought up 4 kids, one stepkid - DH - and oodles of grandchildren and great-grandchildren. I always feel like a highly inadequate mum next to her!)

I'll take my trainers and see if I can't escape for half an hour every now and then!

something, your total is amazing given the horrible sweaty weather. And lavender's is just amazing full stop.

rhonda, if you're lurking, how is that leg doing?

LavenderBriggs Tue 02-Jul-13 19:54:45

<rocks> grin

Surf I haven't logged in for ages - I'll have a look. I'm still low-carbing and loving it - haven't had cake in months and I don't miss it all. Glad to hear your running mojo has returned. Isn't it amazing when you get it back?

Something well done on the 6k. What sort of times are you doing your 6s in?

Uber hope you don't feel too intimidated by MIL. Running will give you a good bit of breathing space.

I have 8k rowing to add to total. 52 minutes! I'm more surprised than anyone. I didn't have any pain and I feel absolutely fine now. I'm getting into uncharted territory here. I seem to be exercising every day now - either running. rowing or tabata pilates - if I keep going it seems to stop the DOMS from getting hold.

Ubermumsy Tue 02-Jul-13 21:37:34

5k from me tonight, in case I don't get another chance until next week.

Lavender, that's just ridiculous grin This is supposed to be a Truly Crap Runners thread!

Somethingtothinkabout Tue 02-Jul-13 22:05:09

I'm hoping to be able to maintain a pace of 5:30 per k for distances less than 5k and under 6mins per k for 10k distances, it seemed to be going ok up until 5-6 weeks ago then, I'm hoping it's just due to the heat, I just started getting slower and slower... and slower confused

Last night was back on track for the first time at 33mins for 6k so I was really chuffed, but I went at 11pm so it was significantly cooler than it has been!

Uber, if your MIL is getting too much, a run will probably make you feel a lot better! Even if it's a fast 10mins to take the edge off!

Lavender, a good friend of mine has ME and when it's bad she uses a walking stick. She's only 30, stress makes her worse, and her immune system gets weak etc when it's bad and she can't walk far or fast, but the last few months she started going to the gym and slowly built up her strength walking on the treadmill or on the Xtrainer(it was her wedding a few weeks ago and she wanted to get in shape). She also seems to have gone from strength to strength with the more she manages to do, even with the stress of planning the wedding, she took it all in her stride. I hope she can (and wants to) keep going with it because the difference in her, in all ways, is brilliant. <proud> I know it's a different condition to EDS, but it's great to hear things that can be managed easier with gradual training, up until the point where you can row for over 50mins! Even the boys in my old rowing club only did 40 minutes on the rowing machine!

With our mega-miler Beluga off on her hols, I think we're all doing really well to be up over 100k already, let's keep chipping away at it a bit at a time, no matter how small! Come on team!

Ubermumsy Wed 03-Jul-13 11:40:42

I'm sure re MIL that she'd be quite upset if she knew how I felt; it's probably my own insecurities and inadequacies which make me feel that way! Though it doesn't help that I get a few comments about my "advanced" maternal age grin - 36 and 38 isn't old these days to have kids, but MIL's family all start early, so I was having babies at the age she, and many of her kids/nieces/nephews, became grandparents! So I feel I can never admit to being tired or frazzled because it'll just be put down to being an older mum...

Ooh, sorry for the mememe ramble.

Can I ask how long it's taken all you 30 minute 5kers to get to that time? I manage it in 40 minutes, not counting a 3 minute breather half way. But I seem to be stuck at 8mins per km, no matter how long my run - if I go faster I blow up!

LavenderBriggs Wed 03-Jul-13 13:51:07

Something that's really interesting about your friend. It's more evidence for me that exercise is the way out of chronic health conditions (not the way out, the way to help manage). If I'd read that a few years ago I would have wailed "but I can't exercise" - it really has to be a tiny step, then another tiny step. I hope she keeps it up and it helps her.

Also, I think the EDS has helped in a small way - I never take my fitness or strength for granted. I know people who were always fit up until their late 30's and it's hitting them bad - they expected to always bounce back. I know how hard I have to fight to be fit and I feel the need to explain to people who don't have underlying health problems that they need to get a hold on fitness, it's not automatic for ever. /end of rant.

Uber it's just a matter of time. And to be fair, 5k in 40 minutes is fantastic. Or maybe your body is better at running at 8 mins. One thing you could try is doing your gentle jog, then sprinting for 10 seconds, then back to gentle jog. That way you're doing speed work, but you're doing a tiny bit so you don't blow up. When you've done 10 seconds on a couple of runs you could try and do 10 second sprints twice in a run. Then you're letting your body know you want to go faster, but it's a very calm, measured way.

Surf that's not a load of sugar! (Not going to mention the carbs. Oh no.)

surfandturf Wed 03-Jul-13 19:08:16

Another 3.7k from me today.

I am slow uber I ran this 3.7k today in 24 mins blush Am hoping by my race in October I will able to run 5k in 30 mins but I'm not sure. I seem to be comfortable at this pace. I have noticed that I seem to match the beat to my music though so might have a shop around for an actual running album and see if that helps grin

Thanks for the motivational pep talk Something!

Lavender ssssshhhhh! don't even mention the carbs! wink

LavenderBriggs Wed 03-Jul-13 19:34:39

Just a quickie - what I did was count the number of paces I took in a minute and found the right music to listen to. When I'm plodding at the end of a run I have "I fought the law" in my head (152 bpm). It can be useful to have a couple of songs at the right bpm in your head - does that make sense? Click for bpm

Somethingtothinkabout Wed 03-Jul-13 21:26:23

I breathe in time to the beat when I'm running, rather than steps, and, for some weird unknown reason, I take two breaths in and then one out. hmm

Uber, I have a comfortable (ish!) pace, well over 6minutes per k, that I feel I could maybe keep going at for a long time, (y'know, if someone told me there was a million pounds for me at the end of 20k for example! Frequent dream of mine). I find it hard to push it faster and it seems like a lot of pain at the time for no noticeable improvement one run to the next, but over a few months it gradually came down bit by bit, but I did wheeze and dry heave, sorry after the ones where I tried to shift up a gear, and I usually end up stopping half way through.

I might do a little run again tonight, maybe. Now I've written it down I have to do it, damn!

Somethingtothinkabout Wed 03-Jul-13 21:29:39

<applauds Surf's mojo for knocking out 7k in 3 days> smile

Somethingtothinkabout Wed 03-Jul-13 22:32:34

DP says he CBA and says it's too late to go on my own.

Let's never speak of my penultimate post again blush blush blush

I'll go tomorrow!

Ubermumsy Fri 05-Jul-13 21:05:37

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies! I have 4 sweat-drenched, lung-bursting, leg-leadening km to report this evening. (4k in bang on 30 mins, though I note that's a whopping 15 seconds a km quicker than my usual pace - go me!) You know on RunKeeper, it gives you little stats for your run like time, distance, calories etc? It should have a perspiration stat too, ideally measured in gallons. Or possibly cumecs.

It was a really lovely run scenery-wise though - hedges full of dogrose and elderflower, hares bouncing about in the verges (I saw 7 in total), a red kite stoogeing overhead, and a final blast of honeysuckle as I came up the bastard steep hill back to MIL's.

Anyway, I'm off for a Cadbury Mini Roll or eight.

LavenderBriggs Sat 06-Jul-13 10:04:09

Hi *Ubermumsy Well done for the 4k. Glad you enjoyed the scenery - it means that you weren't struggling if you could count hares.

Surf get your calculator/spreadsheet out grin I did 8k rowing yesterday. Went out this morning with bike and DH (he rides it on the tricky parts as I've only just learned and am a bit rubbish). I've got 4.6k cycling to add and 2k for the run home (With DH on bike being encouraging).

I feel a bit tired and a tiny bit muscle sore, but I can't wait for next exercise - it seems that the more you do the more you want to do. Right shower time, then I'm going to have great big coffee with cream and a ton of buttery scrambled eggs.

ArtemisatBrauron Sun 07-Jul-13 19:45:25

Hey all! I've bee away in Germany for a week, and did NO running (ate a LOT of bread and sausages though, and drank rather too much weissbier)

Did a measly 3k today, it nearly killed me in the heat and with about 10 days of laziness behind me.

Ubermumsy Tue 09-Jul-13 13:39:24

Man down again! I've picked up a summer flu bug. On the hottest day of the year so far, I'm huddled in bed with a hot water bottle.

LavenderBriggs Tue 09-Jul-13 15:15:39

Welcome home ArtemisatBrauron The last time I went to Germany I took my running kit with me. It never left my bag - in my defence, I was by a lake and got mugged by some mozzies. Well done for getting 3k done.

Ubermumsy Get well soon! flowers Hopefully your fitness will get you back to health soon.

I've got another 9.2k rowing to add. The lack of pain is such a massive thing for me. Very happy now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now