Want to run but am TRULY CRAP at it... Is there any hope?

(609 Posts)
mirai Sun 04-Nov-12 04:24:05

Running is great. It's free, it's supposedly easy (put on your trainers and go), and hopefully it will shrink my huge bum (seriously my bum is very very big and round) blush

BUT. I'm rubbish at it. Terrible. My ears get cold, I feel everything jiggle, it hurts and I just want to give up.

Is there any hope for me? Can people like me turn into good runners? I'm actually getting ear pain just thinking about it. Or, is there no hope?

I really need to do some exercise. Tried swimming but the pool is too far - it took 3 hours out of my evening which wasn't sustainable. Tried doing an exercise video - but I'm exhausted after work and find it impossible to drag myself out of bed in the morning as it's SO cold and I'm always SO tired. Something needs to be done. Help!

surfandturf Thu 16-May-13 07:01:13

Excellent something! I really want to do a park run Belugagrad. Think it would give me more inspiration!

surfandturf Thu 16-May-13 07:07:25

Mirai - I lied! I just found out that DH has nike+ on his ipod. I'm sure he won't mind me borrowing it!

Lavender - how did your mum's op go? Hope you are all managing ok?

mirai Thu 16-May-13 09:32:12

Hello hello checking in!! I see we are doing splendidly and I can add a 3.4k and a 4k to the list!! grin I have been really under the cosh (is that the right spelling), with work and DH's work hence being a bit quiet! Do we need to do a spreadsheet or is someone taking care of it? I do love a good spreadsheet me smile

Surf that is fantastic! When are you going for your next one? My iPhone has been playing up this week so I didn't take it but I will take it out tomorrow morning! PM me his (your!) username!

Belugagrad Thu 16-May-13 15:41:30

Well done mirai! I did 8 miles this morning and 5 at lunch - on thurs I get doughnuts from my gran so need to work hard!

surfandturf Sat 18-May-13 08:04:44

Hi ladies, I am going to push myself for a much longer run this weekend. I've never run for more than 30 minutes before so keen to see how far I can get with no time restrictions.

I have started a spreadsheet Mirai and between us we have clocked up 51k. The majority of that has been completed by Belugagrad and sadly I am lacking behind (but hope to make up for it this weekend!) Maybe we should go for a combined 200k as the way we are going Belugagrad will have reached our target all by herself by Wednesday!!!!

I am tempted to sign up for the Bournemouth 'speed of light' 5k run in October. It sounds lovely. A run along the seafront at dusk and it's all lit up and pretty. Really nervous about signing up for something 'formal' and I don't know why!!!

Somethingtothinkabout Sat 18-May-13 11:38:29

13.2k from me this morning! So pleased I did it as I had stupidly made a 13k run a "goal" on my app in a moment of madness a month ago to be done by the end of May then instantly regretted it. But it's done now, and though my legs felt wrecked after 9k they got me to the end without stopping. Whoohoo!

Surf, that evening 5k just sounds absolutely amazing. It actually sounds like my ideal run, I love running later on in the day. Might see if DP is up for a little trip to the other end of the country!

I'd love to run a half marathon at night, by moonlight maybe, with the city (any city really) all lit up. There's probably a Health and Safety reason why I've never seen one.

Somethingtothinkabout Sat 18-May-13 15:28:16

Can you put running trainers in the washing machine without ruining them? Mine aren't white anymore (and white trainers make you legs look more tanned, don't they?!).

If not, how do you clean them? Or do I just need to buy new ones? They've done about 300km over the years so may need replaced anyway, though they feel fine.

Belugagrad Sat 18-May-13 16:48:52

Surf that race sounds amazing! Cancer research do a walking night half/ full marathon, looks good but I'd want to run. Well done for 13k something!

ArtemisatBrauron Sun 19-May-13 10:39:33

Hi all, can I join? I am running my first 5k in June (race for life) and I am terrified! I can just about make a 5k at the minute but I am very slow and feel embarrassed at the thought of chundering round in front of 100s of people in 5 weeks time!

Somethingtothinkabout Sun 19-May-13 15:50:35

Welcome Artemis smile Please do join as our monthly goal has just doubled to 200k and we need all the help we can get!

If you've already reached the 5k distance then that's one less thing to worry about as you can now have the confidence in your legs that they'll get you round the course smile Speed is secondary to enjoyment anyway! Plus, as slow as you think you are, there'll be loads who are slower than you, promise. You'll LOVE it!

ArtemisatBrauron Sun 19-May-13 18:05:17

Thanks something smile I managed 5k today outside in 32 minutes, that's a lot quicker than usual (usually 35-40 mins) but my step dad has said he is only sponsoring me for the race if I complete it in under 28 mins so I was really going for it and was nearly dead at the end

gym tomorrow - will try to work on speed!

mirai Sun 19-May-13 23:11:07

Hi Artemis!

Just a quick check-in to say two x 3.8kms from me! smile

mirai Sun 19-May-13 23:12:12

And shock grin to the new target!

surfandturf Mon 20-May-13 14:28:23

Hi ladies - I am really slacking - need to make much more of an effort this week!

something the moonwalk in London is a marathon / half marathon which you can either run or walk. Maybe we should all sign up next year?!!!

Hi Artemis welcome! Agree with everything something said about your impending 5K race - you'll be fine!

Somethingtothinkabout Mon 20-May-13 15:28:35

I've verbally agreed to do a 5k fun run for a charity thing with work at the end of July. So I need to keep up what I am doing at the minute and pick a time to aim for.

I think I'll pick 2 times, one for if it's a 'good' day where you feel 'springy' when you start, and a back up goal for if it's one of those days when your legs feel like lead and every step is a struggle.

I planned on a run this morning as I have the day off work, but it was 21 degrees so I've come to the park instead grin Maybe later when it's a bit cooler!

(sorry team)

Ps I'd be up for a London moonwalk half marathon next year for sure! Do you think we get to run with little lights on us?! [novelty eases pain]

Somethingtothinkabout Mon 20-May-13 20:54:13

1.95k from me sad

Tried to do intervals, didn't work out [boak].

Belugagrad Tue 21-May-13 15:41:25

6 miles from me today

Welcome artem! Race for life has the best vibe, you'll be so inspired it'll all be worth itsmile

Intervals are so hard something, well doe for giving it a go.

So park run was rally good! Not too big and as the only person in my age group I came first in 25-29! I won something! Lol

ArtemisatBrauron Tue 21-May-13 17:57:31

5.25k from me today! Had unexpected day off yesterday back on the wagon now!

LavenderBriggs Tue 21-May-13 18:34:42

Hello all. I couldn't even look at this thread when it got all stressy, but there has definitely been corner-turning going on. Thanks Surf for being lovely thanks

Mum is getting stronger by the day. She's a wee bit lopsided, but she's getting there. I'm in two minds about the Race for Life - it's usually emotionally charged (dad died of cancer years ago) - I just don't know.

Now, what's this spreadsheet all about? Can I join in?

Last thing - I used my council's offer of a free cycle lesson. I've never been able to ride and I thought I'd have one last go at learning. I had a lovely chap take me through how to look after my bike and then...how to ride! I can ride a bike.

Belugagrad Wed 22-May-13 14:17:57

Hi lavender- I did that free cycle lesson too, I had a nice man too! I learnt to ride at 22, we're inspirational!

Glad your mums getting there xx

ArtemisatBrauron Wed 22-May-13 18:36:17

4.5 k from me today - hip packed it in so couldn't finish my usual run. I do ashtanga yoga and my teacher has drummed it into me never to push into pain when practising, so I am always careful with joints etc when running.

ArtemisatBrauron Wed 22-May-13 18:37:07

Lavender sorry to hear you've been having a hard time, hope things keep getting better for you.

Somethingtothinkabout Wed 22-May-13 23:23:59

Lavender, join in with the spreadsheet fun if you feel up to it!

If you don't want to do Run for Life, this year (very understandable given all you have going on) maybe you could do a sponsored cycle later in the year? I think they do 10k cycles etc which might be something for you to aim for, and you might get an even bigger sense of accomplishment from it as you'll be utilising your new talent!

1.5k from me this morning - hill sprints! Went at 6:15am, home at 7, showered and went back to bed for a 30 minute power nap - woke up like it had just all been a dream and trotted off to work happy as Larry.

Belugagrad Thu 23-May-13 12:31:05

Well done Artem! Would you say yoga helps with your running?

Good work on the sprints Something! I dread my weekly speedwork...i need to do more hill sprints rather than just gritting my teeth!

So I did 9 miles yesterday and 5.5 miles today. 9 miler was at my marathon pace on a new route so was actually really nice - my godmother was on her way to work so I saw her twice en route in her car - it was like having my own support team!

ArtemisatBrauron Thu 23-May-13 12:38:25

Belu yes definitely - my joints are much more flexible and stronger, and I think I am more aware of the limitations of my body so hopefully less likely to get an injury. Also ashtanga is quite dynamic and has strengthened my core a lot so I am generally fitter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now