Want to run but am TRULY CRAP at it... Is there any hope?

(609 Posts)
mirai Sun 04-Nov-12 04:24:05

Running is great. It's free, it's supposedly easy (put on your trainers and go), and hopefully it will shrink my huge bum (seriously my bum is very very big and round) blush

BUT. I'm rubbish at it. Terrible. My ears get cold, I feel everything jiggle, it hurts and I just want to give up.

Is there any hope for me? Can people like me turn into good runners? I'm actually getting ear pain just thinking about it. Or, is there no hope?

I really need to do some exercise. Tried swimming but the pool is too far - it took 3 hours out of my evening which wasn't sustainable. Tried doing an exercise video - but I'm exhausted after work and find it impossible to drag myself out of bed in the morning as it's SO cold and I'm always SO tired. Something needs to be done. Help!

surfandturf Wed 08-May-13 07:18:52

Yey excellent! Shall we start from Monday? What would be a reasonable target which we can build on do you think?

Belugagrad Wed 08-May-13 12:04:46

Brilliant idea surf, I'm up for it. I think we should do 25k combined as a group and if we don't hit it we don't get any wine!

mirai Wed 08-May-13 12:51:02

Oh my life in preview that came up as "I think we should do 25k..." and I nearly fell off my chair thinking you meant EACH!!

mirai Wed 08-May-13 12:52:15

By the way, brew and flowers to Lavender and your mum, hope it goes well this week xx

Belugagrad Wed 08-May-13 13:35:11

Lol at each! I like the idea Of a combined 100k a month

mirai Wed 08-May-13 14:29:33

That does sound rather impressive... How many of us are in? grin

surf
somethingtothinkabout
belugagrad
mirai

The more the merrier!!

Belugagrad Wed 08-May-13 18:26:35

96 more people and we'd be away! smile

Somethingtothinkabout Wed 08-May-13 23:32:45

This is a great idea!

Somethingtothinkabout Wed 08-May-13 23:34:18

Although, Belu, you know you'll maybe eventually be doing about 100k a week on your own for your marathon training!!!

<falls off chair>

Somethingtothinkabout Thu 09-May-13 00:02:35

Ahem, sorry for multiple posts blush

Do we all need to be on the same running app or can it somehow be synced up?

I'm using Runkeeper but I'd consider doing a switcheroo if everyone is on something else and I can get it on android.

Ps - I've ticked off 7k for this week's target tonight!

mirai Thu 09-May-13 09:32:43

Something, I love the Nike plus app which you can get on android. The detail you get back in terms of stats is awesome, you can have leader boards with your friends, and it motivates you with "trophies" and various other bits of encouragement! I would love to have more friends on there ;)

mirai Thu 09-May-13 09:34:07

And you can set yourself challenges like run X times in Y weeks, or run X miles by Y date, it tells you when you go off track blush and when you're doing well!

surfandturf Sat 11-May-13 17:35:57

I'm definitely in. So are we going for 100k combined over the next 4 weeks starting on Monday 13th? I use endomondo - Am willing to switch to something else but I don't have android or an ipod technophobe so Nike thing no good for me I'm afraid. If we are willing to trust each other we could just log our distance and time on here and I could start a spreadsheet!!!!

Belugagrad Sun 12-May-13 09:35:21

I'm up for 100k combined for a months work! I run unplugged so will log my distances on here. C'mon! Bring on tomorrow! smile

mirai Sun 12-May-13 15:06:03

Yay sounds good! Sall we break it down into weekly mini targets to try and keep on track/keep momentum going? (I'm all for a good spreadsheet ;) )

Somethingtothinkabout Sun 12-May-13 21:29:55

Damn! I did 10k this morning, 1 day too early! Although it wasn't a good one, really heavy legged so I don't mind it being excluded from the Excel spreadsheet official records!

So, 100k between us by the 9th June? I'm ready!

surfandturf Mon 13-May-13 07:31:55

I did 4.66km yesterday Something. That was my practice run!

Mirai - If there are 4 of us taking part, that's 25k each over the month so I guess we need to aim for just over 6km per week each? I've never been very good at maths!

I think if we exceed our 100k target we all deserve an extra glass of wine at the end!

Belugagrad Mon 13-May-13 13:03:19

Happy day 1 100k club!

To confuse things further i work in miles...sorry! I did 7 miles today :-) 4 miles run in the morning and 3 miles of speedwork at lunch.

surfandturf Mon 13-May-13 19:02:28

That's ok Belugagrad. I'm sure we can work it out! So day 1 off to a good start! I am going out in the morning to do my first bit! I don't think I'll be anywhere near 7 miles though as unfortunately I don't get a lunch break in my line of work - flat out from 7.30am till 6pm!

Right I'm off to put the first stats on the spreadsheet!!!!

surfandturf Tue 14-May-13 07:55:45

Ok I've done 3.53km this morning. You've put me to shame with your 11k yesterday Belugagrad!

Belugagrad Tue 14-May-13 16:41:17

This is a great start! I did 3.5 miles today

surfandturf Tue 14-May-13 17:55:07

Belugagrad - I think you are going to end up doing this for all of us! You've clocked up almost 17k in 2 days! Keep going and I'll have a lie in for the next few days wink

Belugagrad Tue 14-May-13 18:14:00

I'm having a rest day tomorrow so you can catch up! I'm going to my first park run Saturday, reall excitedsmile

Somethingtothinkabout Tue 14-May-13 21:24:00

3.1k from me this evening!

Belugagrad Wed 15-May-13 21:00:04

Well done something!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now