Want to run but am TRULY CRAP at it... Is there any hope?

(609 Posts)
mirai Sun 04-Nov-12 04:24:05

Running is great. It's free, it's supposedly easy (put on your trainers and go), and hopefully it will shrink my huge bum (seriously my bum is very very big and round) blush

BUT. I'm rubbish at it. Terrible. My ears get cold, I feel everything jiggle, it hurts and I just want to give up.

Is there any hope for me? Can people like me turn into good runners? I'm actually getting ear pain just thinking about it. Or, is there no hope?

I really need to do some exercise. Tried swimming but the pool is too far - it took 3 hours out of my evening which wasn't sustainable. Tried doing an exercise video - but I'm exhausted after work and find it impossible to drag myself out of bed in the morning as it's SO cold and I'm always SO tired. Something needs to be done. Help!

Belugagrad Thu 25-Apr-13 12:31:40

Well done Mirai and Binger.

I agree Mirai, you have to find a time that works for you. Im a morning/ lunchtime person but on a saturday I quite like a pre-dinner run.

Are you heading out today Binger? I have a vision of my perfect dog, who goes running with me and doesn't poo then comes home and sleeps by the aga and doesnt get mud everywhere. I don't have an aga or a dog. This is all my dog/country house fantasy.

Did my last long run before my race today. 8miles and it was actually really hard until near the end, bad rehearsal? - just got a few more relaxed jogs planned in now. I also treated myself to a new pair of running shoes. Can't break them in until after my race but my current shoes were squeaking. Ive had them since 2008!

Somethingtothinkabout Thu 25-Apr-13 23:57:41

Well done Mirai smile Be sure to share your pain with us tomorrow too!

I'm another one who prefers to run after work and before dinner. Can't run after food (get a stitch) and my body doesn't work too well in the mornings.

I also have the exact same dog dream; me effortlessly jogging along 15km, dog obediently running along beside, no lead, no poos, no road crossing issues, no chasing other dogs. DP wants a dog desperately and told me that is exactly what it would be like... Now I'm onto him.

Somethingtothinkabout Thu 25-Apr-13 23:59:10

Belu, better to get the bad run done with now rather than on your raceday. It's a good omen I think.

littleginger Fri 26-Apr-13 00:19:14

I'm sure that there have been lots of examples trotted out with the intention of motivating any stubborn runners out there but here's another one!

My 62 year old dad who had never exercised in his life, has had a shattered heel since his 20s and suffers from a generic dodgy old man knee suddenly started running 2 years ago using one of those walk/run/walk programmes and has been running 3/4 10km races per year since.

Each time I am in shock and awe. My own trainers are still tied up in a carrier bag at the bottom of the wardrobe but if anyone else wants to feel motivated then feel free :D

binger Fri 26-Apr-13 16:13:39

Dog dream is not the reality sadly. Went out this morning with her and poo was done during warm up walk so no flapping poo bag issue. However she wanted to sniff every blade of grass so I spent most of the time being yanked to a sudden halt or having to drag her.

On a plus I really enjoyed it this morning. Hopefully we'll both adjust and the dream will become reality.

Love the story about 62 year old dad - I want this to be me!

8 miles - eek!

grin

Somethingtothinkabout Sat 27-Apr-13 13:53:39

DP now says the dog needs to be 'trained' to run beside you, hmmm back peddling me thinks!

I was having a low motivation week after my 10km last weekend but the other night before bed I made myself do a fast 15 run before my shower. Today I did 6k and it was my fastest ever. I think the short fast runs are actually helping a lot with speed. I was always a distance or nothing person, but now I realise the error of my ways!

Also - a nice little achievement - today, about 2k in, I realised I had just run 500metres in a total daydream, as in I had been running but not thinking 'I'm running, it hurts, keep going', just thinking about something else entirely. I'm actually more pleased with that than the fastest speed PB, as one of my less tangible goals is to be able to run about 5k without really thinking about it.

Belugagrad Sat 27-Apr-13 18:49:42

Hmm I'm never gone find this dream dog! Ah well and shad
Are bad for he environment. New dream needed!

It's good to switch off for a run. Well done on achieving your goal something! I too am distance or nothing but trying
To do speed work. I'm on a rest weekend. I want to get out but my
Last run was tough and I think I need to rest up before the race. Desperate to get out!! Yesterday I went out and got attacked by stinging nettles- that distracted me!!

I'm currently reading chrissie wellingtons
Autobiography and it's so inspiring

maxpower Sat 27-Apr-13 18:57:43

Because of dh's shift pattern there are blocks of time when I'm either at work or looking after the dcs on my own so childcare becomes prohibitive. Has anyone managed to achieve couch to 5k when they can't run to a regular schedule?

maxpower Sat 27-Apr-13 19:00:22

Because of dh's shift pattern there are blocks of time when I'm either at work or looking after the dcs on my own so childcare becomes prohibitive. Has anyone managed to achieve couch to 5k when they can't run to a regular schedule?

Somethingtothinkabout Sat 27-Apr-13 20:04:14

Hi Maxpower, I still think it's achievable yes, you just need to try and do 2 runs a week on the difficult weeks and make yourself go maybe before your DH leaves for work or later at night when he's back, would that be possible with his shift pattern? Any chance that when you have the DCs on your own you could go to a park and they could cycle along beside you for 10-15mins? this could be as unrealistic as the canine running buddy dream

Belu I'm sure it is a good idea to let your legs properly recover for a few days when you are this close! You'll be glad you did next weekend I'm sure. Have you got another goal for after you 10miler?

mirai Sun 28-Apr-13 05:17:24

Hi all, I wasn't too sore the next day actually. I'd been reading some books on running and one tip was, "go slow, then go slower!", so I made myself remember that all the way round, which really helped me, not quite enjoy it, but at least I wasn't hating it.

It's a pretty warm day here today but I'm going to go out for run no.2 just before tea time, the sun shouldn't be too bad then. I think if I stick to a certain time of day then that'll help me make it more of a habit too. smile

maxpower Sun 28-Apr-13 09:40:52

Thanks something. When he's on nights we're like a tag team just handing the dcs over to each other so it would be impossible for me to go out alone those weeks. Ds is only 2 so can't ride along and needs to be in bed early. If I can't make it a habit I think I'll struggle to motivate myself

Somethingtothinkabout Tue 30-Apr-13 21:29:15

The good news: Just did my second 10km, it felt comfortable and it was 2mins 45seconds faster than my first smile

The bad news: I may be losing a toenail sad

The nail on my second toe has gone purple on one half and it's sore to touch. I can never get toenails right when I'm running. <sighs>

In the meantime I've painted it pillar box red and it looks lovely.

Anyone else been out again?

Belugagrad Wed 01-May-13 13:01:15

Oh dear something! In sorry about your toe nail! Running feet can
Look a Bit mank in flip flops!

Last run was yesterday and was really goodsmile swimming tomorrow then lots of pasta! Goal after the 10 miler will be a half
Or full marathon- if the weekend goes well! Need safety pins...

LavenderBriggs Wed 01-May-13 13:28:35

Hello all. Things have been a tad stressful chez Briggs. I was ill, then mum did the "could you have a look at this lump for me please?" Mum is going to have a mastectomy next week and the Race for Life has become even more meaningful for me.

Please distract me with wonderful running stories or ask me to kick you up the bum smile

Belugagrad Thu 02-May-13 11:41:22

I'm so sorry about your mum Lavender. Hope the Op goes well flowers . I'm sure you'll do her proud at race for life.

I found the thought of something's toe quite distracting!

Today was a swim to try and switch things up before saturday - can't do anymore now! eek!

Somethingtothinkabout Thu 02-May-13 18:02:42

Oh Lavender, your poor mum sad And you. So sorry. Are you getting sponsored for Race for Life? If so be sure to post a link for donations thanks

Does put my toe nail into perspective.

LavenderBriggs Thu 02-May-13 19:12:30

Thank you lovely posters flowers. To be honest, the toe nail made me slightly more queasy than mum's op smile

We've had a couple of close shaves with mum over the years, where she's been proper ill, so this all feels a bit strange as she isn't ill ill. She's been rushed into hospital a couple of times over the years so it's a bit of a luxury for us to be able to do some planning.

Will definitely link to sponsor thing - it's very kind of you to mention it.

No run for me today - I clumped my knee on the table (not on purpose) (have got a cracking bruise).

Somethingtothinkabout Sun 05-May-13 23:05:24

How'd it go Belu? Hope you've recovered and are feeling achieved!

Belugagrad Mon 06-May-13 14:41:13

Hi something! Did in 88 mins! Very happy but it was hillier than planned! Feel recovered today and up for a run
Tomorrow I think! Next challenge...

Somethingtothinkabout Mon 06-May-13 22:08:56

Well done! 88mins sounds very fast for 10miles!

thanks for you, or wine ?

I made the bloody stupid mistake of articulating my real running goal to a friend, it's a pretty unachievable ambitious one. Then today, I go for a run and it went badly. I wish I'd never said it now! I don't want to publicly fail!

Belugagrad Tue 07-May-13 16:09:15

Wine please!

Saying it aloud is making a commitment, im Sure you'll stick with it now and won't fail! Signing up is step one and saying it to people is step 2! Success step 3 and wine is step 4.

I've decided I need to tick off a marathon....

surfandturf Tue 07-May-13 19:10:39

Hi all. I haven't been on here for ages and was really pleased to see that the thread hasn't died a death. Well done everyone for keeping up the hard work.

Lavender - I have been thinking about you recently and meaning to get in touch as you have been quiet of late. So sorry to hear about your mum and sending best wishes her way for the op.

I really need some motivation. I have been doing some high intensity interval training and it was so hardcore I slacked on the running. Now the nicer weather has finally arrived I would really like to get back into some running.

I am quite competitive and wondered if any of you would like to try and set some little challenges which we could all try and do. Not so much for speed as I know we are all at different stages but I was thinking we could set a challenge of covering x amount of km per week. For example the first week could be we try and cover a minimum of 8 km. That could be all in one run or spread over several runs going as fast or as slow as you like and to fit in with your own schedule. Then the week after we could aim to cover 10km over the week. It would just help if I had to check in and had support to keep me going...what do you think? anyone want to take up the challenge???

Somethingtothinkabout Tue 07-May-13 22:03:23

Hi Surf, good to see you back smile

I'd definitely be up for that. Belu's right, you need to say the goal to people so if you wimp out you have a consequence to face!

Maybe we could all set a target at the beginning of the week and then check in to tick it off?

Belu, marathon!! Mental! You're on the right path though!

It's the Great Scottish Run in autumn, I'm toying with the idea of aiming for a 10k under a certain time, or a half marathon with the aim of finishing without walking!

mirai Tue 07-May-13 22:42:37

I'd be up for that too Surf. You can do a similar thing with Nike + if anyone's a member?! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now