Want to run but am TRULY CRAP at it... Is there any hope?

(609 Posts)
mirai Sun 04-Nov-12 04:24:05

Running is great. It's free, it's supposedly easy (put on your trainers and go), and hopefully it will shrink my huge bum (seriously my bum is very very big and round) blush

BUT. I'm rubbish at it. Terrible. My ears get cold, I feel everything jiggle, it hurts and I just want to give up.

Is there any hope for me? Can people like me turn into good runners? I'm actually getting ear pain just thinking about it. Or, is there no hope?

I really need to do some exercise. Tried swimming but the pool is too far - it took 3 hours out of my evening which wasn't sustainable. Tried doing an exercise video - but I'm exhausted after work and find it impossible to drag myself out of bed in the morning as it's SO cold and I'm always SO tired. Something needs to be done. Help!

TheEasterQODdy Sat 30-Mar-13 14:42:21

Oops just accidentally posted on the wrong running thread grin

Did my first 10km run today! Yippeeeee

I wasn't the slowest either

ok so the slowest was in agony after doing a 10 MILE race yesterday, but still

Somethingtothinkabout Thu 04-Apr-13 13:43:26

Well done QOD How'd you feel doing it? Ready for it (and thrilled at the end) or just puting one foot in front of the other the whole way round until you got there (and thrilled at the end!) wink

I went for a run on Monday, it was a disaster sad First awful one I've had this year. really heavy lethargic legs, calves burning, chest tight (even though it wasn't cold and I'm not ill) and I had to stop after less than 4k. <sigh> Need to get back on the horse now and wipe that one from my memory.

How's everyone else getting on?

QOD Thu 04-Apr-13 16:50:19

Ready and thrilled and could have kept going. But as soon as I stopped I was purple and sweating!
I went out yesterday and did 2 miles and OM flipping g. That was much harder!!
Freezing cold and at the end of the day as opposed to morning.

Going for a 3.5 miler tomorrow then holiday for a week in the sun. Will be doing a couple of morning runs

mirai Thu 11-Apr-13 16:45:59

still lurking blush

QOD Thu 11-Apr-13 18:51:03

I went for a run three days ago in Tenerife where I am currently on holiday.
I got utterly lost and rather scared

surfandturf Thu 11-Apr-13 21:02:26

Uh-oh QOD. That would be pretty scary. Hope you are ok now and enjoying the rest of your hols!

Mirai! Hello stranger!

Sorry ladies I have no running news to report - been utterly shite lately...

QOD Fri 12-Apr-13 08:51:26

Lol. I wasn't lost for 3 days though, I wrote that badly.
I could go today but meh, it's hot.
Home tomorrow BOOOOOO

Belugagrad Fri 12-Apr-13 11:44:37

Well done for running holiday QOD - its a shame you got lost but when that happens to me it stops me thinking about my run/pain as i am so focused on being scared/ getting my bearings! (I got lost over Easter running at my in-laws - i don't really know their area).

I have had a few good runs. Last weekend in the sunshine was a particular highlight and i did 8 miles yesterday morning in the rain! Can't decide whether to run today. I suffer from insomnia and last night was a bad night so i sort of want to just curl up but the fresh air might help me sleep better tonight...I don't know. Have good weekends everyone.

Somethingtothinkabout Sun 14-Apr-13 19:09:57

I've done a couple of runs since my last post, but they've not been great so I have decided I really need to step it up a bit. Since I set my target or at least 2 runs per week, I've only been going once a week really. It's not enough, I'm not getting faster or further so I need to make myself go more. Once every 3 days should be doable.

Bought a new running top and socks today as inspiration!

I want to get up to 6miles asap.

Mirai, hello! Are you feeling tempted by our tales of joy/woe to get onboard again?

Somethingtothinkabout Wed 17-Apr-13 21:06:27

Ok, I'm serious about it this time! After my run on Sunday I went for a run before work on Monday (first time ever <preens> ) and did a fast loop of the park which is 3.3km, sore legs yesterday from that which was good, then went for a 7km run tonight. It was very windy so I felt like I was running on the spot in places, but it was still my fastest 7km yet by 1 minute, well chuffed!

Must. Keep. Going.

Does anyone have any tips for getting rid of a stitch? I heard running with your arm in the air helps but I looked a bit silly and as soon as I put my arm back down it came back!

Belugagrad Thu 18-Apr-13 19:03:34

When I get a stitch I just try to take my mind off it and it goes, I also slowdown a bit. I don't let myself stop though.

Well done on your before work run! I feel so smug when I do that! It's been so windy today, when I struggled I just thought 'I'm glad I'm not on a bike' smile

2 1/2 weeks til my 10 miler! Last push next week

then tapering with speed work, light jogs and swimming.

Somethingtothinkabout Sun 21-Apr-13 21:10:11

Thanks Belu smile Did it today- hit 10km! It was haaard. Just after 8km I considered stopping but then I figured if I stopped I'd be sore and a failure, but 10minutes more and I'd be equally as sore but have reached my goal. So I finished it in under an hour smile Thrilled. and got home to 3 more lives in Candy Crush

My plan is that every 2 weeks I will fit in 2x3.5k, 2x7k and 2x10k. Once a month I will do 14k, maybe on payday, then I'll feel like I've earned it. <positively optimistic>

Enjoy your last week of beasting the training before winding down. You've done all the hard work now so trust that. Is a 10miler called a decathon sometimes?

I saw some good running quotes this week:

"In the beginning it's very hard to understand that the objective is not to beat the other runners. The competition is to beat the little voice in your head that makes you want to quit"

and

"Even a bad run is better than no run at all"

thanks

TimeForMeAndDD Mon 22-Apr-13 07:26:17

Hi everyone, great thread! I'm just after a little advice if I may? I love running, loved it ever since I can remember but haven't done it for years. I really would like to get back into it, something for me, an investment in myself and my ageing body but being a single parent it's going to be hard to get out and pound the pavements on a regular basis. I've been thinking about treating myself to a treadmill for a while now but not sure it's going to be as good for me as street running. So, would you recommend it? Would I gain the same benefits from running on a treadmill as I would the roads? I have heard that a treadmill is kinder on the joints so that's a plus as I am nearing 50 and don't want to do myself a mischief!! Any advice gratefully received, I would love to join you on thread smile

Belugagrad Mon 22-Apr-13 13:28:55

Well done on your 10k something. I love that last quote as I'm very hard on myself when a run is less than great. I think it's smart doing a training plan over 2 weeks.

Welcome timeforme! I'm not a great treadmill runner I'm afraid. I like nosing round people's front gardens! But it is better for the knees. Do you have space? I think a treadmill would be great for sped work and intervals. Also great as you can't get out as easily. Unless could you run at work? I run at lunch mainly. Monday's is 2 hrs of biggest loser, I'd like to run whilst I watch that as its pretty inspirational.

TimeForMeAndDD Mon 22-Apr-13 16:21:43

Thank you for your reply Belugagrad. I like nosing around people's gardens too, and the social aspect of being outdoors but I just don't have the freedom, I really want to get into a training programme but wouldn't be able to dedicate the time to outdoor runs. There's no chance of running at work am afraid, plenty of room there for a treadmill but no time to use it! I don't really have a lot of space at home so would have to squeeze it into my bedroom BUT I do have a TV in there too so could run while I view! grin

binger Mon 22-Apr-13 17:20:11

I couldn't run for the bus, seriously when I started I was recommended to run to one lamp post, walk to one, run to one etc. For ages that short run between lamp posts nearly killed me. Little by little though I built it up and I did a 10 k when I turned 40, one of the biggest achievements of my life. Sadly I stopped running that winter and haven't run for a couple of years.

I really want to start again but have no motivation and find it so hard. The only thing convincing me is that I have done it before.

The feeling when you have been out for a run is fab though so hopefully now it's a little warmer I will do it.

Go for it, one thing for sure is you will not regret it!

TimeForMeAndDD Mon 22-Apr-13 18:08:26

For me, it's the fact my body is changing, I am nearing 50 and things are sagging and wobbling and I don't like it. And I have energy that I don't use and don't want to lose. I don't feel 50 on the inside and don't want to look it on the outside. I do love running, I can't even walk slow, I just don't want to buy a treadmill and it become a hanger for my clothes!!

Somethingtothinkabout Mon 22-Apr-13 23:41:51

I used to run on treadmills about 7 years ago (before I found the joy of running outside). I'd say it's definitely easier on your joints, much easier in fact, don't think I ever got any shinsplints or ligament injuries either in fact.

The main reason it was good for me though was the treadmill paces you, which, when I first tried to run outside, I realised I had no idea how to do and went too fast and keeled over in 2-3minutes!

You can also program little plans into it like interval training, walking on an incline etc.

Go for it, you'll enjoy it when you get into it smile

Somethingtothinkabout Mon 22-Apr-13 23:46:17

in fact, in fact, in fact blush

Also, welcome Time and Binger smile

Belugagrad Tue 23-Apr-13 15:40:12

Welcome bingersmile

So time, have you been reading treadmill reviews? Or maybe look on eBay? You're on this thread now so no backing out! smile

I got out for 6 miles this morning which was good in the sun!

binger Tue 23-Apr-13 18:38:46

Lol just realised this thread has been going for a while. Well after reading through all your stories and tips you really got me in the mood and I went out this morning at 6.30 for day 1 of week 2 of c25k.

I took my dog with me and must have looked so daft, she was walking and I was (supposedly) jogging. Her pace never changed and yet I was puffing and panting as though I was going to collapse.

The first 1.5 min run was uphill with me carrying a poo bag - what a state!

Felt great afterwards and the runs on flat ground were actually really enjoyable. I want to go back out tomorrow but is it best to leave a day in between or does it not really matter at this level?

Somethingtothinkabout Tue 23-Apr-13 21:42:43

Haha Binger, your post really made me laugh thinking of your wee dog trotting along beside you having a great time! Glad you enjoyed it. You might be really sore tomorrow (if you go back through the thread you'll see on the 2nd and 3rd day I got stuck on the loo because of my thigh muscles blush ). However, apparently going for a run when you're sore is a really good way to loosen them up, you could be our test of that theory! Go on, you know you want to?!

Belu, I'm envious of your ability to run in the sun envy Living in Scotland, it's rarely something I need to contend with, except 1 year ago, the day of the Edinburgh half marathon. Freak heat day of 25 degrees, start line was in the shade, lovely, turned the first corner and BAM! Everyone seemed to love it but me, SPF 30 on and I still got sunstroke! Awful.

I think that's what puts me off doing more than 10-ish-km ever again!

binger Wed 24-Apr-13 08:32:18

Didn't bother this morning, soooo tired and a little stiff. Will need to wait until Friday now but probably for the best. Forgot how drained it leaves you.

mirai Thu 25-Apr-13 07:31:45

Hi all, 'sleeping' OP here. I haven't been posting but I have been reading and you have inspired me all the get back into the saddle, so to speak. I think things are different for me now in that it's not just "oh I want to get fit" but I actually want to make that commitment to myself.

At the same time I've realised that asking me to get up earlier than normal is just never going to happen, even with the BEST will in the world and the best time for me to go is straight after I get home from work, before dinner. To that end my running clothes are all laid out as I type, just waiting for me to get home tonight! W1D1 here I come! (Again, haha)

Is anyone on NikePlus who wants to add me? smile

mirai Thu 25-Apr-13 10:42:45

I did it! And it felt good! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now