Want to run but am TRULY CRAP at it... Is there any hope?

(609 Posts)
mirai Sun 04-Nov-12 04:24:05

Running is great. It's free, it's supposedly easy (put on your trainers and go), and hopefully it will shrink my huge bum (seriously my bum is very very big and round) blush

BUT. I'm rubbish at it. Terrible. My ears get cold, I feel everything jiggle, it hurts and I just want to give up.

Is there any hope for me? Can people like me turn into good runners? I'm actually getting ear pain just thinking about it. Or, is there no hope?

I really need to do some exercise. Tried swimming but the pool is too far - it took 3 hours out of my evening which wasn't sustainable. Tried doing an exercise video - but I'm exhausted after work and find it impossible to drag myself out of bed in the morning as it's SO cold and I'm always SO tired. Something needs to be done. Help!

surfandturf Sat 22-Dec-12 08:33:29

lavender confused

Just checking in as we are about to go off on a 6 hour drive to visit family over Christmas. Even got my running stuff packed to take with me although not looking forward to running up and down the hills and valleys of Lancashire when I'm used to the gentle flatness of east Dorset!

Have a great Christmas everyone and I'll be back in the New Year to check how you are getting on and give you a kick up the arse if needed!

Thanks Mirai for starting this thread I don't think I would have got this far without it!

smile

LavenderBriggs Mon 24-Dec-12 12:27:29

Foam Rollers! They do what a really good, deep tissue sports massage would do.

My legs were heavy and tired and I had to walk the last part of this mornings run, but after a roller session there is no pain in my legs and they feel much lighter and bouncier.

I wonder what our neighbours thought about about my foam roller session this morning "arrghh, no, help, oooh, harder, arrrgghh, that's my bum....hahaha" God knows what they think we were up to.

Hope you all have a lovely break and the lovely runners are looking forward to getting fitter in the new year.

surfandturf Wed 02-Jan-13 08:13:12

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

Hi Lavender, Thanks for the link. They look weird but sound like they would do the job nicely!

I admit, I have been a bit slack over Christmas. BUT...I did brave the gym on New Years Eve (too wet to run) and have been out for my first run of the year this morning. I did not want to get out of bed (nothing new there) but I felt great while actually running. For the first time ever I actually was bored doing the recovery walk and couldn't wait to get running again!

Now I just need to cut down on coffee, sugar and switch to skimmed milk. I also need to decide how to get rid of the copious amounts of chocolates I received for Christmas instead of eating them. Any ideas much appreciated!

FallingOver Wed 02-Jan-13 11:13:08

I highly recommend the chubbyjones podcast on itunes - the wonderful Mia has a whole series of podcasts for the couch to 5k, and beyond up to a 10k. I learned to run with the chubbyjones podcasts last year, and they are great for motivation, interesting (indie-ish) music, and just getting you through each run. Running is definitely a mental thing as much as a physical thing, and getting yourself mentally prepared for each run, from week 1 walk/run walk/run, right up to the end, is key IME.

Octopus37 Wed 02-Jan-13 21:35:57

Hi,

Can I join this thread, am a new runner, went for my first run yesterday. For the past five and a half years, have been doing loads of walking with a buggy,DC2 coming to the end of the buggy stage so suddenly going to be harder to keep fit. Have a smaller bum/hips than pre-kids (lost a stone after having DC1, but sadly as of my post Christmas weight, only four pounds of it has stayed off). Basic aim is to feel fitter and more toned, suppose I am what you might term "skinny fat" - 5ft5 and 8st7, but dress size usually 10 rather than 8 cause of wobbly bits, especially tummy. Would also be very pleased if I lost half a stone, trying to watch what I eat as well, but the mention of the word diet is enough to make me want to eat my bodyweight in chocolate, cakes, crisps and takeaways, so aiming to cut down and get rid of my food amnesia tendencies. Going to be 38 next week and realise that 40 is ebbing that bit closer. Would be chuffed if I was fit enough to do Race for Life in May relatively easily as my Mum would have been 70 this year.

LavenderBriggs Thu 03-Jan-13 11:22:19

Morning all. Haven't run for a week and am feeling a bit stiff and unfit. Going to get started again very soon as I have given myself a goal of dropping a it of weight - just to see if I can now I am officially an old fart (45th birthday last week).

Hi Surf. Put chocs in a cupboard and only take out in emergency. Or you could re-gift. Ooh, how about making fancy chocolate fudge and giving away!

Hi Octopus. RFL should be easily achievable if you get started now. I can remember 38 grin <stares into distance>

surfandturf Sat 05-Jan-13 16:22:55

Welcome octopus! You sound similar to me. I will hit 38 later this year and want to lose about half a stone.

*Lavender, I have zero will power when it comes to chocolate! I would love to be able to keep it in the cupboard for emergencies but if I know it's there I just have to eat it! I have already regifted some though. I think I will have to use my wine rule for chocolate too - so be good during the week and have what I want at weekends.

Bought a new bikini in the next sale and would like to feel brave enough to wear it this summer (if we ever get any sun) so I have started using skimmed milk as of now and my meal portions are smaller. I have also started doing a few sit ups before going to bed in the hope of swapping my muffin top for a 6 pack!

Moving on to week 6 of c25k next week's hope to start seeing some radical changes soon.

surfandturf Sat 05-Jan-13 16:25:09

P.S. Happy Belated Birthday Lavender thanks

LavenderBriggs Mon 07-Jan-13 11:13:07

Thank you very much. I'm in complete denial about being 45 grin but my body is in a much better state than when I was 35 and I'm tons fitter, so I've decided to just stop worrying. If you can have a rule then you do have will-power, you just need to direct it in the right direction. Good luck with ramping up the fitness - hope you start seeing some results soon.

Anyone else getting out and running? I have just started again after Xmas and a stinking cold and it feels very, very good to be out and moving again.

surfandturf Mon 07-Jan-13 19:33:34

Glad you've got out again Lavender. smile I did a full 20 minutes non-stop this morning which is a MASSIVE achievement for me! Very proud of myself and now I know I can do that I'm thinking I might sign up for a 5k charity run in the next few months. Would like to make sure I can do a full 30 minutes and speed up my pace a little before I full commit!

My DH has just turned 45 and he is much fitter than me! Your by no means over the hill yet! wink

surfandturf Mon 07-Jan-13 19:46:48

*You're

surfandturf Mon 07-Jan-13 19:47:51

and *fully what is going on with my brain tonight ?

surfandturf Mon 07-Jan-13 19:58:29

FallingOver I had a look at the Chubby Jones podcasts after seeing your post and might be tempted to give them a go (especially when I finish the nhs one - might keep me going to 10k as I need to keep motivated)

LavenderBriggs Tue 08-Jan-13 10:53:28

I paid for RUnkeeper Elite. Mainly because I like to see 'Elite' after my name. What's that about a fool and their money grin

Sign up for a race! It's great - you get a medal. Imagine that - a medal for running!

Hi Octopus. How's it going?

surfandturf Tue 08-Jan-13 19:23:34

A medal - just for me grin! I just checked and there are no dates for race 4 life yet...

LavenderBriggs Thu 10-Jan-13 14:57:44

I have three medals. I'm practically a professional athlete.

Is it just us? Where is Mirai? We should start a convo in AIBU for maximum traffic - AIBU to want to run?

mirai Thu 10-Jan-13 15:35:14

Mirai has been on honeymoon and she is now very jet lagged grin

Lovely to see all the new posts,mi am nodding off now but will read later... Zzzzz

mirai Thu 10-Jan-13 15:36:03

20 min that's fab surf smile x

LavenderBriggs Thu 10-Jan-13 15:40:46

Ooh! Welcome home. thanks

surfandturf Sun 13-Jan-13 14:40:43

I'm sure you've been getting enough of a workout on your honeymoon mirai wink Congratulations!!!

I now need to do w6r3 but have been putting it off (25 whole minutes - no stopping) the thought of it is terrifying but I know I'll feel great afterwards. Gonna psyche myself up for it for tomorrow morning although we are forecast snow!

LavenderBriggs Sun 13-Jan-13 17:16:21

Good luck for the morning. Get into a good pace and you'll be fine. I counted my paces and found a website that lists songs with the same beats per minute - so, when I'm going good I sing Blondie, One Way Or Another and when I'm plodding a bit I sing The Clash, I Fought The Law. It works in that it stops my pace being ragged and singing Clash songs makes me happy.

surfandturf Mon 14-Jan-13 19:32:26

Hi Lavender, Well there was no snow so I had no excuse to put it off again and I DID IT!!! Very proud of myself and I've even been on Endomondo today working out local routes I can run within 30 mins (as that is all the time I have to spare and I'm getting bored having gone round the same streets for the past 6 weeks!!!

Liking the song choices by the way!

I wasn't planning on dieting but I've also downloaded myfitnesspal and out of interest put in what I have eaten today. I didn't think I had done too badly but have gone over my daily calorie allowance by 122 calories. that would be the sneaky quality streets i couldn't resist this afternoon so am going to try and be more conscious about what I am eating during the week now too.

This is all your fault mirai who is this calorie counting fitness freak you have turned me into with your blase OP!!!

LavenderBriggs Mon 14-Jan-13 20:24:17

Well done! Have you read back over the thread to see how far you've come? Let me know if you want a pal on MFP. You could look at my diary and laugh at how much tea I drink grin.

It's all about getting a decent rhythm going #one way, or another...etc#

surfandturf Mon 14-Jan-13 22:46:47

Ooh Ooh yeah would love to have a friend on mfp but then you would get to see how much chocolate I eat grin

XBenedict Mon 14-Jan-13 23:13:25

Please can I join? I could have written the OP I would live to run but I can't and I never have been able to but after reading some of the tips on here I feel inspired to give it a go. DD2 is at nursery tomorrow and I'm meeting a friend at 10.30 for a coffee - I reckon I have a window of opportunity before coffee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now