A couple of questions on running please...

(7 Posts)
annieshaf Sun 28-Oct-12 18:47:19

Go for it Kelly
I was crap at all sports at school. I took up running after Xmas last year at the ripe old age of 42 and have just completed my first half marathon today. I loved every minute of it.

This time last year I could not have dreamed of being on such a high after 2 hours running in the pouring rain!

I also run with a women's only group and it's fantastic. Very sociable and no- one gets left behind as everyone loops back to keep the group together.

Good luck.

HalleLouja Sun 28-Oct-12 10:56:22

Look at couch to 5k. I can now run nearly 3 miles. We have a thread in sports and exercise if you want to join.

kellykettle Sat 27-Oct-12 16:26:21

Thank you! Well in that case I need to buy some new shoes but I'm looked forward to trying it out. I hated running at school but I hope I develop a love for it now.

shrimponastick Fri 26-Oct-12 21:27:02

I also joined a beginners running group. It was good as we all did warm ups, and varied tempos,.we got used to running laps of a field before progressing to longer runs.

Trainers, yes properly fitted running shoes will make a huge difference to your comfort and ability. There are often sales on in sweatshop.

Good luck, and enjoy.

You definitely would not be stupid to join! I joined a beginners' running group when I first started running. It was brilliant and very motivating. Hopefully you will find, like I did at my group, that the instructor will find ways of catering to everyone, regardless of their fitness level. At mine there were some quite fit people and some reeeally slow people who found it hard at first. Everyone was very supportive and the slower ones soon got a bit quicker. Well done you for being up for the challenge!
As far as shoes are concerned, you should really have ones meant for running, as they need to be able to take a fair old pounding. If yours are ancient or not for running then they may not be supportive enough. A good sports bra is essential too, particularly for those of large norkage! Good luck!

How about intervals over 2 miles? Eg run 50 paces and walk 10? I'm sure they'll have more ideas and you'll soon find yourself able to run 2 miles.

I'm not very good on shoes so I'll leave that for someone more experienced to advise on <cop-out emoticon>!

kellykettle Fri 26-Oct-12 07:50:19

So I haven't exercised for well over two years now - due to pregnancy and then 12 lazy months of mat leave. I'm back in the office and need to do something, I miss moving!

I have found a running club locally which is for women only and has a beginners group that I can join. They "only" run 2 miles. The idea of that kills me but I'm up for the challenge.

I will ask what they do for newbies but if it is just having a go at 2 miles would I be stupid to join?

Second question, how much do shoes matter? Can I just go in any pair of trainers for now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now