The 13/13/13 challenge

(3 Posts)
Durab Sun 21-Oct-12 11:15:51

A friend and I ran (without stopping!!) the London Marathon this year. We (mostly) enjoyed the training and loved the day, but TBH it look me far longer than I expected to recover, both mentally and physically and it's only in the last month or so that I've got properly back into my running.

My friend has suggested, as we both need a new challenge, that we embrace unlucky 13 next year and aim to do 13 half-marathons (13.1 miles) in the 12 months.

I am liking the idea, but a little concerned that it might turn out to be expensive as finding local races all year round could be challenging. Also that we'll always be either tapering for or recovering from a race?

What do more experienced runners think?

Durab Sun 21-Oct-12 15:32:02

Ok, obviously runners were out running this morning, I went at 7am grin

mollycuddles Sun 21-Oct-12 17:35:22

Hi.
I'm not an expert but this is my 2p. I've not yet done a marathon but have done a half and a 16mile race. My plan for 2013 is two marathons about 6-8 halfs. I think a half every 4 weeks is doable if you can find them. The problem is many races are between march and November which could be a complication. You don't need to taper as much for a half anyway - just have a lighter week before and about 3 days off will be plenty. Where are you?
Sounds a great plan
Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now