Anyone tried hula hooping? For the belly?

(15 Posts)

Moving - glad you are enjoying pole. Pole is brilliant for the abs and certainly makes them a lot stronger. When you get more advanced a lot of the moves depend on strength in your abs....sometimes it's the only thing that keeps you off the ground smile

Movingforward123 Fri 19-Oct-12 19:02:07

he he so do i so if its working for you it should work for me grin

LonelyCloud Fri 19-Oct-12 18:26:29

I can feel the muscles being used after a few minutes. But I have feeble muscles.

Movingforward123 Fri 19-Oct-12 15:01:39

Yay I got one today, it's not weighted and is a big kids one! I can do it now wink not had a proper go yet, but don't think I will be able to keep it up for 30 mins confused practise makes perfect grin

I have a weighted one but I'm not sure of the exact weight sorry, the weighted ones are easy to keep going and personally I think you have to go for quite a while (half hour) for you to even feel the muscles being used.

The plank seems to work more than anything else I've tried for stomach/waist.
Google the plank position and give it a try.

CointreauVersial Fri 19-Oct-12 00:38:29

Too heavy! 1.5kg according to the box.

Movingforward123 Thu 18-Oct-12 20:52:50

coin - how heavy was yours? I thought I would get one that is not weighted first to practise then if i can do it get a weighted one.

betty - actually I took the pole back to the shop yesterday, as it wasnt very good. But I am attending pole fitness classes which I love, and will get a xpole when I have enough money. smile

but I wanted to do this as well as polefit as I heard it is as good or better then sit ups and crunches, and my belly is my main problem area.

What happened to your pole??

CointreauVersial Wed 17-Oct-12 23:14:28

You need a weighted one - you'll have no chance getting going with a flimsy kid's one.

I got into it when I went on a Champneys break - they did a hula hooping exercise class. Brilliant fun, lots of fun routines.

I bought a hoop when I got home, but mine is a bit too heavy, and really hurts after a few minutes.

LonelyCloud Wed 17-Oct-12 23:10:48

At the minute not often enough! Usually every other day - probably another reason why I'm not noticing much difference.

Good luck with the bigger hoop smile

Movingforward123 Mon 15-Oct-12 14:54:58

So how often do you do it at the moment? Well done for getting it upto 5 mins!

I'm going to get a bigger hoop in a bit smile

LonelyCloud Mon 15-Oct-12 14:43:53

I've got a DVD too. I figured classes would be too embarrassing until I can keep it going for a decent length of time. It's taken plenty of practice to get up to 5 minutes.

It does work my tummy muscles, but I haven't noticed a massive difference to my figure yet (probably because I've got a fair bit of weight to lose).

Movingforward123 Mon 15-Oct-12 11:12:56

grin I can't get past 3 seconds and u used to be really good confused

Well maybe for now I will buy a larger hoop without weights as I don't want to spend money if I can't do it!

Do you go to classes or anything? I have a DVD but its not helping grin

Have you noticed any difference from doing it?

LonelyCloud Mon 15-Oct-12 11:05:28

The larger diameter hula hoops are easier - they don't go round as fast, so it's easier to learn how to do it and keep the hoop moving.

I think it's the larger diameter rather than the weight which makes it easier.

But I still find it very difficult. I can't get past 5 minutes without losing control of the hoop.

Movingforward123 Mon 15-Oct-12 10:58:14

A fitness trainer told me if I did this for 10 mins everyday then I would notice a massive difference on my belly and hips!

I've just got dds tiny little hoop out and I can't do it! I was a pro when I was a kid and could have literally done it for an hour!

I have heard of weighted hoops for adults, are they easier??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now