Shins - ouch :(

(13 Posts)
Wolfiefan Sun 14-Oct-12 22:40:15

Be careful. I've knackered my back and haven't been able to run for months. <very sad and regretful face emoticon>

MrsWolowitz Sun 14-Oct-12 22:07:55

No running for 2 weeks? <weeps>

I've worked so hard to get to where I am and I have a race 2 weeks today! sad

I suppose I don't have any choice.

If I start swimming will that mean that I'll be able to pick running up where I left off IYKWIM by keeping my fitness up with swimming? Thats probably a stupid question, I apologise! <bit fick>

Wolfiefan Sun 14-Oct-12 22:02:29

X post here too!!

Wolfiefan Sun 14-Oct-12 22:02:03

Rest for at least 2 weeks. Ice and elevate. Get back to it slowly. Always rest between run days.
NHS website good.

Otherworld Sun 14-Oct-12 22:00:48

x post Wolfie grin

Sorry x post with your last- definitely shin splints, stop running now. Ice might help. And make sure you don't run in knackered trainers when they are better.

Otherworld Sun 14-Oct-12 21:59:04

Shin splints?

Wolfiefan Sun 14-Oct-12 21:59:01

Shin splints?

Are there lumps? If so, possibly shin splints and I'm afraid the only cute is rest- swap to swimming and walking. If you push on they get worse- I have a permanent bump. Sorry!

MrsWolowitz Sun 14-Oct-12 21:57:26

Sorry, last drip feed from me.

They are also really sore if I run my hand firmly down my shin, almost like they are bruised sad

MrsWolowitz Sun 14-Oct-12 21:56:00

I should also add that I'm doing a 5 minute warm up and cool down and stretch after running.

Any special 'shin stretches' out there that I don't know about or anything? confused

MrsWolowitz Sun 14-Oct-12 21:55:01

My shins are hurting.

I've gone from couch to 5 miles about 4 times a week. I started running about 4/5 months ago.

Does it sound like I'm doing too much? I don't want to cut down my miles, actually the opposite, I want to keep increasing them.

I have had my gait measured and have good trainers. I'm also drinking protein to aid recovery.

What else can I do, i really don't want to ease off.

WWYD?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now