Shins - ouch :(

(13 Posts)
MrsWolowitz Sun 14-Oct-12 21:55:01

My shins are hurting.

I've gone from couch to 5 miles about 4 times a week. I started running about 4/5 months ago.

Does it sound like I'm doing too much? I don't want to cut down my miles, actually the opposite, I want to keep increasing them.

I have had my gait measured and have good trainers. I'm also drinking protein to aid recovery.

What else can I do, i really don't want to ease off.

WWYD?

MrsWolowitz Sun 14-Oct-12 21:56:00

I should also add that I'm doing a 5 minute warm up and cool down and stretch after running.

Any special 'shin stretches' out there that I don't know about or anything? confused

MrsWolowitz Sun 14-Oct-12 21:57:26

Sorry, last drip feed from me.

They are also really sore if I run my hand firmly down my shin, almost like they are bruised sad

Are there lumps? If so, possibly shin splints and I'm afraid the only cute is rest- swap to swimming and walking. If you push on they get worse- I have a permanent bump. Sorry!

Wolfiefan Sun 14-Oct-12 21:59:01

Shin splints?

Otherworld Sun 14-Oct-12 21:59:04

Shin splints?

Sorry x post with your last- definitely shin splints, stop running now. Ice might help. And make sure you don't run in knackered trainers when they are better.

Otherworld Sun 14-Oct-12 22:00:48

x post Wolfie grin

Wolfiefan Sun 14-Oct-12 22:02:03

Rest for at least 2 weeks. Ice and elevate. Get back to it slowly. Always rest between run days.
NHS website good.

Wolfiefan Sun 14-Oct-12 22:02:29

X post here too!!

MrsWolowitz Sun 14-Oct-12 22:07:55

No running for 2 weeks? <weeps>

I've worked so hard to get to where I am and I have a race 2 weeks today! sad

I suppose I don't have any choice.

If I start swimming will that mean that I'll be able to pick running up where I left off IYKWIM by keeping my fitness up with swimming? Thats probably a stupid question, I apologise! <bit fick>

Wolfiefan Sun 14-Oct-12 22:40:15

Be careful. I've knackered my back and haven't been able to run for months. <very sad and regretful face emoticon>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now