running diet

(7 Posts)
bohemimum Thu 11-Oct-12 13:38:58

I'm fit and training for a half marathon. However more training = hungry lady! Need to lose a stone but train at the same time. I'm running 4 times a week and doing one hour cycling too. What diet plans has anyone followed/ tips, etc.

manyhands Thu 11-Oct-12 18:16:53

Lots of protein but generally eating what I want but cutting down on the treats.

Urbanvoltaire Thu 11-Oct-12 20:32:03

I run 3-4 times a week & my eating habits are like so;

Breakfast - porridge with skimmed milk, teaspoon of honey or a chopped banana
Lunch - soup & roll at work
Dinner - meat & veg, not too big a plate though

Oatcakes & cheese, an apple in between meals, water, black tea.

Hth, I've lost a stone (10 down to 9 stone) since eating this lot & running. That's in the space of 2 months. I'm at my ideal weight now.

bohemimum Thu 11-Oct-12 22:08:04

I know it's not rocket science but good to know you both doing the obvious and what i should be doing too! Less cake and more fruit I guess, hey ho...
oh and well done Urbanvoltaire!

MordionAgenos Sat 13-Oct-12 01:36:27

When I was doing half marathon training I carried on eating exactly the same as I normally do (im a vegan, and I eat a lot of toast) with the exception that I replaced marmite toast for lunch with peanut butter toast - because of the protein. I probably ate more bananas too - but I always do eat quite a lot of bananas. I obviously needed the extra protein. Since doing my last half and cutting down on my mileage - I'm running about 80-100K a month now, and rarely more than 5-6k on any single run (although I do occasionally run twice in a day)- I don't have the peanut butter any more, in fact the thought of it revolts me. I have no doubt though that if I upped my mileage again to half training levels (180-200 K a month) I'd want to eat it again.

I think the motto is, listen to your body. I also think it would be very difficult to lose weight while training for a half.

MummysHappyPills Sat 13-Oct-12 01:42:09

I would advise signing up to my fitness pal or similar. That way you can accurately log the calories you are burning during training, and still keep a small deficit to mean you lose weight. The iphone app is free in app store. smile

Currently I am doing weightwatchers, and can earn lots of extra points running. But that requires a subscription fee. sad

Basically stick to lots of veggies and fruit, wholegrain carbs and protein, whilst monitoring calories and you will be fine smile

MummysHappyPills Sat 13-Oct-12 01:44:06

Oh and btw there are some great mfp support threads on here. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now