New to running

(9 Posts)
WheelieBinRebel Fri 12-Oct-12 21:26:03

I feel like this too. I used to run years ago and have started again but having to follow a walk/run 5k programme as I am so unfit. I go to my local park if I run during the day (it's massive and I only ever see dog walkers or people pushing prams) and only run along the main roads at night but still feel extremely self-conscious.

Stick with it, your confidence will get better the fitter you get (well that's what I keep telling myself!!).

HalleLouja Tue 09-Oct-12 11:32:58

I have just started couch to 5k too! I had no idea there was a specific thread. I have just posted a long thread asking for advice and support! I will have to go looking for the thread instead...

I felt the same way as you kid (that sounds a bit patronising!) I have a fair sized garden and initially (yes, I know this is ridiculous) ran repeatedly round the garden and even then felt selfconscious that the neighbours might be looking.

But this morning I took the plunge and ran on the streets and paths near me. Yes, there are people out to see me - even had to pass a couple of good runners blush but 2 things helped me:

a) the knowledge that, poor as I may be, at least I am out there trying to run and they aren't (apart from the other 2 runners). If you are staggering along, barely able to move, they aren't to know you haven't just run 10 miles, instead of being 10 yards from the start of your run!

b) I use an MP3 player. That cuts me off from the outside world as well as provides me with music to motivate me. I even ran past some builders. They might have cat-called, I don't know, because I wouldn't have heard them if they had.

I hope you find somewhere to run safely. If you don't feel safe in side streets, I take it you are running in the dark? Won't that help give you some cover from prying eyes?

HalleLouja Tue 09-Oct-12 07:51:57

Come and join us on the couch to 5k thread. I used to care and now I think at least i am bothering to get off my arse.

MrsWolowitz Tue 09-Oct-12 06:56:30

Welcome to running. You'll not look back.

I was a total beginner only about 4 months ago (couldn't run 10 minutes) and I'm now running about 8k.

I'd recommend booking a race (take a look a runners world website, all local races are listed) to keep you motivated. I booked a 5k when I first started and had about 3 months to train. I'm now booked for a 5 mile at the end of this month.

Really don't worry about being looked at. No-one will notice. Hope it goes well and the main thing is to be safe. smile

kid Tue 09-Oct-12 06:47:32

I've downloaded c25k and am keen to try it as a few non runner friends have used it and can now run non stop for over 30minutes.
I live in a busy city so I guess there are going to be people about wherever I choose to go.
I think I'll spend the next few days looking for other joggers. I bet there are loads but I've never noticed them before.

I guess running along the side streets might help me know the area better. I've lived here for neatly 10years but still don't know the area that well.

Thanks for your support.

CointreauVersial Mon 08-Oct-12 23:58:11

I run around the village - there are various circuits/paths/estates that I link together, depending on how far I want to run.

I get up at 6.30am and run before DH goes to work, then it's over for the day. This means that in the winter I have to stay on the main road, as it's well-lit. In the summer I use more trails/footpaths.

Nobody will look at you! Honestly, there are joggers everywhere, no-one will be interested. I was worried about this at first, but I just thought "sod them" and got out there. No excuses!

Have you heard of Couch to 5k? If not, google it; it's a great easy introduction to running - you start off running for a minute at a time, then after nine weeks you build to 30 minutes nonstop. It worked a treat for a complete novice like me, and three years on, I'm still running two or three times a week, and loving it.

I got masses of support on MN running threads too. Seriously motivating.

notsohot Mon 08-Oct-12 23:49:15

I live in the country so I run out of the village and then on trails and bridleways.

Probably not the answer you were looking for. Having said that I am always faster running through the village or when I have done town runs away from home. If no one is looking I'm more likely to walk/ slow down wink

There comes a point when you just have to forget about everyone else and just get on with it. But stay safe. smile

kid Mon 08-Oct-12 22:53:14

When you first started running, where did you do it?
I keep wanting to start running but the local park is really small so I don't want to be running around it about 50 times, I'm a bit embarassed to run on the main roads as people will see me and I'm too scared to run on side streets as it would be too deserted.

I guess I am just so full of excuses not to start running so I wondered how others felt and how they overcome this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now