Does anyone's dc have the 12 inch wheel Specialized Hotrock?

(25 Posts)
Wallace Fri 05-Oct-12 13:26:30

Looking to get it for ds3 for his 2nd birthday as I have heard it is one of the smallest 12inch bikes around and he isn't the biggest lad in the world!

What age/size were your kids riding it? Is it quite light?

Thanks

Wallace Fri 05-Oct-12 18:54:41

bump

Wallace Fri 05-Oct-12 19:24:45

Should that title be does or do?

poachedeggs Fri 05-Oct-12 19:28:00

Haha, I'd love to see him in action! I think I'm right in saying we'll be seeing your DS2 tomorrow? DS very excited!

poachedeggs Fri 05-Oct-12 19:28:47

(I think you know who I am under this username? !)

vnmum Fri 05-Oct-12 19:33:01

Pity it's for a DS, I have a pink one that my DD has out grown. It is alot lighter than the bikes you would get from halfords, argos etc. It has a front brake on handles but also a back pedal brake which is really easy for them to get the hang of, they just pedal backwards and the brake is applied.

My DD was 3 when we got it for her and she has just moved onto her brothers hotrock 16". She is 4.10 and i would say she has been too big for it for a few months but she is quite tall for her age, 110cm.

We didn't get a 12" for DS, he went straight onto the 16" when he was 4, although he is tall too.

One advantage with the lightness of it is that we were able to remove the pedals and DD could use it as a run bike then she went straight onto no stabilisers (she had a proper run bike before the hotrock though)

Wallace Fri 05-Oct-12 19:49:47

poachedeggs - just seen your ds on the list! ds2 is a bit unsure about doing it because he knows he won't win...hmm I won't be taking ds3's pedal bike tomorrow because it is too much for me having to be there to start him off and catch him! I will put a vid on fb soon smile

That is good to hear it is light. He is riding an ancient thing at the moment and it is so heavy I have to push him up slight inclines hills. Shame yours is pink, with 2 big brothers I don't think he could get away with it!

Wallace Fri 05-Oct-12 20:23:58

vnmun - if you could I would be very grateful if you could put the seat right down and measure the height from ground to top of seat...smile

vnmum Fri 05-Oct-12 20:35:18

No probs smile Max height is 50cm/19 3/4", 40cm from top of seat to pedal at pedals lowest point, seat at lowest point is 40cm. Handle bars can also be raised, and also moved backwards or forwards. HTH

DH is a bike geek and won't buy anything other than specialized for the DC because of the lightness and handling

Wallace Fri 05-Oct-12 20:43:19

Thanks. Will measure ds and/or his current bike in the morning smile

Ds1 had one, fantastic, light bike. We got it for his 4th birthday (he is pretty small for his age) and he rode it immediately without stabilisers (balance bike previously). The back pedal brake makes it very easy for them to get the hang of pedalling, lots of kids pedal halfway round and stop IYSWIM. That can't happen with the Specialized.

Wallace Sat 06-Oct-12 16:35:57

That is good about the pedalling because his current bike is like that too and I really think it helps him pedal.

Ds is 83cm tall. His current bike is 43 cm from ground to top of saddle and 34ish from pedal at lowest point to saddle and he manages on that except starting and stopping because he obviously can't touch the ground! It sounds like the Hotrock is a wee bit smaller so that is good smile

Wallace Sun 07-Oct-12 08:21:41

How well does the back pedal brake work btw? I have visions of ds3 skidding to a stop!

My other kids were big enough by the time they could ride a bike without stabilisers to at least get their toes to the ground to use their shoes as brakes!

vnmum Sun 07-Oct-12 12:31:59

If you slam your feet back hard then it will stop harshly. We taught ours to press back gently until they stopped

Ds1 figured out the correct pressure pretty quickly by himself.

Wallace Sun 07-Oct-12 20:47:04

Thanks, it will be a while any way until I'm not running beside him ready to grab!

Wallace Mon 08-Oct-12 15:56:55

Have asked the bike shop to get one in so we will be able to try before we buy it.

Was funny trying to explain that we want a proper bike for a not quite 2 year old, not a balance bike!

bacon Mon 08-Oct-12 17:40:26

I had a Dawes Blowfish for DS2 bithday but he was 3 and only now is using it. Very light weight and looks cool - think about £120.

Wallace Mon 08-Oct-12 20:42:21

Thanks, I heard lots of good things about Dawes when looking for a bike for my older ds.

Wallace Tue 09-Oct-12 15:51:05

So glad he is getting a new one - pedal just fell off his old one!

Wallace Tue 09-Oct-12 19:58:43

Anyway, thanks all for the advice. My dh was getting fed up with my waffling indecision so it was great to chat here.

Even though looking back over the thread it is mostly me talking to myself blush

Don't worry, I'll let you know how he gets on when we go to the bike shop to try him on one grin

Wallace Sun 14-Oct-12 20:47:44

The bike shop got one in and he tried it with the seatpost cut down and it seems to be the perfect size grin

I think he might even almost manage to get a foot down on the ground. Shame his birthday isn't til November!

Wallace Tue 20-Nov-12 17:37:30

If anyone is interested ds3 got the bike for his birthday. It took him 10 minutes or so to get the hang of pedalling it (his previous bike was fixed wheel)

He adores it and two days later he is already trying to stand up to pedal and standing up to try to "jump" down kerbs!

He can't quite touch the ground enough to balance when he stops so I'm still running along behind him. It won't be long though and meanwhile I'm sure the exercise will do me good...

rubyrubyruby Wed 21-Nov-12 22:53:16

I'm interested smile

Wallace Thu 22-Nov-12 07:23:21

Aw thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now