London marathon - anyone else got a place?

(8 Posts)
anchovies Mon 01-Oct-12 11:52:02

I've entered the ballot for 5 years on the trot and this year got lucky! Have been a casual runner for a while, have done 10ks and one half marathon in the past but am going to need to seriously shape up for this - 3 stone to lose and a hell of a lot of running to do before April!

Anyone else got a place?

feetheart Fri 05-Oct-12 02:53:41

Not London but I've just got a place to run in the Brighton Marathon the week before. Have only been running (on and off!) for about 3 years and have done a few 5ks and a 10k. Did the Silverstone half marathon this year and seem to remember thinking as I crossed the finish line 'bloody hell, that's only half way in a marathon, I think this is far enough for me!' No idea what possessed me and I was rather shocked when the Winston's Wish lady rang me today to tell me I was in!

If you fancy a virtual training buddy I could do with all the support I can get smile

Loueytb3 Mon 15-Oct-12 10:58:20

Me!! I've got a charity place, applied last week and got a very quick response. I can't run at the moment as I've injured my achilles and I'm going stir crazy. Hopefully a few more weeks and I can get back into it.

I'm excited and terrified about the training. And about the £1500 I need to raise.

welshweasel Mon 15-Oct-12 22:05:32

Yes I got a place in the ballot, rather unexpectedly! Only took up running a few months ago but ran my first half marathon yesterday which was bloody hard work...and I am in a ridiculous amount of pain today. The thought of doing that twice fills me with fear!

Clure Thu 18-Oct-12 19:25:34

welshweasel well done to you!
I have got a place in the Brighton Marathon. Not run a marathon before although have been running seriously for about 7 years. I've done a few half marathons and my long training run am up to 23k.
What training plans are any of you following? I was thinking of trying (on advice of some friends who have used it) "Run Less Run Faster" which used 3 training runs a week plus doing other strength type/spin classes.

Loueytb3 Thu 18-Oct-12 21:27:03

None at the moment as I'm not supposed to be running until my achilles is sorted. I caved and did 5k today though. Having severe withdrawal symptoms.

I seriously need to read up on training plans. I am thinking of doing 3 runs a week and then one long one at the weekend, building up the miles as the weeks go by. Am about to sign up for a half marathon in March.

Loueytb3 Thu 18-Oct-12 21:28:16

Clure - am envy at you already doing a 23k run!

Clure Thu 18-Oct-12 22:30:36

loueytb Feel sympathy for your injury, I did my back last year and could not put one foot in front of the other and it was the longest I'd gone (3 weeks) without a run, its hell to stop isn't it once you have the running bug?! Wise to take it slowly till your achilles is better though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now