B'twin bikes - cheap, but are they any good?

(7 Posts)
PutIcecubesDownTheVestOfFear Tue 21-Aug-12 11:13:45

I want to get a bike, haven't had one for years, and am thinking I need a hybrid as I'll be doing a bit of road and occasional woodland path/trails type cycling, nothing really rough.

I don't want to spend huge amounts, preferably less than £200 in case I go off the idea, but don't know whether that's realistic. I tried out some B'twin bikes for around £150-£180 at the weekend and they seemed nice - but would it be better to invest in something more expensive?

christinarossetti Sun 03-Mar-13 21:57:47

Bumping this zombie thread as I'd like opinions on their children's bikes too.

dobby2001 Wed 06-Mar-13 12:00:49

They are not bad for a starter bike. If you google the specific one you are looking at, you might find reviews. The road bikes get a decent write up whenever they come out.

I would say that if you get into cycling on a frequent basis then you may be looking to upgrade, but you can upgrade just specifric parts which is of course a lot cheaper than a whole new bike smile

dobby2001 Wed 06-Mar-13 12:03:41

Kids bikes I think are quite heavy anf clunky to be honest. If you cant run to an islabike, then look out for Frog bikes, which are new this spring. They look lovely smile http://www.frogbikes.com/how-to-buy-a-frog-bike.aspx

christinarossetti Wed 06-Mar-13 12:36:42

Thanks - the Frog ones do look lovely and are a bit cheaper than Islabikes.

Dd has an Isla at the moment and she's outgrown it and ds is ready for it and I am inclined to think that a cheap one is going to be too much of a come down after such a good ride on an Islabike.

Frog bikes now a definitely option!

DD1 has a b'twin bike in part because it was one of the few bikes that fit her body. She was able to reach the handlebars properly on it, which she struggled with on others.

Last week I bought my perfect bikegrin

I wanted a bike with a low step-through design so I can just hop on it without having to change into exercise clothes. I needed a bike with plenty of gears to cope with gentle hills. (I am preparing to do a 25 mile charity bike ride in July (mostly on road but some unsurfaced country lanes)). And money is tight at present.

I found just the right one in Halfords last week for £200. I've been out on it every day so far - and it is LOVELY! It even has full mudguards and chain guard, and I've added a basket grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now