Couch to 5k

(555 Posts)
HalleLouja Sat 18-Aug-12 22:17:45

Does anyone want to join me. Its my third attempt started today.

The first time I got pregnant mid way through. Second time was the start of the year and it was too snowy and cold and I was ill.

So psyched myself up again.

I need some company.

Thistledew Sat 05-Jan-13 16:04:50

I meant to say it is really inspirational to see what you have all achieved. Well done to everyone who has completed the program. You are all amazing.

EauRouge Sat 05-Jan-13 16:32:44

There are hints on the NHS podcasts about technique but one of the podcasts says to strike the ground with your heel first- this is wrong and can cause injuries, I don't know why they haven't changed it. You should be hitting the ground with your mid-foot.

I am seriously impressed at cycling 100+ miles a week! You must be much fitter than me. Cycling and running is fine. You are meant to have a day off in between runs but it's OK to do other exercise, you just need to give your legs a break from running.

Thistledew Sat 05-Jan-13 17:18:15

Cycling is easy. I can literally spend all day on the bike and never feel as uncomfortable as I do trying to run for one minute. I am slightly hyper-flexible in my joints, and have had problems with my knees before, so am hoping that running is not going to cause me any issues.

knackeredoutmum Sun 13-Jan-13 19:14:01

so, how many posters were actually unfit, maybe overweight at least a little, total couch potatoes (ie no exercise in lifestyle) before starting c25k?

I would really like to start maybe February, but I imagine a certain level of exercise or fitness is required (which I havent got!!) before starting to get anywhere with this program?

EauRouge Mon 14-Jan-13 08:14:02

I wasn't overweight (thank you, breastfeeding!) despite spending the last 5 years sitting around eating biscuits but I did get out of puff just running up the stairs. I'm on week 7 now, or I would be if I was too scared of sliding over on the snow and breaking an ankle.

There's no level of fitness required at all. If you've got a very high BMI it might be worth chatting to a GP first but if you're just a little overweight then you probably don't need to worry.

I would read up on some tips for new runners, there are some common mistakes that are made in the early days (yes, I did most of them). The Runners' World website is good, or The Running Bug.

You will also need a good sports bra- shock absorbers are good- and a decent pair of running shoes. Don't wait until you are a 'proper' runner, if you don't have any good running shoes then get some before you start. Go somewhere where they know what they are talking about. Stuff like fancy lycra running gear can wait though.

MuchBrighterNow Mon 14-Jan-13 08:28:24

hello everyone... just found this thread.

I have just finished week 3 of NHS couch to 5k. I am happy that I am managing to keep it up inspite of the awful music but could do with some company/ encouragement to help me get my ass out the door....... especially when it is so cold out there !

It's incredibly windy where I live and the first half of the run is uphill ... The good bit is that on the way back down I feel like i am flying smile

It's definitely getting easier and each time I'm done I feel really good about myself.

EauRouge Mon 14-Jan-13 08:50:14

I've heard the music is bad grin I use the rundouble app so I can listen to my own music.

I know what you mean about the wind, I hate it when it's windy and the first part of my run is also uphill. There was one run in week 4 or 5 that I had to end early because the wind was so strong and right in my face that I couldn't breath.

It really does get easier, doesn't it? It's a very clever programme. I never thought I'd be able to run a couple of miles but I've done it twice now.

I'm not running today and getting itchy feet already- trying to restrain myself because I just know I will get injured. I'm sure I'll get plenty of exercise once the DDs are bundled up and we get the sledge down from the garage loft!

knackeredoutmum Mon 14-Jan-13 20:12:43

rouge, can you tell me your top tips please? I have checked out runners world and couldnt find a relevant section

EauRouge Mon 14-Jan-13 20:35:09

Here, here and here.

Happy running smile

knackeredoutmum Wed 16-Jan-13 08:58:18

ahh thank you for doing that smilesmile

knackeredoutmum Thu 17-Jan-13 18:46:12

How fascinating, I did my first day today and uploaded the map to the Run Double website, absolutely fab and a great incentive.

But just before I went I had time to read one of the tips you linked to, placing the mid foot down first.

Now when I started I just did whatever I could to keep going, and my feet were making an annoying slapping noisy noise and I felt like I was having to flex my ankles. On run interval 6 out of 8 I found I could land on the ball of my foot and it made me a bit bouncier.

But get this, when I checked my stats on the Run Double it showed approx 130m for all the heel first 90second runs and 150 m for all the ball of foot first runs - fancy that!!!

5madthings Fri 18-Jan-13 18:57:48

Marking place, I have just signed up for the bupa 10k run on may for the wooly hugs fund raising.

So am going to start with 5k training and build up.

Shall read thread for tips and suggested as aps etc.

EauRouge Fri 18-Jan-13 19:20:03

Hello 5madthings <waves> I was thinking of signing up for a 10k in June, will have to wait and see how my surgery goes though. I found some good 10k training plans on The Running Bug. I think there's a couch to 10k plan somewhere as well.

5madthings Fri 18-Jan-13 22:07:39

Oh thank you!

I have my confirmation of place email through from bupa so its really happening, I am quite excited if a bit nervous...and would quite like foot of snow we currently have to melt!

EauRouge Sat 19-Jan-13 10:13:23

I'm too chicken to run in this weather, my usual route is quite potholey and I don't fancy not being able to see where the lumps and bumps are. I thought about ordering some yaxtraks but by the time they arrive it will be time for my surgery so no point this year. Go away, snow!!

EauRouge Mon 21-Jan-13 09:31:14

Well, DH got me some wintertrax from Brantano and so this morning I went and did W7R2. Running in the snow was actually a lot of fun. I mostly stuck to the middle of the road so I knew I wouldn't disappear into a ditch.

If you're only going a couple of miles then grips on normal running shoes worked pretty well but if I was going any further in the snow then I think I'd get myself some of those sealskins socks because my shoes were getting a bit soggy towards the end.

I'm really glad I went now, although DH had to practically push me out of the door saying 'just try it!!' because I almost chickened out. grin

daisygatsby Wed 23-Jan-13 16:20:12

eau i have just started couch 2 10k. i started at week 5, even though i havent done couch to 5k, because i do go to gym and have an ok level of fitness.

have been running on treadmill this week due to bad weather (wuss) so am dying to get back outside. i find running on the treadmill more difficult.

anyone else suffer from shin splints?

Mosschops30 Wed 23-Jan-13 23:36:35

Hi, thought I'd join in. This is my third attempt at ct5k. Only got as far as week 3 before.

Have just completed wk5 run 2 and am now terrified of run 3. Is it really 20mins non stop hmm?

Great thread, you're all doing so well and inspiring me

EauRouge Thu 24-Jan-13 09:09:50

Don't let the 20 mins put you off. Physically you can do it, it's all psychological from now on. If you keep a steady pace then it'll be fine, it's all in the mind. I had a freak out at around 5-10 mins but the second half was way easier. You can do it, just believe you can! It's such a confidence booster when it's done, you can really see the finish line in sight.

I've just finished week 7, am gutted that I won't be able to finish before my surgery sad but hopefully I won't be out for very long. I can do 2 runs of week 8 before I have to hang up my running shoes for a bit. I shall probably spend my rest period making lists of races I want to enter and coming up with improbable training plans that I won't have time to do grin

Mosschops30 Thu 24-Jan-13 15:50:55

Thanks smile

I'm going to tackle it on Saturday morning and if I succeed I will treat myself to a Chinese takeaway and wine on Saturday evening

Mosschops30 Sat 26-Jan-13 19:03:11

Well I did it grin so pleased with myself. Wasn't that bad and I made it easier by listening to my own music rather than the dreadful stuff on there for 20 mins

MirandaWest Sat 26-Jan-13 19:08:51

I haven't posted for absolutely ages and have fallen off the wagon terribly blush. Have run twice this year although one was on Friday. Only did 4.25k although didn't totally feel I was going to die. Am intending to go again on Monday morning. Do have aim of doing a 10k in August. Plus have a bf I got into running who keeps running which is good for me smile

EauRouge Sat 26-Jan-13 20:49:57

Mosschops Well done smile Brilliant feeling, isn't it? I've never even heard the NHS podcasts, I've always used Rundouble, but I've heard the NHS music is terrible.

Miranda What a coincidence, I did 4.25k this morning! It's my last run before my surgery, I'm really going to miss it. Hope I won't be out for too long. Where's the 10k you want to do? I've seen a 10k in June that I'd love to do if I recover from my surgery in time- it's around Whipsnade zoo! How fun would that be grin

Mosschops30 Sat 26-Jan-13 20:57:34

Must find out about run double

EauRouge Sat 26-Jan-13 21:31:31

It's on android, I think it's on iphone too. You have to pay for the full C25K program, I think it's only about a quid though. The first 2 weeks are free but you're already past that. It's good for keeping track of your pace etc as well. But the best part for me is being able to listen to my own music and still getting the prompts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now