Couch to 5k

(555 Posts)
HalleLouja Sat 18-Aug-12 22:17:45

Does anyone want to join me. Its my third attempt started today.

The first time I got pregnant mid way through. Second time was the start of the year and it was too snowy and cold and I was ill.

So psyched myself up again.

I need some company.

BedGirl Thu 23-Aug-12 17:18:46

I didn't get out today because I feel like my legs are about to drop off grin I could hardly chase after dd in the park they are so sore.

Hopefully i'll get time to go out on saturday.

Lucky I have an app called Run Double. Its good because you can play your own music and it just speaks over it telling you when to run and when to walk. It even told me when I was halfway which was good because it meant I knew when to turn round and head for home.

countingdown Thu 23-Aug-12 19:13:09

Lucky I feel a bit the same, lost lots of weight after my second baby, but it has somehow sneaked back on and I am the heaviest I have ever been. Sort yourself out with a reallly great playlist to listen to whilst you are running - I've found that helps.

I went out tonight, and am finding it a little easier every time I run.

BedGirl do you know of any 5km runs coming up in the Glasgow area?

HalleLouja Thu 23-Aug-12 21:24:29

Week 1 complete [pats herself on back]. Can't wait til week 2 now. Saddo that I am.

Runkeeper app is ace but I am a numbers geek so it appeals to that side of me and tracks my runs.

gastonthebabyshusher Thu 23-Aug-12 21:55:10

I hadn't heard about this until I stumbled across it on this thread earlier tonight.

I am 4 stone overweight and am really interested but how do I get started? Do I need to plot a route to start with and if so how far?

I walk 1 mile to and from work 5 days a week. Can I just use my journey home? (taking a longer route in later weeks).

Any tips would be greatly received, like how to strap down the boobies! (H cup)

HalleLouja Thu 23-Aug-12 22:20:35

I got a shock absorber bra which does the trick. You could do it on way home. My app tells me how far I have gone. I seem to do just over 2 miles per session. You can see how far you go on one run and play it from there.

HalleLouja Thu 23-Aug-12 22:21:28

I am gg / h cup btw. So not tiny on top.

Gaston - I'm a 36j/k so am wearing 2 normal underwire bras - they are much better than a sports bra for me right now, I feel really strapped down.

Also, if you're anything like me at 4 stone overweight then you're going to be going really slowly so mass boobage wandering/bouncing won't happen so much grin

Download the app if you have a smart phone/iPhone - it's soooooooo easy.

HalleLouja Fri 24-Aug-12 19:43:11

I am going to start week 2 tomorrow. Am looking forwards to it.

How are the rest of you?

hlipop Fri 24-Aug-12 19:53:43

oooh i'm starting this tomorrow night (oh is at work tonight and need to stay in with kids) am i too late??

HalleLouja Fri 24-Aug-12 20:20:31

hlipop you are not too late. Hop on board.

Have you ever run before?

hlipop Fri 24-Aug-12 21:41:03

does running after my 3.5yr old when she's on her scooter count?? really want to run and be able to run the breast cancer 5k fundraiser thing (cant think of actual name) hoping will fit it in after work / when oh is at home aswell

HalleLouja Sat 25-Aug-12 13:15:37

I think that counts. I have done my first run of week 2 and struggled with the last 2 runs but did it.

tiredemma Sat 25-Aug-12 13:21:32

I LOVE these threads.

Right- stick at it all of you. It gets easier- I promise.

I started Couch to 5k about 2.5 years ago- I vividly remember not being able to run for even 1 minute- really struggled.

Since then I have done lots of 5k's, a 10k, - I'm doing a 10 mile race tomorrow and the Great North Run Half marathon next month.

If I can do it then anyone can.

great for keeping fat off swell. I can eat whatever I want and have maintained a healthy weight (lost two stone since starting running)

It takes time and perseverance but its all worth it.

Good luck everyone!!

HalleLouja Sat 25-Aug-12 13:30:57

Wow tiredemma. That is impressive. Something to aim for. I would like to drop a dress size and its great as once you have bought the equipment its cheap to do.

How many times a week do you run?

tiredemma Sat 25-Aug-12 13:34:28

I run at least twice a week- but mainly three.

At the moment because I'm 'training' for half marathon I tend to run a 3 miler, a 5 miler and then a longer run at the weekend (between 7-9 miles).

HalleLouja Sat 25-Aug-12 13:45:47

Half marathon [faints].

luckywinner Sat 25-Aug-12 15:01:04

Oh dear, you all sound so much more determined than I feel. Have just eaten a krispy kreme while sat in incredibly slow traffic on way to Devon blush. Feel the need to spring out of car and run alongside to counteract bad bad doughnut habit.

That app sounds fab, and so does the nhs podcast. I will set it all up this week so when I get back from hols I will have no excuse.

luckywinner Sat 25-Aug-12 17:46:20

So I couldn't find the app run double, found run keeper though. I have started to listen to nhs podcast but the music is crazy! Is there a way you can play your own songs but get it to tell you intervals?

HalleLouja Sat 25-Aug-12 17:49:45

Have a look on your phone for couch to 5k aps. There are some that beep above your own music. On android you can get them for free. I have the Robert Ullrey podcasts I quite like the music though its not what I would usually listen to.

poachedeggs Sat 25-Aug-12 21:36:30

Week one run two done! My legs weren't up for it tonight but I'm not too downhearted because I know even back when I was running longer distances I had off days.

DH ran tonight too (he's started couch to 5k too) so we're both glowing and knackered. I think it'll be good because I'm a wee bit competitive smile

poachedeggs Sat 25-Aug-12 21:37:53

Run keeper does the job. IIRC the intervals are slightly different to the NHS version but otherwise it's fine I think smile

HalleLouja Sat 25-Aug-12 21:41:56

I didn't think runkeeper had the intervals on it. I use it to track runs.

poachedeggs Sun 26-Aug-12 05:54:51

I think you're right, I mustybe getting confused, sorry!

hlipop Sun 26-Aug-12 19:43:04

just done my first run tired but it feels good smile)

HalleLouja Sun 26-Aug-12 21:24:26

Well done you hlipop. It does make you feel better

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now