Quicker time or longer route?

(11 Posts)

Well done Pos1, sounds like you are progressing well smile

Indiegrrl, it is correct re fitness and interval training, it's not something you want to do until you have built a decent level of fitness.

With regard to calories on long runs and intervals, you will burn more calories during a long run than in an interval session, which by its nature will be much shorter. But intervals create an "afterburn" effect which keeps your metabolism higher for longer than steady state cardio. Which is best depends on your goals. If you want to run long races then of course you need to build your endurance, in which case long runs are necessary. The downside of longer time doing cardio though, is that you go beyond burning fat and start to burn muscle (compare a marathon runner's physique with that of a sprinter to see what I mean), intervals don't do that, they efficiently burn fat and also improve your speed and fitness quickly.

The answer re keeping weight maintained...ultimately calories are calories, consume them and burn them as you prefer, but the most efficient way to burn them, time wise, is to interval train and also ensure you do some resistance training to build muscle which burns more calories at rest ie. Increases your metabolismgrin

Pos1 Mon 17-Sep-12 20:13:27

Hi all

I was asked to come back here and update, so here goes-

I've increased my time and distance to 4 miles in about 50 mins which I am really pleased about. I've not lost any weight or changed shape, but to be honest that's due to chocolate and wine I am sure if I cut that down then it would make a difference.

Not had much luck with interval training either- mainly because I don't have the energy to go any faster, I can only just maintain my current speed. I will see if this changes over time

Thanks again!

indiegrrl Tue 14-Aug-12 18:42:45

PS OP, I'd say from a fitness point of view, try to build up distance. Lots of running clubs actually advise new runners to avoid interval training for the first year, until you've built up your muscles and your basic fitness, which long slow runs are really good for. I started intervals about 1 yr in, by which time I'd built up to 4-5 runs per week of between 35 mins and 75 mins, all at conversational pace. But horses for courses! I'd had a back injury so was being super cautious about avoiding further injury. And taking your point re weight, I'm finding the posts here really helpful.

indiegrrl Tue 14-Aug-12 18:39:04

Is that true about interval training? At Runners World forum, they say that long slow runs actually burn more calories than intervals (that's if you are running for over 1 hr) but that intervals speed metabolism, so that's why you should try and do both each week. I'd love to know as I don't want to lose any more weight, but I did reach my target weight through running and would like to know the science behind that and know how to keep eating loads of malt loaf without it appearing on my hips smile

olympicaddict Tue 14-Aug-12 10:30:41

I would definitely recommend interval training apparently it's the best fat burner. I do 10 mins normal then 2 mins fast and repeat this three times. If you adapt your diet too you'll see weight loss gains in no time.

waycat Sun 12-Aug-12 20:06:27

This is great!
I am looking to kick my running up a notch and these suggestions are really helpful.

Let us know how you are getting on in a few weeks op. Good luck smile

Pos1 Fri 10-Aug-12 06:21:58

That's really helpful, thanks all

For weight loss, definitely start doing a couple of interval training runs a week, as described by karatekimmi...warm up for five mins with gentle jog then sprint for 30 secs, walk for one minute to recover, repeat 8 times (depending on how you feel, build up to 12) then run gently for five mins to recover...or find a hill you can run up in about 30 secs-1min and run up it, then walk down and repeat...

Intervals are killers (you will probably want to throw up/die the first few sessions) but amazing for burning fat and boosting metabolism. They will also have the added benefit of dramatically improving your fitness and speed smile

karatekimmi Wed 08-Aug-12 09:45:16

I would do both - if you have time then increase the time for one run a week, but keep at the same pace,

If you don't have time then measure a route and time it. Try and run it faster (don't time yourself too often or it can get demotivating if you don't beat it)

There are some other training runs you can do - maybe include hills, or do a farklet run (Swedish for speed play apparently) warm up then "play with speed" run as fast as you can to the next lamp post, then run slowly for a bit the run a bit faster for a bit, then try to overtake the dog walker ...

I have an iPhone and use the Adidas micoach app, and have downloaded a lose weight training plan which includes shorter faster runs, and longer slower runs. You do an assessment run so the speeds are set for you. I've found it good, and I am sure other apps or training plans exists.

Hth

Pos1 Wed 08-Aug-12 09:36:48

Hi all

Can you give me some advice about losing weight and running? I've started running about 2 months ago from a point of not having exercised for about 4 years and having two children. I am now running for about 30 minutes non stop and cover 2.5 miles (which I am really happy with) I've not lost weigh but have changed shape- I 'm not too fussed about what I weigh, I'm just going on how my clothes feel. I want to get the most out of the running with regards to weight, do should I now concentrate on doing the same route in a quicker time, or stock with my pace but increase the distance?

Thanks all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now