Does anyone else enjoy doing weights/kettle bells/trx training?

(290 Posts)
rhondajean Fri 17-Feb-12 18:35:01

I'm just looking for a few people who love doing this type of training rather than just running/cycling/swimming.

I do A bit of martial arts too and I've got some friends who do that but I don't know a lot of women who like the weights and resistance bit and it would be nice to know some more.

It's circuits I do rather than powerlifting btw.

VickityBoo Sat 18-Feb-12 22:02:57

I wanted to start weightlifting just before I fell pregnant. I'll have to put it on hold for a while now.

Petesmum Sun 19-Feb-12 05:16:16

9weeks after CS & 10months of no gym work at all, I'm using 5-6kg on hand weights & 6-7kg on kettlebells but no big swinging movements yet as that puts too much strain on my abs.
Bizarrely that exercises that make my CS muscles work hardest are tricep pushdowns! I've always had weedy triceps & hated training them so I suspect it's more poor technique and I'm using my entire body in the movement rather than triceps confused must practise more!
NB I am working out with a PT who's put my programme together with input from a physio & GP as I know exercising within 12 weeks of a CS is frowned upon!

Foxinsocks Sun 19-Feb-12 05:24:04

I love weights and do a weight circuit every time I go to gym.

I pile on muscle v v quickly though so have to be careful otherwise I look like Arnie in no time! So I tend to do a weight category lower than I can manage to tone muscle rather than build.

I sometimes do free weights but not often.

Foxinsocks Sun 19-Feb-12 05:28:09

There's a good app called 'ifitness' which I use for weight exercises at home and new ideas. You can click on a muscle and it shows you exercises/weight routines!

AlpinePony Sun 19-Feb-12 06:29:08

Yay! I've found my women! smile

I love weight training although am just 6 days post cs so not good to go for a while yet.

I'm in the heavier/fewer reps camp.

Reasons I love weights:
1) early morning sessions leave me feeling powerful/invincible all day
2) the change to my bodyshape is fast and dramatic and I find that it works well to promote an hourglass shape
3) it's hard to wipe the smirk off my face when I watch a man get on a machine I've just vacated and lower the weights. By half! ;)
4) massive mental health boost
5) I feel physically strong and healthy
6) it improves my posture
7) regular bowel movements
8) triceps

Oh I can't wait to get back to the gym. I sorted out all my gym podcasts last week - chomping at the bit a bit eh?

RubberDuck Sun 19-Feb-12 06:31:36

I do martial arts and have tried various strength training programs including kettlebell, have enjoyed them all.

Currently, I'm using UFC Trainer on XBox which is mostly bodyweight exercises but you can add weights in on some of them. I thought I was fairly fit when I started but the program put me on "beginner" and I have rapidly discovered my core strength sucks grin The Kinect bit is a bit crap - often get frustrated when it doesn't properly register the movement - but I'm getting decent exercise with it and have noticed the difference in Krav class with my overall fitness. I do like the variety in routine that I don't have to think about as well.

lovesadirtylie Sun 19-Feb-12 11:06:34

Alpine 'it's hard to wipe the smirk off my face when I watch a man get on a machine I've just vacated and lower the weights. By half! ;)'
dont you just love love love having the power to emasculate grin
(oops! my mistandrist tendencies are peeking through)

Foxinsocks Sun 19-Feb-12 13:02:13

Ds likes doing weights too. I wish we had a bigger house because I'd get a proper set for home!

rhondajean Sun 19-Feb-12 16:42:44

Oh this is brilliant there are so many of us!

I bought DH the UFC trainer for wii at christmas, he's had a go at it but I haven't really tried it. He occasionally does an MMA class for variety so I thought he would like it.

Petesmum if you are a fast healer and you are under professional supervision and you aren't pushing it too far, then that's brilliant being back training nine weeks in. I hate triceps too but it's got to be done!

Alpine that's a brilliant list of why weight training is good for you! I usually train at lunch or tea times but I can second the way it makes you feel stronger, I love it. Guy at the gym was talking to me today and saying how not many women will do what I do and approach the barbells and big weights, I think if they realised how big a difference it makes to your posture and body shape they would though.

I'm currently doing a programme from www.bodybuilding.com, it's Jamie easdons livefit programme and I'm on week five if anyone fancies a look.

iamaLeafontheWind Sun 19-Feb-12 18:44:43

Pokes nose in door

So, should I splash on a brief personal trainer so I make sure my technique is right? Just getting back into proper training but never concentrated on weights before, however being able to train without leaving the house appeals. Where's the best place to start?

rhondajean Sun 19-Feb-12 21:42:15

I'd say a pt is useful if you haven't done it before to make sure you don't hurt yourself, and if you want to do it t home kettle bells are good asa you can do loads with one or two of them

There is amwebsite for finding pts but I can't remember the name sorry. Check he is a reps member which will mean he is qualified and has full insurance - or she but he can be fun!

jellibelli Sun 19-Feb-12 22:50:57

<snurk Rhonda's male PT>

Thanks for the tips ladies, from what you say I think i need to up my weights a bit, i will rummage in DH's collection.....

My diet is ok, mostly, i think, although I do struggle to get more protein down me. But I have only been doing it for four weeks and am seeing a change in my body and the tape measure so I am happy with that so far.

Hi, can I join too ? I regularly lift weights, recently took up kickboxing and also own the evil piece of kit that is the trx for when I can't get to the gym or dojo or bring myself to run in the cold/rain grin.

I swear by the effects of heavier free weight training and high intensity interval training and like others, often find myself the only female in the free weights corner of the gym. It is so hard to convince other women of it though, so many are fixated on hours of cardio and maybe lots of light weight high rep rubbish sad.

I include clean and press in my routine and also am trying to do more plyometric stuff like jumping lunges with light weights and squat and jump over a step to try and make my gym routine more cardio intensive IYSWIM? What cardio do you other weight lifting regulars do?

AlpinePony Mon 20-Feb-12 08:03:22

sleepwhendie for me just generally HIIT running, I say running which is perhaps an overly-generous word. ;) There's a Serena Williams/Nike podcast I use which I love, she says something like 'now I want you to really turn some heads with your speed' - oh dear. But I often do one minute on, one minute off and if I'm wanting a bit more I ramp up the incline on the treadmill.

foxinsocks my husband is setting up a weights bench in our spare room yay! Will be able to grab 15 mins here and there when a real gym trip is not possible.

rhonda I will take a look at that website thank you.

Has anyone got any advice re: lunged - is there an alternative or are they a necessary evil?

GeneCowan Mon 20-Feb-12 08:31:32

Can I join please? I think I might be the only woman in the free weights section at my gym too.

sleepwhenidie I do 'finishers' after my weights workout sometimes instead of an HIIT session. Two of my favourites, (no that's the wrong work, perhaps most effective would be more appropriate!) are Cosgrove's leg matrix:
24 squats, 24 alternating lunges, 24 jumping lunges, 24 jumping squats. Rest for twice the length of time it takes you to do and then repeat... you will cry!

Another good one is to pick a weight you can do 10- 15 reps of a goblet squat with. Do 10 burpees (squat thrust with a jump at the end) and one goblet squat, 9 burpees & 2 squats, 8 burpees & 3 squats.... you get the picture.

AlpinePony any reason why you can't do lunges? If not then I think they are a fantastic exercise for your legs, so many different variations, there is definitely no machine substitute.

notyummy Mon 20-Feb-12 08:36:22

For a quick cardio blast as part of a wider weights routine, I would thoroughly recommend tabata. I have been banging on about it on another thread. Only 4 minutes, but you really have to push yourself. It's not pretty, so do it at the end of a session, or as a one off when short of time, because you won't be doing anything else afterwards if you do it properly wink

Right, just off to drop DD at nursery, then gym, will try your goblet squat thing gene...not feeling brave enough for the leg matrix yetgrin...will report back with thanks - or curses! Have looked at Tabata before too notyummy. do you do it at the gym or elsewhere?

notyummy Mon 20-Feb-12 09:16:13

I either do it on the crostrainer at home, or to finish off a short run (3 miler). I once tried it in the middle of a longer run as an interval seesion. BIG mistake. When I finished I was still 4 miles from home and felt dizzy and faint. Had to sit down on the pavement blush

It can be done with squats/lunges/burpes etc but I can never bring myself to try....

prettymum Mon 20-Feb-12 09:38:24

I'm also a weight training lover, got into it last September and I use the Chalean Extreme dvds. It's a 3 month weight training programme, 3 days weights and 2 days high interval training, longest dvd is around 45 minutes so easy to fit into daily routine. I am now nearly coming to the end of round 2, and I have had great results, I have never had abs before and now have lovely abs and my thighs and arms look great.

What I love most is how strong I feel and I don't worry too much about food any more as my body constantly needs feeding with the more muscle I have.

I am 5ft 4, used myfitnesspal to go from 9st4 size 10-12 down to 8st 10lbs size 8. I have been maintaining this weight since last September and I am still shrinking in inches despite eating a lot more calories.

cornsilkteamdixon Mon 20-Feb-12 10:08:16

notyummy tell me more about tabata...I can handle 4 mins grin

Mrsrobertduvall Mon 20-Feb-12 11:21:12

I am just off for a pt session..wonder what I'll be doing!!
I am 6feet tall and have gone from 11 stone 12 to 11 stone 2 since the summer, and from a 14/16 bottom to a small 12.
I especially love my arms and shoulders.

notyummy Mon 20-Feb-12 11:31:38

Tabata - 8 intervals. 20 seconds maximum effort followed by 10 second recovery. During the 20 seconds you work at absolute maximum capacity. It starts off feeling ok, but 10 seconds is long enough to recover, so by about half way through you start really feeling it. A really great cardio workout, but only if you fully commit. Not fun. But short!

Ok, am back, did the burpee/squat thing, OMG it was hard...had to rest in between each set of burpees/squats, until I got down to 4 burpees...was I supposed to confused not that I could have managed it otherwise! Did 12 mins intervals on the stair machine afterwards.

cornsilk take a look at YouTube for some tabata workouts...they look evil

prettymum I have the same experience with weight training/food, I find I can pretty much eat and drink what I like (lots!) and not gain weight as long as I keep up the weight training. Also I love feeling strong and proud of my shoulders/arms in particular. Am going to check out your Chalean workout, always up for a change.

lovesadirtylie Mon 20-Feb-12 12:26:08

Alpine lunges are good, I prefer a long stance with all reps done on one leg then change rather than alternating with each rep.

Also check you tube for russian split squats.
Pistol squats are good..but very hard!! confused

GeneCowan Mon 20-Feb-12 13:33:28

No rest sleepwhenIdie I'm afraid, it's meant to be continuous. Must admit when I first started I started from 5 burpees and 1 squat and worked my way up. Even that was bad enough!

I love bulgarian split squats, if I just had to do one leg exercise these would be the ones. I cannot do pistols with a full range of movement at all, still to weak, but I really like single leg exercises as they utilise your core even more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now