Where can I buy a full face bike helmet for a 5yo girl?

(11 Posts)
Pavlovthecat Sat 23-Jul-11 20:44:44

My DD is learning to ride. 2 goes on her new bike, and she is almost riding it.

A child I know fell off a few weeks back, over handlebars, smashed his open-faced helmet completely at the front, broke his nose and split his lip (5yo).A&E advised the parents of the little boy who broke his nose to get a full faced helmet. DD is likely to want to ride rough and fast and I am worried about this happening to her so want to get her a full face helmet too.

All of them appear to be for older children, and all black and grey. Does anyone know where I can buy one that is at least neutral/white or just plain black if not girly so we can put stickers on?

We want her to want to wear it!

Doodlez Sat 23-Jul-11 21:53:36
Pavlovthecat Sat 23-Jul-11 21:54:52

oh that is fab!!! i think it might be too big though...I shall have to get her head properly measured anyway, but if it did fit, would be perfect!

thank you!

Eglu Sat 23-Jul-11 21:56:15

My concern with full face helmets is that your child can't hear you or traffic very well with them on.

Pavlovthecat Sat 23-Jul-11 21:57:11

ok, just emailed them to ask about approx age range for that size.

They also do it in light pink. either of those would be perfect. She would look so cool in that!

Pavlovthecat Sat 23-Jul-11 21:58:14

eglu she will never go near a road on her bike. But that is worth us taking into account when she is riding her bike so thanks for making me aware, I would never have considered it!

TennisFan Sat 23-Jul-11 22:01:11

My daughter got one in Toys R us it is just like that one in the picture. She is 7 and loves to ride her bike

Pavlovthecat Sat 23-Jul-11 22:03:07

tennis we have been to our local ts r us and they don't have any full faced helmets at all. Maybe i should look online.

Although the one that was linked is very reasonably priced. I thought I might have to spend more than that.

Does she enjoy wearing the helmet? are there any problems with it that you can see?

ragged Mon 25-Jul-11 08:45:41

We got a basic styrofoam one from Argos; good enough for the sort of use you do.
You can spend 85 quid and get a proper hard plastic fully padded one suitable for BMX racing, but I venture that might be OTT. wink

commodorere Mon 08-Apr-13 15:19:23

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

dobby2001 Fri 12-Apr-13 22:13:43

Pavlov, the type of helmet you are looking for is for BMX or downhill MTB, not usually used with younger children to be honest.

The child who had the accident was extremely unlucky, it must have been a very bad accidnet to split a helmet at the front, unless it already had damage? (perhaps dropped or crushed with an internal crack)

All standard helmets are built to protect to high standards if bought from reputable sources. There is usually a thickness sufficient to stop the face hitting the ground as the helmet will hit the ground instead if that makes sense. This is especially true of helmets for standard MTB as they have peaks attached.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now