From the FT Comments page:

(18 Posts)
Draylon Tue 22-Nov-16 07:43:47

"So, this is how the debate reads so far. I kid you not, it’s practically verbatim:

Remainers (left holding the Brexit baby after the Leavers… left) “WTF?”

Leavers “We voted Brexit, now You Remainers need to implement it”

Remainers “But it’s not possible!”

Leavers “The People Have Spoken. Therefore it is possible. You just have to think positively.”

Remainers “And do what exactly?”

Leavers “Come up with a Plan that will leave us all better off outside the EU than in it”

Remainers “But it’s not possible!”

Leavers “Quit with the negative vibes. The People Have Spoken.”

Remainers “But even you don’t know how!”

Leavers “That’s your problem, we’ve done our bit and voted, we’re going to sit here and eat popcorn and watch as you do it.”

Remainers “Shouldn’t you do it?”

Leavers “It’s not up to us to work out the detail, it’s up to you experts.”

Remainers “I thought you’d had enough of experts”

Leavers “Remain experts.”

Remainers “There are no Leave experts”

Leavers “Then you’ll have to do it then. Oh, and by the way, no dragging your feet or complaining about it, because if you do a deal we don’t want, we’ll eat you alive.”

Remainers “But you don’t know what you want!”

Leavers “We want massive economic growth, no migration, free trade with the EU and every other country, on our terms, the revival of British industry, re-open the coal mines, tea and vicars on every village green, some bunting, and maybe restoration of the empire.”

Remainers “You’re delusional.”

Leavers “We’re a delusional majority. DEMOCRACY! So do the thing that isn’t possible, very quickly, and give all Leavers what they want, even though they don’t know what they want, and ignore the 16 million other voters who disagree. They’re tight trouser latte-sipping hipsters who whine all the time, who cares.”.."

By Ishtar Ostaria

Yup, just about nails it grin

RageAgainstTheTagine Tue 22-Nov-16 08:07:39

Yawn.

Mistigri Tue 22-Nov-16 08:33:37

It's a bit old, but it's spot on.

"Yawn" is the response of someone who has no argument and nothing to contribute.

mirokarikovo Tue 22-Nov-16 09:01:26

Could you link to the page this is from OP?

mrsquagmire Tue 22-Nov-16 09:30:44

www.ft.com/content/ea0ee624-573a-11e6-9f70-badea1b336d4

RageAgainstTheTagine Tue 22-Nov-16 10:58:54

It's just such crushingly tedious, predictable tosh. A 'witty' conversation with a leave voter, staged as if we actually need remain voters on the Internet to 'fix' brexit. Please. It's cringe worthy.
And as yet, I really don't see what needs fixing! Government borrowing much less than expected, inflation down, unemployment down. Here's the other side of the coin;

Leaver: "hi, how's....."
Remainers: "NOT IN MY NAME!"
Leaver: "ok....want a cup of t......"
Remainer "RACIST!!"
Leaver "Now come on, I'm not racist."
Remainers "I HOPE YOUR CHILDREN GET SICK AND CANT GET TREATMENT!!!!!!!!!"

mirokarikovo Tue 22-Nov-16 11:00:53

Ah it's behind a paywall.

Thepoke has a Facebook version of it here where most of the comments are more of the same "shut up moaning" vs "but you're delusional"

Mistigri Tue 22-Nov-16 11:09:01

I really don't see what needs fixing

Come back when you've worked out how and when we are actually going to leave ...

Much of the economic impact to date is related to currency devaluation; big exporters like my employer are making huge profits not by increasing exports but simply by earning in a foreign currency which now buys 15% more pounds. It won't be until next year that we see the knock on effect on inflation and probably interest rates.

The text in the OP was written soon after the referendum when prominent leavers were indeed happily going around saying "plan? What plan? We haven't got a plan. Isn't that up to the government?"

Insofar as anyone has a plan (or "plan"), it does appear to be be remainers, like Hammond. (Not that I'm an apologist for Hammond but by all accounts he has his head screwed on).

InformalRoman Tue 22-Nov-16 13:10:25

Is that the same Philip Hammond that the Daily Torygraph is accusing of "relentless negativity" around Brexit? Obviously it's not allowed to state that the UK has eye wateringly large debt and inflation is on the rise, because that's just talking the country down.

Carney and Hammond. Darn those pesky experts.

SapphireStrange Tue 22-Nov-16 13:29:59

Roman, I'm SO SICK of the 'talking the country down' rhetoric.

It'd be OK if anyone on the Leave side was actually talking the country UP in any concrete manner, by, you know, coming up with implementable and useful terms for our exit or something.

RageAgainstTheTagine Tue 22-Nov-16 13:43:52

I could type up a perfect exit strategy, but let's be honest....it's not like no 10 is frantically scanning mumsnet threads for ideas. I can't offer remainers what they want, which seems to be promises that nobody can give. Remaining would have given us an idea of what the next 5 years would be like, but it was going down a path which I didn't want to go down. We are now on a new path, no, we can't see what the next 5 years will be like because it's not following the unstoppable plan of the Eu superstate anymore. All I know is what it WONT look like, and I'm bloody pleased about it too!

SapphireStrange Tue 22-Nov-16 14:11:51

I can't offer remainers what they want, which seems to be promises that nobody can give.

THAT is quite funny. The Leave campaign promised all that money back from the EU and diverted to the NHS instead. They promised, variously and at different times: staying in the single market without having to have freedom of movement; staying in the single market WITH freedom of movement (when they told us we could have a Norway or Switzerland type deal); totally out of the single market but without losing any trade advantages.

The government now because a lot of the Leave campaign leaders now can't be seen for dust are still saying we can have all the advantages of being in the single market without the 'downside' of FOM. Boris Johnson has even helpfully characterised this notion as 'having cake and eating it'.

Who exactly is suggesting things and making promises that they can't keep?

Rage, don't worry that No. 10 isn't turning to MN for help. We're all ears on here. I'd love to hear your plan.

InformalRoman Tue 22-Nov-16 14:49:02

I think we could rephrase Boris's "having cake and eating it" as "having fish and chips and eating them"?

Peregrina Tue 22-Nov-16 15:04:46

It wouldn't do the Govt. any harm to look at MN for ideas, since they have precious few of their own.

Davis or was it Fox, was talking about trade deals being agreed by 9th September - nearly 3 months gone and not a sign. Deal with India? No chance unless their citizens get an extra visa quota. And on....

HyacinthFuckit Tue 22-Nov-16 17:47:23

I love it when people who clearly aren't very well appraised of the situation tell us they cant see what's to worry about.

InfiniteSheldon Wed 23-Nov-16 07:19:25

More of the us and them rhetoric, boring in the extreme

Mistigri Wed 23-Nov-16 11:46:12

But the reality is that it IS an "us and them" situation, isn't it? That's what all the "we won yah boo sucks" stuff is all about.

It was a slim win for brexit, but that doesn't mean that the very large percentage of the population who won't agree with it shouldn't have their concerns taken into account. Yet that's what's happening. We are not even allowed to know what the government's strategy or intentions are (if they have a strategy, which isn't clear).

A more appropriate government response would be to acknowledge that the mandate for hard brexit is non-existent, and to attempt to understand what compromise solution could be acceptable and the least damaging both to civil society (leavers and remainers alike) and economic actors (businesses, investors). That was not the choice made.

SapphireStrange Wed 23-Nov-16 11:51:54

Agree, Misti.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now