UK vs. EU law ....

(5 Posts)
LurkingHusband Fri 28-Oct-16 16:56:37

from

www.theregister.co.uk/2016/10/28/uber_drivers_not_selfemployed_london_tribunal_rules/

Uber had argued that the agreement between it and its UK drivers was governed by Dutch law, but the EU's Rome I Regulations 2008 – still in force in the UK until at least 2019 – allowed the drivers to successfully argue that British law should be applied instead.

What's this, UK law trumping EU law ?

Peregrina Fri 28-Oct-16 18:38:32

Gosh, are you saying we didn't need a Referendum to 'Take back Control'?

Corcory Fri 28-Oct-16 19:01:35

It was Dutch law that Uber were trying to say the drivers were driving under but EU regulations are still in force so UK law prevails - what ever that means! After 2019 UK law only will apply so no problems there then, no one should have any Dutch law interfering with there employment rights!

Mistigri Fri 28-Oct-16 20:37:40

Corcory, Uber drivers are not "employed" and they have no "employment rights". It is perfectly possible for a freelancer or small business to sign a contract with a foreign company and it's not unusual for contracts to specify which country's legal system will be used to settle disputes.

babybarrister Mon 07-Nov-16 20:07:53

I think though that re employment contracts you cannot just choose which law will apply but it is based on where the contract is being performed - stands to be corrected though as I'm a family lawyer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now