So, how much would *you* pay ...

(8 Posts)
LurkingHusband Mon 12-Sep-16 16:55:59

for a Visa to visit an EU country ?

Despite Amber Rudd hoping it doesn't happen, let's pretend it does ..

(the argument that Spain, Greece, France would not want to damage their tourist industry isn't really going to carry much water:

- the EU being the EU would mean that it would be an EU visa, not a French/Spanish visa. So it would not disadvantage any individual EU country.
- The implication that all tourists would want to switch to a non-EU destination to save £x is untested

)

£10 per person ?
£20 ?

Would they be annual visas ?

Would you have classes of visa ? (e.g. tourist or work ?)

(I'm trying out the new "Chance" cards from my new board game "Brexit !" - ^the game all the family cam play, but only half understand^).

MakemineaGandT Mon 12-Sep-16 17:51:38

grin lurking husband

That board game idea is hilarious

Kaija Mon 12-Sep-16 21:20:24

Just saw this tweet:

Some customers chatting in my work:
"When I voted Brexit, it was to keep foreigners out, not so I need a visa to travel. It's ridiculous"

Guess it tallies with the depressing/hilarious results of this pre-ref survey (which should have told us everything we needed to know about why a referendum would be a bad idea):

STIDW Mon 12-Sep-16 22:19:36

This has nothing to do with Brexit. My understanding is the EU is planning to introduce visas to visitors from countries outside the Schengen area to improve security. The proposal is UK passport holders will be able to apply for visa waiver like ESTA in the US. That probably means we will be able to apply quickly online for a fee of around £10-12. My guess is the duration of will be something like 3-6 months. If the UK remained in the EU we would still need to apply for the visa waiver because we aren't in Schengen.

scaryteacher Tue 13-Sep-16 11:47:06

Lots of the world to go and see outside the EU. Let's hope we reciprocate with a UK ESTA for Schengen countries; after all the Belgians don't know who they have in Molenbeek for example, so our security could be at risk too.

STIDW Tue 13-Sep-16 17:19:15

Let's hope we reciprocate

A knee jerk/tit-for-tat reaction is unhelpful & not warranted. Childish behaviour like that isn't constructive. It's likely to inflame matters making negations more difficult leading to a less favourable outcome.

If there is evidence visas for visitors from EU countries would help security in the UK then by all means introduce them. However there is no point in having visas unless there are resources to check them at the point of entry to the UK. Logistically it could cause long delays & repeats of Operation Stack. There may be better & less expensive ways of improving security.

Figmentofmyimagination Wed 14-Sep-16 13:58:08

There's a good analysis here: eulawanalysis.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/will-uk-citizens-have-to-pay-to-visit.html?m=1

Mistigri Wed 14-Sep-16 15:32:56

This has nothing to do with Brexit. My understanding is the EU is planning to introduce visas to visitors from countries outside the Schengen area to improve security.

I'm not sure this is correct. The article linked by figment suggests that non-Schenghen states which are part of the free movement area ie EEA/EU (in practice this means Ireland and, possibly, the UK) would be exempt from the ESTA. It would apply to all non-EU/EEA countries, potentially including the UK, assuming a "hard" Brexit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now