BelfastBloke Sat 23-Jul-16 18:04:28

On BBC2

BelfastBloke Sat 23-Jul-16 18:06:22

Evan Davis is transforming into Gollum.

Good presenter though.

Boris had drafted remarks for a loss.

BelfastBloke Sat 23-Jul-16 18:08:52

It was Boris wot won it.

Farage: 'Had it just been me, we would have lost".

colouringinagain Sat 23-Jul-16 18:16:48

Not sure I can stomach re-living all this!

Leave's "take back control" messaging strategy was clearly high effective sad

BelfastBloke Sat 23-Jul-16 18:18:01

"It was a nightmare not to have greater support from the leader of the Labour Party"

BelfastBloke Sat 23-Jul-16 18:21:47

Labour MP Stella Creasey: "It felt like Jeremy had benched himself"

BelfastBloke Sat 23-Jul-16 18:28:22

Theresa May: 'Closest possible economic union with the EU"

Nick Clegg: that means Norway or better.

tiggytape Sat 23-Jul-16 18:36:05

I'm watching on delay. Opinion that 70% who voted leave did so on one of two issues: immigration or a notion of reclaiming sovereignty (which has an emotional element as well as a factual one).
Economic doom and gloom didn't cut it - Clegg says that even he almost felt like voting out listening to Osbourne's threats of a punishment budget and taking money off every household.

colouringinagain Sat 23-Jul-16 18:38:22

Mind-boggling naivety from some Leave voters imho

BelfastBloke Sat 23-Jul-16 18:40:45

"People voted with the future in mind"

That unites us - but it could divide us as well, if things don't work out as we expected.

tiggytape Sat 23-Jul-16 18:40:58

Creasey talking about freedom of labour (distinctly not freedom of movement). That may satisfy many leavers' demands - especially of those who vote Labour and fear immigration because of any perceived affect on pay and jobs.

BelfastBloke Sat 23-Jul-16 18:43:09

What T-May said that nobody else did, is that EU nationals here may have their status in question.

tiggytape Sat 23-Jul-16 18:50:15

UK nationals living abroad are worried. Any arrangement has to be reciprocal else we risk UK nationals living in the EU losing all their rights in future negotiations. If we said it needn't be reciprocal then we would be failing to protect those people from what the EU might chose to impose on them in driving a hard bargain with us over Brexit.
But that's not say that both sides ought to agree on protecting rights of everyone sooner rather than later. It isn't fair for either UK or EU nationals living in another EU country to spend the next 2.5 years worried about their lives.

bkgirl Sun 24-Jul-16 04:31:53

Hollande embarks on tour to push for European ‘army’

www.euractiv.com/section/global-europe/news/francois-hollande-embarks-on-tour-to-push-for-european-army/

Maybe our kids won't be sent to die for the EU's empire building, what was that about Potugals colonial past, handy for dealing with Africa.
Again, I don't want my kids to be cannon fodder for any meglomaniac in Brussels.

bkgirl Sun 24-Jul-16 04:32:17

*Portugal

crossroads3 Sun 24-Jul-16 08:16:24

I was in the audience!

I thought that the debate was poor and repetitive.... In the run up to the televised show there had been an afternoon of debates that had actually been a lot better / more interesting...

A4Document Sun 24-Jul-16 16:38:55

I'd like to know why, of the political guests, there were 3 for remain and only 2 from the leave side confused

crossroads3 Sun 24-Jul-16 16:45:02

I don't know. During the afternoon debates the numbers were even. The live broadcast seemed to me to be knocked up without much thought.

tiggytape Sun 24-Jul-16 16:57:57

They said the studio audience were mainly remain because it was a first come, first served ticketed event held in London and that's how the numbers worked out.
I have no idea why the political guests weren't more evenly split though.

Peregrina Sun 24-Jul-16 17:14:08

Again, I don't want my kids to be cannon fodder for any meglomaniac in Brussels.

But our children have already been cannon fodder for megalomaniacs in Washington. Does the fact that the person who sent them into war, Bush, backed up by Blair, spoke English, make the pain any less for the bereaved relatives?As Reg Keys said, after the Chilcot report was published: 'My son died in vain'.

Floisme Mon 25-Jul-16 16:53:30

Tory brexiter interrupted every time Stella Creasey spoke. Noticeably didnt try it on with Nick Clegg. Evan Davis supposed to be chairing but failed to control him. Very poor from them both.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now