Voting leave and the death penalty

(70 Posts)
nightandthelight Sun 17-Jul-16 19:44:08

Very interesting read from the BBC regarding the link between voting leave and support for the death penalty. Contradicts the idea that leave voters were the disenfranchised poor.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36803544

smallfox2002 Sun 17-Jul-16 21:05:48

Yet another "contradicts" thread.

The disenfranchised poor were one element of the leave vote, and a significant one, without which the leave vote may not have won. No one ever said that it was the only reason for the vote

smallfox2002 Sun 17-Jul-16 21:09:13

I also wouldn't be impressed that people who are more likely to vote for the return of the death penalty are more likely to vote in brexit.

0phelia Sun 17-Jul-16 21:12:06

We're all going to die!

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Sun 17-Jul-16 21:20:04

That is necessarily and undeniably true, Ophelia. One day.

Before that we'll experience brexit caused job losses, house price crashes, recession, fewer job opportunities, less funding for our universities, no more EU subsidies for our farmers and economically deprived areas, no more Eu legislation to keep our beaches and air clean and increased xenophobia.

Cheers wine

Oh, and probably increased prices on said wine

RortyCrankle Sun 17-Jul-16 21:22:57

I voted Leave and believe the death penalty is uncivilised and abhorrent.

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Sun 17-Jul-16 21:30:51

It's the strongest correlation, Rorty. Moreso than class, education and income - although those are strongly correlated too. But obvs it doesn't mean that every leave voter believes in the death penalty.

Ohwhatalovelysummer Sun 17-Jul-16 21:36:05

Utter rubbish, have met many leavers, myself included. Have never met a single person that openly agrees with the death penalty!! Where do they get these ridiculous statistics? This is getting stupid now, clutching at straws springs to mind.

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Sun 17-Jul-16 21:40:26

They got it from the British Election Study, Ohwhatalovelysummer.

It says so in the article.

Sooverthis Sun 17-Jul-16 21:44:17

so not only am I too old to vote, too stupid to vote, too gullible and a racist I also support the death penalty have a biscuit

Ohwhatalovelysummer Sun 17-Jul-16 21:45:34

Well, we all know statistics are 100% trustworthy dont we? If I could be arsed, (which I cannot, as this is utterly ridiculous) I would spend my time breaking this shite down properly, frankly however, I have better things to do than waste a couple of hours on some spurious bollocks.

Ohwhatalovelysummer Sun 17-Jul-16 21:46:38

Yep Soover, agreed. Here, have a whole pack!
biscuitbiscuitbiscuitbiscuitbiscuitbiscuitbiscuit

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Sun 17-Jul-16 21:48:37

Go on then, ohwhatalovelysummer. Of course, we all know correlation does not imply cause - but a correlation has been found here. And I have to say, I'm not at all surprised. Little Englander Leave voters also largely in favour of the death penalty comes as no surprise to me.

Ohwhatalovelysummer Sun 17-Jul-16 21:49:37

I am done with this ridiculous referendum section of MN now, enjoy dissapearing up your own backsides, wiping your tears away with the guardian and clutching your pearls until the 4 horseman of the apocalypse arrive. Done. Done. Done.

MyDarlingWhatIfYouFly Sun 17-Jul-16 21:49:50

"I don't like the results of the study and it contradicts my anecdotal data so it must be bollocks".

hmm

SuburbanRhonda Sun 17-Jul-16 21:51:32

I read that and found it interesting. The analysis suggested people who have more "traditional views" of the world were more likely to vote leave because they may hark back to the days when we had less involvement in the rest of the world.

It doesn't mean that if there is anyone who voted leave and doesn't tend to hold these views it immediately invalidates the research hmm

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Sun 17-Jul-16 21:53:50

DOn't let the door smack your arse, ohwhatalovelysummer. I do hope we have a lovely summer - it may make my mood better in the economic ruins of my children's lives following brexit.

SonicSpotlight Sun 17-Jul-16 21:54:01

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32061822

In 2015 48% of those surveyed were in favour of capital punishment. It was the first time support has dropped below 50%. It's not that surprising that the majority of those people voted leave. That doesn't mean that all leave voters are in favour of capital punishment.

smallfox2002 Sun 17-Jul-16 21:55:21

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

smallfox2002 Sun 17-Jul-16 21:59:46

I don't think anyone is suggesting that EVERY leave supporter backs the death penalty, but again as the data shows that the correlation between the two is clear.

RortyCrankle Sun 17-Jul-16 22:01:42

So are you suggesting the majority of Leavers support the death penalty? I just don't believe it. And what about Remainers, are they 100% anti? Don't think so.

It's getting a tad boring now - it's like 'what can we find to prove Leavers are thick and should not have been trusted with a vote'. I spent six months researching and reading on both sides of the argument before deciding to vote Leave because I believed it would be best for the country.

tilder Sun 17-Jul-16 22:03:29

Thank you. I could do with a biscuit.

It doesn't say everyone who voted Brexit would also vote for the death penalty. Just that there is a link. So Brexit voters are more likely to vote for the death penalty.

ohwhatalovelysummer just because you don't like it doesn't stop it having an evidence base.

Was it Gove who said we are all sick of experts? Apparently so if all statistics are untrueconfusedhmm

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Sun 17-Jul-16 22:04:15

No, we're not suggesting anything. The British Election study findings show that the greatest correlation to voting Leave was a belief in the death penalty. That obvs doesn't mean that every leave voter believes in it, or every remain voter doesn't. I would have thought that was obvious.

SuburbanRhonda Sun 17-Jul-16 22:05:28

I really don't understand what people don't get about a correlation. It doesn't mean, and never would mean, that every person who voted leave supports the death penalty or that everyone who voted remain is against it.

I think it's an interesting piece of research and gives us more insight into what was a very surprising result.

tilder Sun 17-Jul-16 22:11:39

I don't either suburban.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now