Westminstenders Contines. Boris outmaneovered everyone?! Now War and Peace?

(979 Posts)
RedToothBrush Thu 14-Jul-16 22:31:35

THE BREXIT FALLOUT CONTINUES - THREAD TEN

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This set of threads started out asking if Boris had been outmanoeuvred by Cameron handing him a poison chalice. Fate made it seem as if Boris lost the battle but May has confounded everyone and handed him a second chance. Or so it might seem.

May now has a new Cabinet after a sweeping cull of Cameron's lot. It is more right wing than in a generation. A number of appointments have raised eyebrows. There are plenty of poison chalices and plenty of Brexiteers. Will this create peace in the Tory ranks? Or is it just the calm before the storm

Labour are tearing themselves apart what now seems to be all out civil war. Talk of gerrymandering, violence, disenfranchisement, deselection and intimidation are rife. The seems to be no end in sight, and no prospect of a solution apparent. The question perhaps seems to be when and how, rather than if the party will split, and who will retain the name and party funds.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So the sad face of British politics in the last two days can be summed up in a single image. Boris and a brick.

Depressed?

I think we have a while to go yet before we hit the bottom.

Excuse me with the intros as I'm starting to struggle to keep up with things myself

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/eu_referendum_2016_/2684990-The-Westminster-Hunger-Games-Contines-May-Day-May-Day Previous Thread Nine

YourPerception Thu 14-Jul-16 22:35:23

Thank you I am enjoying your threads.

Chalalala Thu 14-Jul-16 22:39:48

10th thread!!

GingerIvy Thu 14-Jul-16 22:40:18

Thanks Red grin

GingerIvy Thu 14-Jul-16 22:40:48

So... rumblings in Tory camp about the new cabinet????

Unicornsarelovely Thu 14-Jul-16 22:42:07

Looking at that picture, I rather wish he'd hit himself repeatedly round the head with the brick on about 1st January this year.

Thanks for the new thread, Red.

colouringinagain Thu 14-Jul-16 22:43:48

Thanks Red brew

SalemsLott Thu 14-Jul-16 22:44:12

Place marking brew

orangjuicyfruit Thu 14-Jul-16 22:44:32

I actually had to turn off the news as it was depressing. I just can't believe how much has changed in a month.

Muddlingalongalone Thu 14-Jul-16 22:45:20

Not keeping up very well but still lurking & following - can't believe we're at thread 10 already.
Anyone else a bit disappointed there's no question time tonight?

RedToothBrush Thu 14-Jul-16 22:47:00

Reports are just breaking of an incident in Nice (Its Bastille Day). Police are apparently treating it as 'an attack'.

I hope its not.

Not just for France, but also because of potential knock on implications if these very early suggestions end up being similar to previous recent attacks.

sad

RedToothBrush Thu 14-Jul-16 22:47:56

Suggestion of 30 dead. Not sounding good at all.

Chalalala Thu 14-Jul-16 22:50:33

Oh shit

I was coming to post this here again, in case anyone missed it - excellent article

www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2016/07/14/everything-you-need-to-know-about-theresa-may-s-brexit

TheBathroomSink Thu 14-Jul-16 22:50:45

Cheers red wine

Theoretically, tomorrow should be a quieter day, if TM's off to Scotland then everyone else should be getting on with doing their new jobs, and under normal circumstances we would expect some reshuffling of the shadow cabinet to reflect the new ministers.

I am not expecting a shadow cabinet reshuffle to actually happen tomorrow, just so we are clear!

TheBathroomSink Thu 14-Jul-16 22:52:29

It is a truck that has driven in the celebrating crowd in Nice. Very little confirmed information so far but sounds horrific.

RedToothBrush Thu 14-Jul-16 22:53:15

A Labour reshuffle! Oh how funny.

Quieter day. Yes, I certainly hope so!
Thread about France already running btw.

prettybird Thu 14-Jul-16 22:53:55

Boris might actually have to do some diplomacy with France - at least on this occasion I'm sure he'll suppress the buffoon and be empathetic sad

flippinada Thu 14-Jul-16 22:54:37

The news about Nice is awful. I hope to god it's not an attack.

Chalalala Thu 14-Jul-16 22:55:30

Local politician tweeted about dozens of dead

Nice paper saying it was this truck at full speed, in which case, I'm not surprised...

twitter.com/Nice_Matin/status/753700953707126784/photo/1

officerhinrika Thu 14-Jul-16 22:57:37

Bastille Day must be the most vulnerable day for the French public. So much going on, fireworks , the tour, great crowds of people. Very worrying.
Thanks for the economist link about Gibraltar Red, I'd been wondering what the reaction there had been.

TheBathroomSink Thu 14-Jul-16 22:58:52

Times tomorrow has more of Loathsome's car crash interview. Turns out they saved some ammo. Mrs L doesn't think men should look after young children because of the danger that they might be a paedophile.

Times front page.

bonnie1981 Thu 14-Jul-16 22:59:34

I thought it was funny when AE heard about Boris becoming foreign secretary but I don't think it was shock he'd been given the role, I think it was more annoyance that yet again journos would be more interested in something else. Poor AE, she has bad timing!

GingerIvy Thu 14-Jul-16 22:59:49

oh good grief

bonnie1981 Thu 14-Jul-16 23:00:14

link to times article please?

BigChocFrenzy Thu 14-Jul-16 23:01:38

Thanks, red
I can't remember a set of threads racing along at this speed !

^Reshuffle and one important group we haven't really discussed^: social conservatives
That Spectator link in previous thread slammingthe reshuffle
It was because of the author's total fury at Gove being sacked, 2nd order fury about Crabbe's sacking, plus indignation that too many women were promoted.

The author is clearly a religious social conservative, saying about Gove "His Christian feel..." < shudders at Gove having a feel >

Gove & Crabbe are both religious social conservatives, so I was expecting the Tory God Squad to be furious at their sacking, plus at the promotion of a lesbian.

I was worried beforehand that TM would pander to the social conservatives, but thankfully she didn't feel the need.
I wonder if it means that strand in the Tory Party is no longer of sufficient importance for TM to think she had to pander to them.
Or just that TM felt sufficiently strongly about sacking those 2 ?
Totally understandable to exclude Gove, who has just stabbed his own allies.
And Crabbe isn't important enough to counterbalance his sexting - his sleaze wouldn't fit the image of a fresh new start.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now