Debate on second EU referendum after millions sign petition

(12 Posts)
GrandadGrumps Tue 12-Jul-16 17:57:41

Have I missed a thread about this? www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36777494

It don't expect much of a debate if they've decided the outcome before they've started!

Knittedfrog Tue 12-Jul-16 18:10:27

I signed this but feel they've made their minds up. I don't think it will get much discussion at all.

TwoLittleBlooms Tue 12-Jul-16 18:16:43

I have just had an email through saying they are going to debate it. I have to say I wasn't expecting it after the original update saying that "Brexit is Brexit". Even with the required number of signatures they do not have to debate - that is what the committee is for - to decide whether it will be debated, therefore I am quietly hopeful that it isn't just "brexit is brexit". A small glimmer of hope??

crossroads3 Tue 12-Jul-16 18:33:21

I think they are debating it because of the sheer number of people who signed it, with a view to changing the parameters for future referenda:

www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-second-eu-referendum-petition-latest-news-debate-parliament-mps-uk-position-in-europe-a7132836.html

MustStopAndThinkBeforePosting Tue 12-Jul-16 18:42:16

A debate in Westminster Hall has no power to change anything. It will give MPs on both sides the opportunity to stand on a soap box for a few minutes but nothing ever changes from a petition debate. The most that can be hoped for in these things is that the debate leads to MPs finding out who is prepared to stand up and be counted and can test the strengths of the arguments but anything that was more than a talking shop would have to get onto the legislative agenda through other means than the petitions website.

OneArt Wed 13-Jul-16 06:31:35

I also see it as a glimmer of hope. Maybe only a glimmer - but the best we've got at the moment.

Remainers, please write to your MP before the vote.

AristotlesTrousers Wed 13-Jul-16 07:52:45

Desperately hoping this is a good sign, but not convinced.

Just keep thinking - there has to be a get out clause somewhere. I don't think anybody really expected the Brexit vote to actually happen.

mollie123 Wed 13-Jul-16 07:56:19

biscuit - the petition debate is 11 backbench MPs from all parties! I am so tired of all this wrangling.

tiggytape Wed 13-Jul-16 09:19:13

Remainers, please write to your MP before the vote.
There isn't a vote - it is a debate and a chance to air differing views. MPs speak on behalf of their constituents and at the end a Government Minister will respond to what they've said.

I think the format is fairly predictable: a lot of MPs will say their constituents are upset or worried and there's no plan and then other MPs will say that turnout was huge and the result stands and then the Government Minister will say it is done now and we all need to be optimistic about our new role going forward....

It doesn't have any legal standing as such or lead to any formal voting for other options.

wowfudge Wed 13-Jul-16 09:34:29

The debate isn't until September.

OneArt Wed 13-Jul-16 09:47:00

Sorry, yes, that was a typo. Debate not vote.

STIDW Wed 13-Jul-16 10:43:15

Referenda rarely resolve the issues & realistically there was never going to be a second Brexit referendum. Signing the petition & having a debate makes a point. Legally referenda may need to be held for the treaties changing when we withdraw & then renegotiate trade with the EU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now