Is anyone feeling more confident after today's shenanigans? not sure I am

(33 Posts)
drivinmecrazy Mon 11-Jul-16 23:11:26

As the thread title says, are you?
I think I have less confidence (if that's possible ) now than I did yesterday.
How is it possible that an MP who has been at the centre of Camerons government now swoops in with promises of social and economic justice is given a coronation and a right to rule?
Surely if Theresa May really believed in these things she should have used her voice to speak out when the poorest in our society were being hit hardest as a result of austerity measures introduced by the government for whom she served. Why does she now get to rewrite the rule books and claim to seek to correct these mistakes ?
Have we all been led a merry dance? It kind of feels that way.
We now have a 'remain ' supporter replacing a 'remain ' PM , the same PM who said he couldn't lead a Brexit.
Meanwhile the final main high profile protagonist for the Brexit campaign quits her campaign.
I'm left feeling very uneasy as to what we are supposed to feel reassured by.
and let's not get into the primary challenger for the leader of the opposition, Angela Eagle. The woman who said in her speech that her party was 'facing dark days'. This would be the same person spear heading the coup against her leader who, arguably, is the architect of the parties current crisis.
just for reference I am a remain supporter who is desperate for a politician of any ilk to show some commitment and some confidence that they know a way out of this shiny shite of a mess. Don't care what party they might come from. They could come from outer feckin space as long as they have a plan!!!

MajesticWhine Mon 11-Jul-16 23:16:04

Yes I do feel a little bit more confident because Andrea Leadsome is not going to be PM. Anything else is tbh a blessed relief.

YourPerception Tue 12-Jul-16 01:19:42

It's all still up in the air.

EnthusiasmDisturbed Tue 12-Jul-16 08:38:27

I feel more confident she has said brexit means brexit and it's time to get on with that

Even as a remain voter I agree all this uncertainty is causing more anxiety

As for the Labour Party well if you have a leader that isn't bothered that the vast majority of his mp's have no confidence in him and still
feels he is the right person to lead what can be done apart from challange him. He is a disgrace he is splitting the party and is happy to do so for now labour are out of the picture

Grassgreendashhabi Tue 12-Jul-16 08:42:24

I think something else is going on...

I find it strange that Boris did not run knowing that Gove was so disliked and now this sudden departure from Angela makes me think they are all up to something

noblegiraffe Tue 12-Jul-16 08:50:34

It would be great to believe that they're all Machiavellian geniuses, but really I think they are just blundering along from one bodge job to the next.

Ohwhatalovelysummer Tue 12-Jul-16 09:13:52

Yes I do, I feel that the uncertainty is the real issue at the moment, not Brexit in and of itself. I believe Theresa May can speak for both sides, is the perfect choice to negotiate our successful exit and will get the Job done. Whether the Job will be done in a way that satisfies all, will be a story for History to tell.
I am actually excited (get your pitchforks ready folks) at all this political wrangling, its the biggest shake up in Politics for years and we may go forward from this with a sharper focus on Politicians who remember they are working for the people and not just for themselves or to please toff daddy.

Heres to the future, its going to be a bumpy ride on the way to our destination, but I really believe it will be worth it in the end.

3amEternal Tue 12-Jul-16 09:31:27

Yes it's all very odd that suddenly May is the one to stand up for the plebs. She did call them the nasty party some time ago so am hanging onto a glimmer that she actually wanted change and it's not all populist bullshit (naive). I agree with the 'bodge job' over 'Machiavellian genius' analysis. Boris never wanted to go through with it, you could tell by his horrified face the day after.

Draylon Tue 12-Jul-16 13:09:57

summer "Yes I do, I feel that the uncertainty is the real issue at the moment, not Brexit in and of itself."

The two are inextricably linked.

And of course it'll only be a question of time when every directly attributable negative result of Brexit, like jobs losses, contracts cancelled, unfettered racism and so forth- ,will be due to other circumstances, of course.

Ohwhatalovelysummer Tue 12-Jul-16 13:18:06

Unfettered racism? Thats not the society I live in... How many people do you know that would just stand back and allow such abhorrent behaviour to take place? (And if you do know any I hope you
Will call them out on it asap) Racism is not only awful, but against the law. We have not suddenly been launched into a lawless society... Unsettled? Yes. An unfortunate opportunity for a few pre existing crazies to pop up and behave disgustingly? 100%. However, I think the suggestion that racist views will suddenly sweep and infect the country 'unfettered' because people were sick of bloated eurocrats calling all the shots is (with all due respect) far fetched.

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Tue 12-Jul-16 13:42:24

What's with the faux-bluster, ohwhatalovely? Racist abuse has increased as a result of the referendum, it's been reported all over, people are being told on the street "we voted out, pack your bags."

OP - to answer your question I feel slightly calmer now that Theresa May is in charge - I would have been a gibbering wreck, I'm quite sure, after 9weeks of Andrea Leadsom campaigning for Leader. I don't agree with Theresa's politics - but I do feel she's a safe pair of hands. She's calm and experienced, and I don't think she'll rush into it.

Blue4ever Tue 12-Jul-16 13:52:28

I am a bit more optimistic, but not by much.

There has been an increase in the number of cases of racial abuse since the referendum (reported to the police) but it looks like things are calming down a bit (my own take on it). Things will calm down, the markets seems to have recovered a bit since we know who will be Prime Minister. But my prediction is that the poo will hit the fan properly when article 50 is declared. And in the meantime (it could be months before the negotiations start) many jobs will be lost, contracts will be lost, investments will go elsewhere.

But it's better than having to wait for weeks to know who would be PM.

Underparmummy Tue 12-Jul-16 13:54:18

noblegiraffe - I agree, noone has a plan. Which is...disappointing.

I am, like the markets, am glad that we now at least have a leader and dont have to wait until September. Leadsom did the right thing for the UK in this moment in time to be fair to her (first time for everything..)

Definite increase in racist hate crimes, cant believe the denial!

Dutchcourage Tue 12-Jul-16 13:55:32

I find it difficult to believe what ever comes out of these people's mouths.

We seem to lurch from one fuck up to another. I can't beileve that the cons decided to use this time for a fucking reshuffle instead of picking the shit sticks up and wading through. Thats dedication.

What the fuck are labour doing to JC? All of them need sacking - reds and blues!

Frankly I have no faith in a women that publicly states that there are benefits to Sharia law and then appoints an Islamic scholar and two Imans to join the board that is looking in to whether is is discriminatory towards woman.hmm

I don't think she is going to be the steadying hands people expect.

Dutchcourage Tue 12-Jul-16 13:56:04

*woman

Blue4ever Tue 12-Jul-16 14:00:45

There has been an increase for the first two weeks after the referendum that's a fact, reported in major newspapers. But I think that the last few days have been slightly better, I may be wrong but there are less reports on social media etc. And very few in the press.

Ohwhatalovelysummer Tue 12-Jul-16 14:01:41

Never said that there was not an increase in racists attacks. What I said was that the idea of 'Unfettered' racism was far fetched. I also agree that its abhorrent, so why accuse me of 'faux bluster'?

museumum Tue 12-Jul-16 14:02:25

I thi k the Tory party have done the right thing and I'm even more disgusted in labour right now that the torys organising themselves is just making labour look worse.
I don't blame JC for the mess, I blame the others. He won as leader outright, the MPs should have just sucked it up and got on with their job as opposition. They don't have an overwhelmingly convincing alternative candidate so they really need to just shut up, get behind JC and help him to stand up and hold TM to account in the discussions to come.

Blue4ever Tue 12-Jul-16 14:03:20

I meant racist attacks

www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/29/frenzy-hatred-brexit-racism-abuse-referendum-celebratory-lasting-damage

museumum Tue 12-Jul-16 14:04:02

Btw. I'm not a massive JC fan but I'm certainly not seeing any great alternative worth the upheaval of a leadership challenge for.

noblegiraffe Tue 12-Jul-16 14:11:24

The thing that bothers me most about the leadership stuff is that after their triumphant victory, the Leave leaders have not stepped up to the victory podium and taken their prize in a cloud of glory and applause, ready to lead us on to their brave new future.

They've gone, humiliated and defeated.

If Leave is such a great idea, then why are we left with a Remainer to lead us through it? How can that total mess fill anyone with confidence? It's like Leave actually lost if you look at the state of them now.

pandaskitchen Tue 12-Jul-16 14:30:05

OP, I am felling a little more settled. TM is certainly not an ideal Prime Minister, but she possibly was the best of the candidates. The Cons. situation is less messy that the Leadership battle in the Lab. party.

The concern was several weeks of campaigning could make the national economic status choppy, this will bring some calm. They just need a well organised plan now.

I am certain that Andrea Leadsom was lent on to withdraw, it all reminds me of that episode of 'Yes Minister'.

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Tue 12-Jul-16 19:44:56

Did I hear six years for Brexit? Damn that's a long time. My oldest will be 20 sad

I really am feeling the love for Theresa May at the moment - I don't really understand why, I never liked her that much at all before. I think it's the feeling that somebody (other than Leadsom, Gove or Johnson) will be in charge.

Ohwhatalovelysummer Tue 12-Jul-16 19:57:02

Haha Greenwood... May suddenly becomes so very appealing alongside that shower of twats doesnt she? 😂😂

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Tue 12-Jul-16 20:03:41

Indeed she does shock smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now