"Don't mind paying for EU services, but don't want them telling us what to do"

(9 Posts)
Kwirrell Wed 06-Jul-16 10:11:12

This was a view expressed by a leave voter I know. I wonder if I, as a Remain voter, am missing something, or is he.

His view of the negotiations was that we will pay for the Financial Passport, the Single Market Access and agree to Freedom of Movement. He described it as being a 'customer' of the EU rather than a partner.

When I asked him what the country would have gained by this he said, Self Government,

Anyone have any views on this?

powershowerforanhour Wed 06-Jul-16 10:23:23

You can't just buy your way into the market though, which is a good thing as hopefully the UK will have to retain some sort of standards for the protection of workers, animals and the environment.

citroenpresse Wed 06-Jul-16 16:06:27

What 'self-'governing' is left with an exit from the EU but still being a 'customer'? He can't control EU migrants coming to Britain and may even have to join Schengen (like existing 'customer', Norway). If his main trading partners are other EU countries, it will be difficult to impose different regulations and standards (because other countries will be following EU standards. Which he won't have a say in). What 'self-governing' is left that the British government is not already responsible for?

citroenpresse Wed 06-Jul-16 16:09:02

Maybe ask him a specific question: what is 'the EU' currently 'telling him what to do?'

ManonLescaut Wed 06-Jul-16 16:09:38

A customer rather than a partner is a weaker rather than a stronger role.

If you don't want the EU telling you what to do, then you have to stay in it to influence the discussions.

Once you're out, all the decisions will be made without you. And you will have to abide by them.

citroenpresse Wed 06-Jul-16 16:16:51

We've not, of course, been best-served by British MEPs - biggest party UKIP. Nigel Farage 747th out of 751 for Euro Parliament attendance, but that's democracy for you.

prettybird Thu 07-Jul-16 13:46:28

I suppose if the UK chooses not to participate in the free market, EU manufacturers could start making "special" goods just for export to the UK that don't need to comply with all those pesky regulations. They'll be so much cheaper but not as safe that we'll be falling over ourselves to buy them hmm

BreakingDad77 Thu 07-Jul-16 14:43:59

They'll be so much cheaper but not as safe that we'll be falling over ourselves to buy them hmm

When working in middle east, was interesting seeing adverts on TV about toy quality with a kids trike shattering, from a trip to any souq they get stuff imported from all over the world.

Its easy to forget about boring stuff like harmonised standards, though brexiters will call it 'being dictated to by europe'. hmm

lalalonglegs Thu 07-Jul-16 16:13:20

If we do join the EEA, would that allow the UK to negotiate trade deals with non-EU/EEA countries that would be entirely separate to the EU's agreements?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now