Exchange rates £ & €

(11 Posts)
rosierrosierrosier Tue 05-Jul-16 11:41:12

Can somebody explain to me how the British £ has been in regards to the € over the last year or so and what we can expect in the next year or two?

I was shocked to see the £ valued at 1.18 Euro today, how long has it been so low?

DadDadDad Tue 05-Jul-16 14:54:25

History? Plenty of websites out there, eg: uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=GBPEUR=X&t=5y&l=on&z=l&q=l&c=

Future? Presumably, all the people who have the answer to that are out making (or losing) a fortune on the currency market... hmm smile

Maybe it will bounce back - after all it's just hit a massive low following a shock. Maybe it will get worse as the concerns fail to be addressed. Pound could fall if BoE cut interest rates. Is that likely?

Hensintheskirting Tue 05-Jul-16 15:07:35

You were shocked to see that the pound has fallen against the euro? Did you hear about the referendum at all?

rosierrosierrosier Tue 05-Jul-16 15:14:53

Oh yes I smile Hensin. In actual fact I was just trying to calculate what kind of property I might be able to afford in my home country should the UK decide to kick my family out after decades of being settled here. Sadly, with the £ so low, our choices are more limited. The value of the £ never mattered much to me before as it was strong, I would like to understand just how much it has fallen over the last 6-12 months and the since the brexit the vote.

scaryteacher Tue 05-Jul-16 15:27:40

It's been up and down over the past few years; it was 1.2 about 2 years ago I think. We live in Belgium, so we keep an eye on it for transferring money back to the UK.

YerAWizardHarry Tue 05-Jul-16 15:29:43

I got around 1.27 this time last year, I got 1.17 last week

paap1975 Tue 05-Jul-16 15:35:16

Don't know if this will work: www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=EUR&view=1Y
If not, the site I use is xe dot com and then I look at historical currency rates. You can definitely spot when the referendum was!

rosierrosierrosier Tue 05-Jul-16 15:38:36

Thank you.

Mistigri Tue 05-Jul-16 21:02:42

It's interesting that the euro hasn't weakened much against the dollar. I was expecting it to fall more (I admit to some self-interest here, as DH is paid in US$ and we live in the eurozone).

Suggests that the markets aren't buying the leave campaign's "end times" scenario for the euro/ the EU.

MrsMaybeMaybenot Tue 05-Jul-16 21:04:58

mhm that's interesting Mist

sorenofthejnaii Tue 05-Jul-16 21:08:50

I was looking at a holiday a few months ago. I could have got 1.40 euros to the £.

The Euro crisis was helping the pound.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now