Buy British - but what?

(7 Posts)
noblegiraffe Sun 03-Jul-16 20:41:27

I've seen the suggestion a couple of times now that to help out the UK we should try to buy British where possible.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what British stuff we could be buying?

Fozzleyplum Sun 03-Jul-16 20:43:32

Locally produced food (meat and veg) and British knitwear, such as Brora and Johnstons of Elgin, because they use local labour to manufacture their goods.

Grumpysfirstwife Sun 03-Jul-16 20:44:42

A good place to start: www.britishproductsdirectory.co.uk/

Joysmum Sun 03-Jul-16 20:48:36

It's not just buying British, it's buying from local retailers.

noblegiraffe Sun 03-Jul-16 21:11:38

I looked at that website but it seems to be quite restricted? I know there's a dairy near me that sells yoghurt across the country but isn't listed.

Local retailers. Do you mean going to Waterstones instead of buying from Amazon?

At the lower end, should we favour Greggs over McDonalds?

As you can see, I've no idea what this really means.

Joysmum Sun 03-Jul-16 21:21:36

No, locally owned retailers.

RedToothBrush Sun 03-Jul-16 21:29:44

Who pays taxes where, is relevant even if they are international.

If its a car - where is the car produced and manufactured.

Seasonal fruit and veg and fruit and veg that can be grown in the uk over others. (less oranges from spain and more raspberries from Scotland for example or more tomatoes in summer and something else in winter rather than importing them and expecting them year round.

We really are going to have to change our mindset on this, as I think we will be forced to soon enough anyway, so thinking about it now will help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now