March? What march?

(752 Posts)
Thefuturecouldbebright Sat 02-Jul-16 14:04:39

Can anyone else find much news coverage of this 'democratic march against democracy'? Twitter is full of info, but tune into the news channels and you would be forgiven for thinking it wasnt happening. Kind of has the ring of 'nobody cares' really doesnt it?

A number of marchers posting on twitter seem to think they are geographically being removed from Europe, although I guess you could forgive them given the odd name given to the march itself 'March for europe'

Why is it not 'March for E.U'? Isnt that what they are really there for? Anyone else as confused as I am?

Thefuturecouldbebright Sat 02-Jul-16 14:08:00

I wonder if anyone is carrying 'we love Juncker' signs? Because everything I have seen so far seems to have been concerned with baguettes and croissants?

Thefuturecouldbebright Sat 02-Jul-16 14:11:42

Example.... And this is supposedly the intellectual choice?

whydidhesaythat Sat 02-Jul-16 14:12:46

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36692990

Here you go

bakeoffcake Sat 02-Jul-16 14:13:28

I did see a report about it this morning on BBC News Chanel, there seemed to ba a lot of people there.

Thefuturecouldbebright Sat 02-Jul-16 14:13:58

I meant live coverage, but thank you... I probably should have specified.

mollie123 Sat 02-Jul-16 14:23:53

thefuture
are french loaves the new weapon for the 'remainers' - will we have to give them up - so sad sad
really - I could easily live without french bread grin

tiggytape Sat 02-Jul-16 14:23:55

I think it coincided earlier with coverage of the Queen and the opening of the Scottish Parliament, the Welsh celebrations from last night and the rallies to support Corbyn. It's been on the news just now.

UnderTheGreenwoodTree Sat 02-Jul-16 14:25:59

I've just been watching it on BBC News 24.

Intentionally goady op I think....

Thefuturecouldbebright Sat 02-Jul-16 14:28:23

No goadiness on that front, genuinely searched live news channels for over an hour and a half, found nothing.

caitlinohara Sat 02-Jul-16 14:29:05

future And they call us ignorant! Do they not get that anti-EU is not the same thing as anti-Europe?

Thefuturecouldbebright Sat 02-Jul-16 14:29:14

Had to giggle at this though... (Twitter sourced)

GlassCircles Sat 02-Jul-16 14:31:43

It's been one of the main items on BBC TV news over the last two hours that I've had it on - live reporting including interviews with people taking part hmm

Thefuturecouldbebright Sat 02-Jul-16 14:32:00

And this guy....

Thefuturecouldbebright Sat 02-Jul-16 14:32:52

Really Glasscircles? Maybe I switched over at the wrong time? Will have a look now.

Thefuturecouldbebright Sat 02-Jul-16 14:34:26

Still found nothing, bbc news is currently (rightly) talking about the Somme, I must have blinked and missed it.

GlassCircles Sat 02-Jul-16 14:36:15

Yes - obviously they are covering other things like Bangladesh, Corbyn, Scotland, Wimbledon, the Bristol shooting etc, but it's one of the headlines.

whydidhesaythat Sat 02-Jul-16 15:12:46

A good march from the look of things

It's two miles long

I think it is important because these protests can influence the shape of the Brexit deal. Well done them

lalalonglegs Sat 02-Jul-16 15:27:32

There's extensive coverage on the Guardian. I've just got back - I missed the baguettes and croissants smile

Figmentofmyimagination Sat 02-Jul-16 15:37:32

Well I've just left the rally about half an hour ago. Fantastic crowd, really good natured, around 50,000?, barely any police presence, lots of children and teenagers, nice weather, well organised. It was the only fun thing I've done since all this started. I was on my own and I thought this might seem a bit weird but loads of people were on their own. A good way of removing sense of helplessness. Lammy was great. Spoke very well. Sound system could have been better. Some funny chants eg fromage not Farage and some very English signs eg 'down with this sort of thing'. My first march - 9 and a half out of 10 I would say.

whydidhesaythat Sat 02-Jul-16 15:42:08

Well done you!

Imbroglio Sat 02-Jul-16 15:57:47

I was there and it was brilliant.

ARumWithAView Sat 02-Jul-16 15:58:02

Best signs so far:

Brexistentional Crisis

Keep Calm but Remain Outraged

Never Gonna Give EU Up, Never Gonna Let EU Down

Fromage Not Farage

Down With This Sort Of Thing

And I Will Always Love EU

So When You're Near Me, Darling Can't EU Hear Me: SOS

I Want A Continental, Not A Full English Brexit

--

The march is receiving live or recently-updated coverage on every major news site, including Daily Mail, Guardian, ITN, BBC, Telegraph, Mirror, Evening Standard, HuffPost. Just in case anyone's been in front of the TV for hours, 'genuinely searching' for signs that anybody cares!

Thanks for starting this non-goady thread, though, in case anyone else was worried the march turned out to be 8 smelly students and their dog.

glitterbomb80 Sat 02-Jul-16 16:00:28

I liked:

No Brex please, we're British

and

Gove Will Tear Us Apart

MelanieCheeks Sat 02-Jul-16 16:02:34

Love the signs, tres amusant!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now