There is no lock on the door...

(37 Posts)
ProfessorPreciseaBug Sat 02-Jul-16 07:30:23

OK, I a. being tongue in cheek (a bit), but how about an idea?

We are still part of Europe and will be for some time to come whilst the negotiations carry on. And whilst we are part of Europe we have free movement. And we have been told that everyone who has moved will have the right to stay where they are post separation.

So why don't all the remainers who want to be part of Europe take advantage of the free movement and become part of Europe?

PS... this is tongue in cheek!

penisbeakerlaminateflooringetc Sat 02-Jul-16 07:32:11

Well, there has been a surge in applications for second passports so it looks like people are doing that already.

Nonreplicable Sat 02-Jul-16 07:39:49

Imagine the country with only those who voted leave left.

Be careful what you wish for.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 02-Jul-16 07:43:20

i love the way people post offensive shite and then excuse it by saying "but this is tongue in cheek passive aggressive

Hassled Sat 02-Jul-16 07:43:50

But I don't just want to right to live and work in EU countries, I also want people in EU countries to have the right to live and work in the UK. My issues aren't one way, IYSWIM. We need their skills, we need that tax revenue, we need that workforce.

Also I am truly shite at languages.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 02-Jul-16 07:44:37

^that

FanDabbyFloozy Sat 02-Jul-16 07:47:42

A country with just the exit voters would be a sad place indeed..

BombadierFritz Sat 02-Jul-16 07:47:45

Because i dont believe that we will continue to have the right to live there post-breakup. A politician told you, right? So uproot kids and then get chucked out again. Anyway, i wanted to retire there - 20 years to go - and kids to study there - 6 years to go. I have thought about it but its not the right time. Might go to scotland though.

TheCrowFromBelow Sat 02-Jul-16 08:04:33

I wanted the UK to stay part of the European Union, I don't want to leave the UK. The EU is about so much more than freedom of movement. We will probably still have freedom of move but we will lose all the other benefits. your leave if you don't like statement says more about your closed mindset than anything else.
And the "tongue in cheek" proviso is usually an excuse to voice some horrible opinion... Bit like "banter".

mollie123 Sat 02-Jul-16 08:06:46

biscuit - please give it a rest

eurochick Sat 02-Jul-16 08:14:11

This is obviously a silly post but shows a lack of thinking it through like the whole Leave campaign. No one knows where the negotiations will come out on terms for uk nationals living in other EU states. So why would anyone uproot their life, change jobs, etc when we don't know what the situation will be in a year or two?

CaptainBrickbeard Sat 02-Jul-16 08:18:58

Professor, all of your threads reveal your painfully facile and superficial grasp on the topic of the referendum. You post these idiotic, goady statements which you are utterly incapable of coming back and defending. You presumably have a good guffaw at how hilarious you imagine yourself to be and then don't come back and engage with the thoughtful and considered replies which people have the patience to give you. If I was one of the intelligent and articulate Leave voters on here, I would be enormously frustrated by your concerted attempts to prove all the unpleasant generalisations about Leave voters true.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Sun 03-Jul-16 09:55:39

I was busy yesterday.. I do have a life outside an internet forum.

I actually agree with Fandabby.. It would not be a good place if everyone thought exactly the same.. As to whether people will be allowed to stay where they are? It was a talking point and various people were saying that a leave would not mean repatriating everyone who is here. Of course that may not turn out to be the case. So yes it would be a risk to move into the rest of Europe now.

And yes Europe is more than just the free movement of people. It is also about corruption and inefficiency and trying to force very different cultures into a single mould. It is about fiddling the accounts to make a country "look" like it conforms to the converegence criteria with the predictable consequences for Greece. It is about homogenous regulations that are needed in one country but not another. It is about bureacracy. It is about professional pressure groups promoting their agenda to the benefit of themselves and the disadvantage of others. It is a out the inability of the ordinary woman to vote against the government.

It is also about creating a single market. It is about trying to create the conditions to avoid conflict and war. It is about having the interrnational clout to negotiate with homogenous groups like China and America. It is about cultural exchange. It is about opportunity.

I have never thought the decision would be easy or that leaving would be anything other than a lot of hard work.,The fact that the result was very close shows there is no easy or right answer.

howtorebuild Sun 03-Jul-16 09:59:54

A country with just the exit voters would be a sad place indeed.. please clarify what this means, as it sounds like you decent like the majority because they aren't all graduates.

RufusTheReindeer Sun 03-Jul-16 10:00:21

Are you too busy to come back to your "bigots" thread?

howtorebuild Sun 03-Jul-16 10:00:36

*don't like

RaeSkywalker Sun 03-Jul-16 10:04:33

So if we had voted Remain would you have been starting a 'tongue in cheek' thread suggesting that all Leave voters physically leave Europe? hmm

I'd love to write something more articulate than that, but I really can't be arsed.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Sun 03-Jul-16 10:13:14

Actually we would accept the result and move to Europe. If we have to live under an unelected bureacracy we might as well have better weather, better food, better roads and a more relaxed way of life.

powershowerforanhour Sun 03-Jul-16 10:16:18

OP, that's kind of like saying that all the nationalists in Northern Ireland (a very large minority) should just leave their homes and piss off down south if they really want to be Irish so much. That sort of attitude does not make for a contented, cohesive society.

powershowerforanhour Sun 03-Jul-16 10:20:12

Also- "tongue in cheek" or the even more wanky "tongue very firmly in cheek" usually doesn't mean you're being amusing, just a knob for the sake of it.

CaptainBrickbeard Sun 03-Jul-16 10:28:52

Are you bilingual, Professor? Just wondering if, had you moved abroad, you would have immediately renounced the English language lest an innocent European be out for an evening walk and be made 'uncomfortable' by hearing you speak a foreign language to your husband? And you wouldn't be cooking anymore British dishes, would you? What were your other rules for immigrants that you set out on that other thread? They made great reading, I remember that much...

MilesHuntsWig Sun 03-Jul-16 10:28:57

Just stop with the goady threads, you've already embarrassed yourself on your "bigots" one as a pp pointed out...

Ok we get it, you voted Leave. Slow clap.

ProfessorPreciseaBug Sun 03-Jul-16 10:31:54

I have met a few catholics from NI who have decided to leave because of the nastyness of the so called Unionists.. (who btw I think are a nasty bunch of biggots).

All I am saying is, if you think your life is not as good as it should be, you do have the freedom of choice to do something. It is a valuable thing to be able to choose. If you consider the rewards of making a change will not outweigh the effort, it is your choice. If you choose to not take advantage of the freedoms you have, that again is your choice.

(Ps, I am off to do some work... can't spend all day in bed!)

tabulahrasa Sun 03-Jul-16 10:33:26

"Actually we would accept the result and move to Europe. If we have to live under an unelected bureacracy we might as well have better weather, better food, better roads and a more relaxed way of life."

So you're moving to get away from the House of Lords, the civil service and the monarchy?...

DailyFailAteMyFish Sun 03-Jul-16 10:35:30

Because we fear the housing market is screwed?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now