Intimidation and Bullying from Eurocrats towards British MEPs in Brussels

(52 Posts)
Winterbiscuit Fri 01-Jul-16 14:08:09

British MEPs subjected to campaign of intimidation in Brussels

"Last night, disgruntled Eurocrats were seen approaching British MEPs outside the parliament building, one passing a sarcastic note ‘congratulating’ them on Brexit. ‘Remain on your island! No pity!’ the note said."

"The ‘United Kingdom’ sign that hangs above MEPs’ post boxes in the European Parliament was ripped down by a furious Eurocrat"

"British officials reported being thrown out of meetings unrelated to Brexit. One was ejected from a session discussing development projects in Ethiopia because he worked for a Eurosceptic MEP."

"In another incident, European colleagues sought to intimidate British officials by chanting, ‘leave, leave, leave".

"One official, who was abused by a Eurocrat on the train from London to Brussels, told MailOnline that the man launched a foul-mouthed rant after overhearing him speaking in English. ‘He was flicking his fingers in our faces and shouting, “you’re a f***ing disgrace”,’ the official said."

"Some party leaders have warned their MEPs to ‘keep their heads down’ after minor scuffles on the Eurostar and outside EU buildings ‘could have turned nasty’."

"David Cambell Bannerman, a Conservative MEP, said: ‘These attacks are pretty despicable. European nationalism is a serious problem. It has got incredibly vindictive since we voted to leave.""

"According to officials working for British MEPs, the tone was set by the president of the European parliament, Martin Schulz, who sent a round-robin email to British workers in Brussels which some interpreted as promising jobs in return for ‘loyalty’."

"‘I am worried that I have been tainted by working in a British office,’ said one Polish member of EU staff. ‘We are being asked to prove our loyalty to the EU or our careers will not survive.’"

Roger Helmer MEP said "‘We are seeing the beginning of a spiteful, dirty tricks campaign designed to make life difficult for the British in Brussels, simply because we voted to leave the EU".

Dan Hannan MEP said "This has been going on in a more moderate form for years. There is always a loud round of applause in the European parliament whenever people are disparaging Britain. Now we are just seeing it in an unmuzzled, intensified form."

"‘It rather explains why people voted for Leave in the first place.’"

Thefuturecouldbebright Fri 01-Jul-16 14:16:21

😱😱😱

Spinflight Fri 01-Jul-16 15:14:11

Hmm.. Our ukip MEPs are tough cookies so rather disappointing to see them moaning.

Frankly, whilst I do agree with their cause, they have quite deliberately stoked anger and resentment both in their demeanor and use of the facilities.

We have to accept that there are some who take great solace in the EU and it's efforts, that they view ukip MEPs as disrespectful is their right.

There is little that smacks of statesmanship or diplomacy in ukips dealings, indeed the viral videos of farage speaking are often unrelated to the matter being discussed and aimed purely at a wider audience, often then only with heavy editing.

Unless one of them is physically harmed I'd personally just tell them to suck it up.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Fri 01-Jul-16 15:15:29

Hmm.. Our ukip MEPs are tough cookies so rather disappointing to see them moaning

Dan Hannan isn't UKIP

YokoUhOh Fri 01-Jul-16 15:17:00

Is this a UKIP counter-claim to the hundreds of racist incidents that have occurred over the past week? If so, it's beyond satire.

Alfieisnoisy Fri 01-Jul-16 15:18:46

After what Nigel Farage said to them I am not surprised that they have no desire to work with us. He was an utter prat and made us look ridiculous in the eyes of the world. Nice one Nige!

AgnetaTheViking Fri 01-Jul-16 15:29:13

So some think it's OK to give 2 fingers to the EU, to openly insult them (like Farage), to threaten to treat their citizens like hostages (like Pearson ) and abuse them in the street ( like this ) to blame them for all that's gone wrong in the UK (like the Daily Mail), to accuse them of furthering Hitler's plan for European domination (like my mother) but then start bleating when those people they clearly hate stop playing nicely with them.

DiggersRest Fri 01-Jul-16 15:32:13

What Agneta said. Tiny taste of how shit life is going to get for Brits with regards to the EU.

Winterbiscuit Fri 01-Jul-16 15:48:13

The hundreds of racist incidents you refer to have not been carried out by British politicians, so it's not a reasonable comparison.

It is consistent to deplore both racism and this kind of behaviour in Brussels. If a nation opts to leave the EU then discussions should be professional and considerate between everyone.

The article isn't about UKIP, and to blame Farage isn't convincing. He's just one person among many. It's about the bullying behaviour chosen by Eurocrats towards not only British MEPs, but staff and pro-Remain politicians as well.

Winterbiscuit Fri 01-Jul-16 15:59:53

I'm very surprised that people are trying to imply it's acceptable and about UKIP. Anyone in the EU will know dozens of British people who are ordinary, sensible and non-UKIP. They know full well that extremists, racists and Ukippers like Farage and Pearson do not represent most British people. They'll have seen that the vast majority of British dealings with the EU have been polite, cordial and professional, despite disagreements, and that's how it should be. It is not at all acceptable for politicians with conflicting ideas to harrass, bully and threaten their colleagues, or to try to deny it's a problem.

Winterbiscuit Fri 01-Jul-16 16:04:01

"Tiny taste of how shit life is going to get for Brits with regards to the EU."

I think it shows exactly why we need to leave as soon as possible.

BreakingDad77 Fri 01-Jul-16 16:09:25

So some think it's OK to give 2 fingers to the EU, to openly insult them (like Farage), to threaten to treat their citizens like hostages (like Pearson ) and abuse them in the street ( like this ) to blame them for all that's gone wrong in the UK (like the Daily Mail), to accuse them of furthering Hitler's plan for European domination (like my mother) but then start bleating when those people they clearly hate stop playing nicely with them.

This x100 the crying victim is diabolical, I can only imagine that Farages etc racial superiority complex is short of planetary!

Winterbiscuit Fri 01-Jul-16 16:13:05

Again, this isn't about Farage. If anyone in the EU has a problem with Farage they should (and regularly do) just say it to his face.

Treating all UK staff vindictively is very different. True colours are being shown.

RosesareSublime Fri 01-Jul-16 16:13:08

I agree winter thank goodness we have got out, how can people agree with this.

Some mighty hypocrisy going on. But then some elements think its fine to be racist to the British and run them down. sad

RosesareSublime Fri 01-Jul-16 16:14:02

Winter this is highlighting to me how many people think Farage is the only person representing us in the EU, shows a distinct lack of understanding IMO.

BreakingDad77 Fri 01-Jul-16 16:17:31

Winter this is highlighting to me how many people think Farage is the only person representing us in the EU, shows a distinct lack of understanding IMO.

You cant cry the EU isn't working if you have people that dont even turn up, physically or mentally.

Destinysdaughter Fri 01-Jul-16 16:22:37

Surely this was to be expected? Look what's happening on the streets of Britain and on social media? All the racist and xenophobic abuse. Of course there's going to be a backlash.

Winterbiscuit Fri 01-Jul-16 16:25:46

The vast majority of MEPs do turn up, yet the EU still isn't working.

And the vast majority of those on the "leave" side, including the official campaign Vote Leave, would roundly condemn any racism which has been going on.

Yet when those against Brexit behave badly, they are supported.

LurkingHusband Fri 01-Jul-16 16:34:29

The hundreds of racist incidents you refer to have not been carried out by British politicians

In a democracy, politicians choose to stand as representatives of the people. If this means occasionally that have to take the slings and arrows directed at their people, then that's part of life.

I am not condoning it. But bear in mind MEPs are paid by us. The poor people being abused in the streets stand for no one but themselves.

user1467101855 Fri 01-Jul-16 16:47:36

Source Daily Mail.

Definitely must be true then. hmm

Tikeswithslidestohide Fri 01-Jul-16 16:53:03

"It is consistent to deplore both racism and this kind of behaviour in Brussels. If a nation opts to leave the EU then discussions should be professional and considerate between everyone."

As professional and considerate as the Brexit campaign I take it?

wowfudge Fri 01-Jul-16 16:56:34

Of course everything in the Daily Mail is the truth...... hmm

Tikeswithslidestohide Fri 01-Jul-16 17:06:20

winter I must say that the way you post and how you present your arguments reminds me so much of the typical rhetoric of extremist groups such as Cage etc. It's all about how victimised you and yours are yet you have no sympathy for the real victims of Brexit, the uncertainty of 4 million EU citizens currently living either here or abroad, whose families might be torn apart, who have built their lives in a EU country in good faith and contributed and who now stand to loose all. UKIP today suggested to use 3 mill EU citizens in Britain as hostages, not cool. Here you are celebrating looser Farage who obnoxiously insults ethnic populations, refuges, the EU and MEP (he's not the messiah he's just a naughty boy) yet you present Farage as the victim. Give me a break.

I am quite familiar with rhetoric like yours and detest it. It is so disingenuous, simplistic and goading, some would say primitive. People use it when they haven't got real, intelligent arguments. biscuit

Arcadia Fri 01-Jul-16 17:15:21

biscuitthe daily mail is an evil paper

scaryteacher Fri 01-Jul-16 17:43:30

Tikes The article says British officials, so that could be the FCO staff employed at UKREP in Brussels, as opposed to MEPs, or those who are seconded to the EU from the UK. Junker made it clear the UK would have to abide by the treaty obligations and responsibilities until we left, well, in that case, so should the EU, especially as the dosh is still bring forked over.

I live near Brussels, and I am not worried about the future. Until Article 50 has been triggered, and negotiations completed, then there is no point getting overwrought about what may or may not happen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now