Could my family avoid Brexit by moving to Scotland?

(13 Posts)
DartmoorWilderness Thu 30-Jun-16 14:50:35

My young family and I reside in the England- and are all of English descent (no dual nationalities or claim to parental ones etc. is what I mean!)

Theoritcally if Scotland did leave the UK and remained in the European Union, could we move there before that point and remain in the EU that way?

Would you have had to live in Scotland for a period of time before that point?

Or is everything so all over the place, no one has a clue what's going to happen! smile

AdultingIsNotWhatIExpected Thu 30-Jun-16 14:53:38

I guess (and it is a guess) that if you moved now it'ld be okay, because we're still in the EU

if you waited until you needed to move, it might be too late to qualify to move IYKWIM

That's assuming scotland stayed somehow

Thefuturecouldbebright Thu 30-Jun-16 14:53:44

They wont be in the EU, its exceptionally unlikely, move to scotland by all means if you love it there, but it wouldnt be wise to place all your bets on the EU outcome. Spain will never allow it to happen, think of the basque separatist agenda.

Mistigri Thu 30-Jun-16 14:55:39

You might be better off moving to Ireland if you're serious about this. I don't know enough about the ins and outs of Irish citizenship to know the details, but I believe that Northern Ireland residents can get an Irish passport too (presumably under certain conditions).

MyKingdomForBrie Thu 30-Jun-16 14:58:55

It won't happen while Scotland is part of the UK but it might well if they cede. The Spanish argument would no longer hold water.

Thefuturecouldbebright Thu 30-Jun-16 15:02:23

But I think it would, because the basque region would increase their bid for independence If they thought they could get some deal with the EU out of it...

Thefuturecouldbebright Thu 30-Jun-16 15:03:32

Which wouldnt happen of course, but they would certainly garner more support by telling people they would.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 30-Jun-16 15:04:07

But if Scotland became independent it would because they face being dragged out if the EU - this dies not apply to Catalonia (unless Spain leaves the EU)

Thefuturecouldbebright Thu 30-Jun-16 15:06:35

I know, I agree, its complicated, but I cannot see that spain would give any ground at all that could potentially send mixed messages on this issue. Just cant see it happening tbh..

Thefuturecouldbebright Thu 30-Jun-16 15:08:03

My point is, OP would be taking quite a risk to base the decision on this factor alone.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 30-Jun-16 15:14:03

Anyway, OP, if Scotland became independent and remained in EU I'm pretty sure you would be very welcome to move at that point - Scotland needs more immigration.

AdultingIsNotWhatIExpected Thu 30-Jun-16 15:31:30

here's the problem, IF scotland was to have a future outside of the UK and in the EU, that'll take more than 2 years.

So by the time you were sure that scotland was a safe bet, we'ld be long out of the EU, and then our rights to move there might be reduced.

If however you move up there within our 2 years, you've no guarentee at all that it'll ever happen

Ireland: It's a major culture change, yes people speak English, but it is a different country and culture. If you move where your industry is (i.e. cities) you may struggle to get a school place if not catholic. Their womens rights are miles behind ours too.

Ireland is not like England but not England

It's a lovely country, but it is a different country.

And as it stands now, you wouldn't be entitled to any benefits if you fall on hard times in the first 3 years (except child benefit)

RortyCrankle Thu 30-Jun-16 15:38:49

If Scotland had another referendum and they voted for independence, it would not be them remaining in the EU while the UK extricated itself. They would have to apply to join the EU requiring approval by all 27 member states and as Thefuturecouldbebright correctly pointed out, there are several EU countries with separatist issues of their own who will block the application. At the very least, it could take months/years for Scotland's application to be accepted, whereupon they will probably have to join the EU and accept Schengen etc.

While Scotland waited to be admitted, it would have to be financially independent with it's own currency (it will not be given permission to use the pound sterling) relying on dwindling oil supplies and with the oil prices at rock bottom. There will be no-one to bail them out if they got into difficulty.

To top off the above, it's very probable that other EU countries will be holding their own referenda and the whole thing will likely implode anyway in the next few years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now