march for europe - london - saturday 2nd july

(228 Posts)
xmasadsboohiss Wed 29-Jun-16 22:44:09

www.facebook.com/events/1732671000335981/

xmasadsboohiss Wed 29-Jun-16 22:53:18

This is the blurb about the march. I'm travelling with my family from outside London to attend. Looking forward to it

We are marching across London on the 2nd of July from Park Lane to Parliament to protest the lies and misinformation that Boris, Gove, Farage and their cronies fed the British people during the EU referendum. Our voices WILL be heard - join this march to show your support for a better, more prosperous, inclusive and kinder Britain, and help build momentum against one of the worst decisions our government will make in generations.

alltheworld Wed 29-Jun-16 23:00:20

I am coming with my kids

Chris1234567890 Thu 30-Jun-16 00:59:42

Anarchy. Be careful this doesnt back fire.
Remainers, who wished to stay in an un-democratic organisation in europe, now march on london protesting democracy at home too.
Hmm. Im not here for a debate, just pointing out the headline, as the estblishment are slowly turning the narrative to supporting the electorate who won.

thecatfromjapan Thu 30-Jun-16 01:34:15

Dark mutterings from Chrismanynumbers there.

Spooky stuff.

Just5minswithDacre Thu 30-Jun-16 01:41:14

Chris has a point.

thecatfromjapan Thu 30-Jun-16 02:21:03

I disagree. Leaving the EU is a huge decision. Almost half the electorate voted to Remain. The terms of the deal are not yet worked out. It is not time to just make yourself a cup of tea, put 'Eastenders' on, and forget about it.

And I really hate this Mumsnet thing of scaring people off from demonstrations. It's ridiculous.

And lastly: isn't it about time we all started taking what the right-wing press say with a pinch of salt? If the last week has taught us nothing else, please God, may it have taught us that.

thecatfromjapan Thu 30-Jun-16 02:23:26

And, fuck me, I am so over ever hearing dark mutterings, or wild rantings, about 'the estblishment' [sic] ever, ever again.

crossroads3 Thu 30-Jun-16 06:59:25

I am going too.

The referendum was advisory, close and a decision of this magnitude should not have been left to us. As for the main players in the campaign, I hate them all. Ambitious narcissists the lot of them and that includes you Dave angry.

I don't think it's undemocratic to march. It's the expressing of an opinion and that is profoundly democratic.

Are we supposed to shut up on the basis of an ugly lie filled campaign and a non binding close vote? It certainly wouldn't have been the end of it for Farage if the result had come out in favour of remain.

mollie123 Thu 30-Jun-16 07:03:18

biscuit

HelpfulChap Thu 30-Jun-16 07:10:19

A Remain friend told me on FB (paraphrasing) that democracy isn't all it is cracked up to be afterall it allowed Hitler to get into power.......

ApocalypseSlough Thu 30-Jun-16 07:13:33

I'll be there with family, meeting (or possibly not if its very busy!) friends and more family.

CaptainBrickbeard Thu 30-Jun-16 07:23:03

The right to protest is a democratic right. The march is an expression of democracy. Democracy is not limited to one vote on one day and no discussion afterwards. The fact that this march can happen along with all the other contesting from Remainers is a example of what democracy actually is. We all have the right to a voice. What is undemocratic is the Leave side telling us to shut up and accept their choice - we won't and we shouldn't.

InShockReally Thu 30-Jun-16 07:30:55

Fuck it, if the leavers here don't like it and are offering biscuits, I'm in.

It is NOT DEMOCRACY to lie and mislead masses of people into voting something which isn't for their own good. That's just another form of dictatorship in disguise.

I KNOW that some leavers (especially the MN demographic) had their own non-racist reasons for voting, but nothing I've read in the past week suggests that's true of the entire group (I've been scouring for good news to change my mind).

RoseDeGambrinus Thu 30-Jun-16 09:52:35

I'm going. With a toddler.

Oibeer Thu 30-Jun-16 09:56:48

"What is undemocratic is the Leave side telling us to shut up and accept their choice - we won't and we shouldn't."

^100%

Just5minswithDacre Thu 30-Jun-16 10:18:47

I KNOW that some leavers (especially the MN demographic) had their own non-racist reasons for voting

Thank you for acknowledging that smile

Just5minswithDacre Thu 30-Jun-16 10:23:31

I disagree. Leaving the EU is a huge decision. Almost half the electorate voted to Remain. The terms of the deal are not yet worked out. It is not time to just make yourself a cup of tea, put 'Eastenders' on, and forget about it.

And I really hate this Mumsnet thing of scaring people off from demonstrations. It's ridiculous.

Blimey cat I adore a good demo or march. I didn't realise it was an 'MN thing' to not like them TBH.

BUT aren't there some fundamental issues with marching in protest at the result of an official public vote? Because what's the core demand? To ignore the result presumably? And even if one is okay with that in principle, doesn't it throw up a host of issues?

Such a close vote was always going to be contentious. Nobody's surprised by that.

glitterbomb80 Thu 30-Jun-16 10:27:27

I'm in. With a five month old baby (wearing ear defenders and hanging out near the back, obvs).

Surferjet Thu 30-Jun-16 10:28:22

Nothing wrong with petitions & marches.
But you're wasting your time.

What is undemocratic is the Leave side telling us to shut up and accept their choice - we won't and we shouldn't

Well you should. You lost.
You can complain all you like, the leave camp will have their way, ( I think they can organise petitions & marches too wink )

Dacc Thu 30-Jun-16 10:34:04

Consider the Remainers told us there would be World War 3, 20% immediately slashed off house prices and that there would be an immediate emergency budget where tax would be raised don't you think you're being a hypocrite?

However, I support your democratic right to protest against democracy.

W8woman Thu 30-Jun-16 10:35:27

Good luck organising your own march, Leavers.

You people can't organise anything, and that's why we're in the shit.

Dacc Thu 30-Jun-16 10:37:58

You people can't organise anything, and that's why we're in the shit

We're in the shit* because successive government's have treated the working class like shit.

*We're not in the shit yet.

Just5minswithDacre Thu 30-Jun-16 10:43:16

We're in the shit because successive government's have treated the working class like shit.*

* We're not in the shit yet.

This.

Surferjet Thu 30-Jun-16 10:44:41

you people shock

I'm sorry we breath the same air as you.
Perhaps you'd like to start a petition about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now