What does 'I want my country back' mean to you'?

(65 Posts)
Blue4ever Wed 29-Jun-16 18:20:01

That's it really. I just want to know what people mean by that. I am not British, I came to live in London 20 years ago, and I just don't know what to make of it - considering that one of my work colleagues keeps on putting it on her Facebook page, and she works at my children's school.

BretonTop Wed 29-Jun-16 18:22:11

I have no idea. I'm British born, never left apart from a few months here and there, and as far as I know Britain hasn't gone anywhere or been given away to anyone.

I tend to associate those who say/post things like that with xenophobes.

Stilllovingmysleep Wed 29-Jun-16 18:22:33

It means that they don't want foreigners here. Basically it's a far right, anti immigrant position. It also has an imaginary link to the 'long lost days' of empire ie going back supposedly to the 'good old days'.

Brokenbiscuit Wed 29-Jun-16 18:22:34

It means nothing to me whatsoever.

PetronellaOsgood Wed 29-Jun-16 18:24:03

I automatically presume that the person saying it is a racist, that's all it means to me.

tribpot Wed 29-Jun-16 18:25:06

I would also like to hear what this means. It seems to be linked to the idea that we can make our own laws (on a range of topics .. possibly) so taking the country 'back' from control by Brussels.

dragonsarebest Wed 29-Jun-16 18:25:56

What still said. Nostalgic, sentimental, misinformed and unpleasant.

Brokenbiscuit Wed 29-Jun-16 18:28:51

Yes, when I say it means nothing to me, I mean that it has no meaning for me personally. As a pp said, I'm not aware of our country ever having been taken away, so I don't feel any need to take it back.

When I hear it from other people, I do assume that they are racist and/or xenophobic.

Eglantyne Wed 29-Jun-16 18:29:26

To me personally it means they are racist and I'd be uncomfortable with someone who is happy to put that on FB working with my kids.

That1950sMum Wed 29-Jun-16 18:32:16

I assume anyone who says is or posts it on social media is racist.

It is a meaningless phrase, but I suspect it is used by people hankering after the "good old days" of the empire.

InShockReally Wed 29-Jun-16 18:32:33

Well ... It's not just racist, in that for some people it's "I want us to make our own laws and not be accountable to anyone else".

For the majority it's racist PLUS somebody else. "I want my country back from everyone who dilutes my ideals of it - any different race, language, yes, but also LGBT people, feminists, anyone too young or too old, anyone too educated, anyone too rich, anyone too prosperous, anyone who argues with me or thinks differently or has different values."

It's fucking awful and once one scapegoat falls another will be put in its place.

I don't agree that we shouldn't be accountable to others either. I'm fine with joint laws across Europe.

InShockReally Wed 29-Jun-16 18:32:53

*something else not somebody

Honeyandfizz Wed 29-Jun-16 18:37:09

There was an older mother and her two daughters being interviewed on central news & they said (about brexit) "we voted out so now our country can get back to normal". Thick ignorants, what they meant was "we are racist pigs & want all foreigners to leave this country". There's no arguing with stupid.

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Wed 29-Jun-16 18:38:29

To me it means taking back responsibility for our laws, not throwing anyone out of the country. I'm sorry that immigrants now feel unwelcome, I wanted to get rid of the EU political structures, not Europeans.

originalmavis Wed 29-Jun-16 18:40:46

I wasn't aware I'd misplaced it. Oh well, it's always the last place you'd look.

Scoopmuckdizzy Wed 29-Jun-16 18:41:37

I'm not really sure. I've also been trying to work this one out - "Make Britain great again"

CocktailQueen Wed 29-Jun-16 18:42:49

It's a soundbite. Meaning nothing. It's what people say when they haven't thought hard enough about the referendum.

Or it could be said by older people hankering back to the 'good old days' - though have only heard younger people say it.

AdultingIsNotWhatIExpected Wed 29-Jun-16 18:43:19

To me it means taking back responsibility for our laws

for example? which specific laws did GB implement which they didn't agree with/sign off on, and of those laws, what do you think those specific law should say instead?

HeartOnTheLine Wed 29-Jun-16 18:43:52

I am really tired of reading threads like this, they are just distressing and I hate hearing about racism and racist people, I'm mixed with Black & Asian and it is really upsetting knowing there are people out there that want non English/Caucasian to leave the country sad

HereSheComestoSavetheDay Wed 29-Jun-16 18:45:25

It means being selfish and racist, if you ask me.

sianihedgehog Wed 29-Jun-16 18:45:54

Dogwhistle for racists.

Arfarfanarf Wed 29-Jun-16 18:47:02

Yup. It means the person saying it is likely to be a bigot.

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Wed 29-Jun-16 18:47:25

Well, as a general rule I think it means "I am a twat. A big racist twat. I dislike and fear people who are different to me because I am ignorant and narrow-minded and a massive twatty twat."

SanityClause Wed 29-Jun-16 18:51:17

I want my Europe back. sad

That1950sMum Wed 29-Jun-16 18:51:35

Spuriouser

While I agree with your definitinion, I should like to add that it can also mean
"I am an enormous cockwomble and I can't be bothered to think for myself so I'll just repeat anything Nigel Farage says because he is king of all the cockwombles"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now