Interested to hear what both sides think of an EEA style third way?

(15 Posts)
morningrunner Wed 29-Jun-16 10:29:17

EEA has the following- benefits- access to the single market, free movement of persons, obligation to harmonise laws in certain areas such as environment, workers rights competition law , state aid, etc

Agriculture and Fisheries are not covered non EU EEA members do not have to contribute to the costs of the Common Agricultural Policy. There are none of the extra 'political ' bits of the EU such as common foreign and security policy. non EU EEA members are free to negotiate their own trade deals with third countries

its a bit like the EC before Maastrict but after the introduction of the Single Market if you can imagine that

At the moment non EU EEA members have little say ( not no say- they do actually get consulted) in the content of the laws that they have to harmonise with EU law. That will have to change to some degree if a country with an economy the size of UK enters.

No veto on new EU members and the UK would have to accept freedom of movement. So if 'stopping immigration' was your reason for voting leave it would not be for you.

LittlePickleHead Wed 29-Jun-16 12:25:52

As a remain voter this would be best scenario if article 50 is invoked. I think it's also more likely for us to reach an agreement before 2 years is up if we use a pre-existing model.

My worry is that it will be too an attractive proposition for the eu to allow it and risk other countries following suit.

Also the immigration issue - this seems to be the focus that dc has placed on reason for leaving. Would they really be willing to risk an agreement that doesn't address this?

I want to be positive, but I can't see a positive outcome right now

scaryteacher Wed 29-Jun-16 12:33:35

It was interesting yesterday as Merkel was quoted as talking about free movement of labour, as opposed to free movement of people. You have to prove when you come to Belgium that you have a job and won't be claiming anything; is that a possibility?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 29-Jun-16 12:39:03

I believe that is the same across Europe, it's just that the UK doesn't bother enforcing it?

tiggytape Wed 29-Jun-16 12:51:16

I think it will potentially appeal to some remain voters as nearer the option they wanted all along but that wasn't on the ballot paper.
The Remain campaign is not a completely united group - it too has people who are much more or less keen on the EU than others.

People who were half minded to vote Leave because of sovereignty or governance concerns - but who ended up voting Remain to preserve free trade and free movement of people (or labour) - may well feel that they have got more of what they wanted in the end. Of course whether we actually end up with as the final solution and how well the economy can run whilst the negotiations play out over months and months is another unknown.

ErrolTheDragon Wed 29-Jun-16 13:12:15

Probably the best we can hope for. Might be enough for those who claimed 'sovereignty' was their reason for wanting out. But how will all those whose real reason was immigration react?

Anyone who said 'but thats not what we voted out for' .... surely it was obvious to anyone who bothered to think even slightly about the available options that this was a likely one?

morningrunner Wed 29-Jun-16 14:09:17

The EU can't stop the uk from joining the EEA- the UK is already a member in its own right. The EEA treaty is online. Go and have a look!

cathyandclaire Wed 29-Jun-16 14:21:50

Is that true Morning Runner? Is that not only the case if we're part of the EU?
Really hope, you're right.

BumbleNova Wed 29-Jun-16 14:26:19

um its not morning runner - we need to agree with the remaining EU states to accede to the EEA. sorry to burst your bubble.

EEA is the least terrible option if we leave the EU. BUT - it is a dramatically worse deal that if we stay in.

we still need to comply with all EU legislation.
we have to pay for membership.
we still have to have free movement (this is not optional or negotiable)
we receive NO EU funding
we have no power to negotiate or be involved with any of the laws that we will have to comply with.

for anyone to suggest that this is step up is moronic.

Marmitelover55 Wed 29-Jun-16 15:05:28

People who voted to leave may not be satisfied with the EEA but we would be out of the EU so their vote would have been complied with. I would much prefer to remain in the EU with all of the additional benefits (I voted remain) but feel this might be a viable compromise. My guess is that is why the financial markets have stabilised a bit as they think this is the likely scenario.

BumbleNova Wed 29-Jun-16 15:08:59

agreed marmite. people have realised that no conservative government would permit the loss of the financial services passports because of the damage that would do the city of london. therefore, we need to be at the very least part of the EEA.

morningrunner Wed 29-Jun-16 15:20:20

U.K. Has signed in its own name as a contracting party. There is no requirement for us to accede to anything. Go look if you don't believe me. There is no requirement for contracting parries to be EC members.

morningrunner Wed 29-Jun-16 15:21:27

I agree it's a pig n a poke compared to full membership but we are where we are

BumbleNova Wed 29-Jun-16 15:33:29

morning you might have missed the fact that we withdrew from the EEA in 1973 (its set out in the recitals to the Vaduz convention).

morningrunner Wed 29-Jun-16 15:52:03

Not sure how that's relevant? The current EEA agreement was entered into by the UK in 1993.

There may be another provision in a later treaty which states that EEA membership ceases if a contracting party who was an EC member at the time of signing (it was the EC then) later ceased to be a member of the EC/EU. It would have to be explicit though.
Do you know of such a provision ?(genuine question smile)Given the shambles of this whole referendum I have absolutely no confidence that anyone has looked at this properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now