remainers, do you have any concerns with immigration? genuine question

(125 Posts)
Grassgreendashhabi Wed 29-Jun-16 08:38:29

I was wondering without labelling or being accused of xenophobic etc. If remainers have issues with the uncontrollable immigration.

I am a leaver but disgusted by the acts of some people with their hatred views,

Do you see immigration as 100% ok or do you think that there is an issue for reform to our immigration.

I'm asking a genuine question, not looking for statistics etc just your personal views

My family are mostly remain but do think that immigration needs more control,

KleineDracheKokosnuss Wed 29-Jun-16 08:58:27

I don't see a problem with EU migration. I believe we get a lot of benefits in return for free movement of labour. I Do on the other hand see a problem with (1) the lack of investment by successive governments to provide the infrastructure needed to support said migrationand (2) the rising inequality across the uk, especially south v north which exacerbates the problems caused by (1).

The UK government could have had rules on EU migration for years (like most of the other Eu countries) but they considered it to be politically inexpedient.

I also don't see a problem with taking in refugees. In fact I see that as a duty. But again see point (1) above.

As for non eu migrants that are not refugees, I again don't see a problem with taking those who we need. but again see point (1).

Frankly, if the governments were not always operating on a short termist basis, we would have the infrastructure to support everyone,we would have more jobs (creating the infrastructure and serving the increased population) and we could have our pick of the best the world has to offer.

HeyMacWey Wed 29-Jun-16 09:00:33

^^ what kleine said.

Destinysdaughter Wed 29-Jun-16 09:03:48

Think kleine has articulated it perfectly

coffeetasteslikeshit Wed 29-Jun-16 09:07:33

I can only see the benefits of immigration.

glitterbomb80 Wed 29-Jun-16 09:09:35

I am an immigrant. One of those dreadful non-EU immigrants. I believe immigration is a positive force, it generates revenue and helps prevent cultural stagnation. But then, I would say that wouldn't I?

The problem in this country as mentioned above is lack of investment in infrastructure, education and training across the country. The obsessive focus of funding in the South East is shameful. But that's not down to us immigrants I'm afraid, that's policy of successive Governments you guys have voted in again and again.

CrotchetQuaverMinim Wed 29-Jun-16 09:14:13

Yes I agree. Immigration is hugely beneficial to the country, and it isn't the reason why people can't get houses, school places, GP appointment etc - those are the fault of continued underfunding of public services, and the government could have changed all that. But people constantly vote the Tories in, because they've been brainwashed into thinking that they shouldn't have to pay any more for public services, and that it's all the fault of benefit scroungers/immigrants/asylum seekers/workshy etc., and then the Tories cut all the services even further. There's no reason we can't support more people if we properly fund the infrastructure, and immigration provides a workforce of people who are willing and able to do many of the jobs we need, pay tax, and support the economy.

Grassgreendashhabi Wed 29-Jun-16 12:53:04

So what I'm getting from you is

Yes immigration is a problem DUE to the lack of government funding etc...

Therefore if government put in the right support then the infrastructure would cope...

So can I ask what party do you think could correct this

RainYourRottingMyDhaliaBulbs Wed 29-Jun-16 12:57:23

"So can I ask what party do you think could correct this"

The pink unicorn party that has a money tree devoted to building new schools, and hospitals as new migrants arrive.

Grassgreendashhabi Wed 29-Jun-16 12:58:54

Rain - thanks but I was trying to have a serious discussion as I appreciate that there are many different arguments going on at the moment,

TheNumberfaker Wed 29-Jun-16 13:00:40

Exactly what Kleine said except I don't know anything about other countries' immigration laws.

Not the stories or UKIP in answer to your later question.

TheNumberfaker Wed 29-Jun-16 13:02:18

Oops, Tories/ stories!

Grassgreendashhabi Wed 29-Jun-16 13:04:40

Thenumber- I would not want UKIP but it's as if we need a conglomerate of a leave and remain party to be in government. Although I am sure this is wishful thinking,

I'm really watching the news now and trying to decipher which party would be best to take us through this period.

SirChenjin Wed 29-Jun-16 13:06:24

I do - and I don't think it's solely down to infrastructure. I live in Scotland so the Tories can't be blamed for everything here, and whilst we obviously voted to remain I know plenty of people in the very poor part of Scotland where I work who have been affected by immigration in a way that the middle classes in our private housing estates haven't - the £40K plus a year Syrian refugee settlement officer job that was advertised recently to deal with 120 refugees raised eyebrows for example.

Somerville Wed 29-Jun-16 13:06:56

As the leadership of both the two largest parties is under debate at the moment, it's impossible to tell yet.

BreakingDad77 Wed 29-Jun-16 13:07:59

basically what kleine said and thats pretty much what all my remain friends think. It under investment, and the tories and labour aren't going to be in any rush to put there hands up to it.

CremeBrulee Wed 29-Jun-16 13:13:42

This photo tells you why immigration is a good thing. The NHS is screwed without it!

Grassgreendashhabi Wed 29-Jun-16 13:17:43

Creme - your picture is showing doctors and nurses. Are you saying that all immigrants are doctors and nurses? No it's a picture trailing Facebook

SirChenjin Wed 29-Jun-16 13:18:19

Absolutely. Controlled immigration is a great thing when the right skill mix comes into a country.

However, the perception is that this is not always the case.

CrotchetQuaverMinim Wed 29-Jun-16 13:20:22

No I don't think immigration is a problem DUE to the underfunding - I think the underfunding IS the problem. The fact that there are some extra people wanting to use the services (and pay tax and support the economy) is by the by. It's a drop in the ocean compared to the problem of an increased population generally wanting better public services and not to pay for them. We need a party that will increase tax and fund infrastructure, not just keep cutting and cutting.

Dozer Wed 29-Jun-16 13:21:32

Whatever your views, leaving the EU is very unlikely to reduce immigration because in order to trade with us freely the EU will require us to agree to free movement of people.

MangoMoon Wed 29-Jun-16 13:22:27

Here is a concise article re the 'Boston Effect':

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36258541

It explains quite well how the area does benefit overall from EU migration, but also the lived experience & 'on the ground' real effect experienced.

Particularly that whilst the town is bustling, with good employment, the average wage has been driven down at the same time as house prices & rental prices have risen alarmingly.

Also the extra money required to cater for the amount of different languages etc in schools for eg.

So whilst immigration is of net benefit to the country it adversely affects the individual communities directly.

Something that I feel a lot of Remain advocates have missed.

HeyMacWey Wed 29-Jun-16 13:26:15

Yes - crochet is correct - underfunding is the problem and the govt have used the narrative of immigration as being the problem. This takes the pressure off them and their ongoing 'reforms'.

Threepineapples Wed 29-Jun-16 13:26:41

What kleine said

I don't believe there is currently a political party capable of delivering what we need to improve infrastructure, no.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't challenge ourselves as a society, including our representatives in parliament, to find the answers to these issues

seagreengirl Wed 29-Jun-16 13:26:44

Remainers who don't see any problem with uncontrolled immigration, what do you think about massive numbers of people who DO see it as a problem, who basically made the leave vote happen.

Do you think that their concerns should just be ignored on the basis that they are "racist". Because, surely dismissing millions of people as ignorant racists is undemocratic, and extremely shortsighted. As has been shown to be the case.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now